• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IEATRIO

IEATRIO

Just a word to the wise for those here trying the Roscioli recipe, to save them some grief. Don't try to make the recipe with North American consumer flours -- I did and it didn't remotely work - soup.  I tried again with the Caputo 00 and the recipe ratio worked precisely as written in the book and the dough was perfectly hydrated and workable. I thought the finished results were good and worth the effort.

I think people make a mistake by lumping all Roman styles into a single Roman Style. As one would expect, there are many sub-styles. Those who prefer an airy style will enjoy the Roscioli recipe. I love Roscioli - though very much don't like Pizzarium/Bonci that is a similar style dough (though not remotely similar with the stuff he piles on top - but I prefer thinner "shorter" styles that I think are more typical outside of the tourist zones. These are often sheeted to get them so thin and crisp and made even crisper with a well oiled pan or even fat in the dough, which makes them ideal for simple sauceless toppings. Unfortunately, these are the most difficult  to make at home without the proper equipment (or skill) to make them so thin.

IEATRIO

IEATRIO

Just a word to the wise for those here trying the Roscioli recipe, to save them some grief. Don't try to make the recipe with North American consumer flours -- I did and it didn't remotely work - soup.  I tried again with the Caputo and the recipe ratio worked precisely as written in the book and the dough was perfectly hydrated and workable. I thought the finished results were good and worth the effort.

I think people make a mistake by lumping all Roman styles into a single Roman Style. As one would expect, there are many sub-styles. Those who prefer an airy style will enjoy the Roscioli recipe. I love Roscioli - though very much don't like Pizzarium/Bonci that is a similar style dough (though not remotely similar with the stuff he piles on top - but I prefer thinner "shorter" styles that I think are more typical outside of the tourist zones. These are often sheeted to get them so thin and crisp and made even crisper with a well oiled pan or even fat in the dough, which makes them ideal for simple sauceless toppings. Unfortunately, these are the most difficult  to make at home without the proper equipment (or skill) to make them so thin.