• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

No seriously? My hands get tingly  when I'm low on Bs and my understanding was you can't od on Bs, they are water soluble so they flush through. I'm right with you on one thing, though, I'd rather do cheese than vitamins.  :biggrin:

they are water soluble but especially B6 can concentrate and cause neuropathy. happened to me. course i can't take calcium since it concentrates in my kidneys.

Well, thanks. It's completely opposite to what I thought and I guess I ought to do some research, because I am chronically low on Bs to the extent I get shots every month.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

:cool:

Potato wedges, marinated in olive oil, salted and peppered, and baked at 375 degrees F for a half hour or so.

With a nice big splodge of good mayonnaise for dipping and a glass or two of round rich white wine.

I'm gonna be okay. Real soon.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 3 weeks later...
:cool:

Potato wedges, marinated in olive oil, salted and peppered, and baked at 375 degrees F for a half hour or so.

With a nice big splodge of good mayonnaise for dipping and a glass or two of round rich white wine.

I'm gonna be okay.  Real soon.

:wink:

I've done that with potato gems. (otherwise known as Tater Tots). Seriously good.

Tonight's dinner consisted of macaroni cheese with cocktail frankfurts stirred through. Dessert will be one emergency blender cupcake (okay, maybe two)

johnnybird kindly helped me with a craving yesterday. he stopped on the way to the hawkwatch at the local diner and picked up a grilled cheese sandwich. he barely got to the hawkwatch and i attacked the still warm sandwich which was gooey and had sliced tomatoes in it as well. it was sooo good and i snarfed it all up. i was kind, though... i let him have the homemade chips.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

I just ate 3/4ths of a jar of Trader Joe's Chili Corn tomatoless salsa, with pita chips. Then I ate the smallest bit of chocolate mint fudge, then I ate a tiny bit more.

Now I have a tiny bit of a tummy ache.

• 3 weeks later...

This just in from a young friend, sadly not a member.

"I split half a baguette, crammed it with American cheese slices, and microwaved it. Half an hour later I took the other half and repeated. Then I dug into the freezer for off brand peanut butter cups from last Hallowe'en. Two glasses of milk."

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me, my sisters, for I have sinned...

Half a box of Hamburger Helper Stroganoff jazzed up with sour cream and fresh herbs, a whole delicato squash, steamed and drowned in butter, salt and pepper and a personal sized Blue Bunny Light Super Fudge Brownie ice cream cup.

::hangs head in abject shame::

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Half a box of Hamburger Helper Stroganoff jazzed up with sour cream and fresh herbs, a whole delicato squash, steamed and drowned in butter, salt and pepper and a personal sized Blue Bunny Light Super Fudge Brownie ice cream cup.

only a personal sized ice cream cup?!! should have been at least a pint, katie.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

only a personal sized ice cream cup?!! should have been at least a pint, katie.

Normally it would have been, but I was too full from the bad prefab boxed protein fix and the huge amounts of fiber from the squash.

I suppose I should be pleased that at least some part of me forces me to eat my veggies along with my PMS fix of foul food sources. :rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I made tarter sauce and have dipped every freaking thing I could find into it ..I am taking the container to work today and leaving it there ..

ok I did not dip the chocolate I was eating in it ..but everything else!

this is a rough month :(

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Spaghetti noodles with the kraft liquid (not the kids blue box powder shit) cheese mix (it's from the mac and cheese box of pasta and the cheese is in a gooey silver envelope thingy.....not powder...so you just clip off the top corner of silver cheese goo, and squeeze it on in....better than the nasty powder stuff.). I don't like the noodles that the package comes with....so i mix it with spaghetti noodles.... it's more to my liking that way :) I also add in a spoonful or two of sour cream, and a handful (or 3) or shredded sharp cheddar cheese....nuke that all up and it's delish. I also only cook the spaghetti until aldente - or even a touch shy of....I also add black pepper and if I am feeling refined....a healthy sprinkling of grated/chopped onion (yes, from the shaker....I swear they are good in there and give it a lil' onion jazz). MMMMM

Along with that - HUGE protions of Haribo gummy bears (did I spell Haribo correctly??? Hmmm....), gummy life savers and reeses peanut butter cups...gotta love halloween candy sales!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Pancakes with whipped honey cinnamon butter and maple sausages.

White garlic sausage onion pizza. The whole pizza.

A pint of Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream.

Reese's Peanut butter cups.

And it's only 2:30. :unsure:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

no cravings... guess i'm officially in menopause

but only the mini ones that have the proper chocolate to peanut butter ratio, right guys?

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I really want McDonalds for breakfast today.

The one side of my brain reminds me "if you eat that, you are going to feel like crap for the next 6 hours, and get hungry again real fast." Then, the PMS side goes "bissssscuuuiiiiiiiitttssssss...droool".

And it continues on....

Today: 3 (yes three) bagels from Einstien bagels....2 honey wheat, 1 pumpkin, each loaded (as in "heavy on the cream cheese" - and they cahrge you more for double cream cheese.....cheapo's) with plain cream cheese. And, I purchased an extra tub of pumpkin cream cheese....I have eaten half the tub....served on my index finger (like you do with the peanut butter....come on I know you all do it also).

6 pieces of bacon....microwaved cause I am extra lazy in times like these

A bowl (about 8 oz) of ground beef, which was previously cooked in a skillet for tacos - left over in the fridge, microwaved and topped with dried/chopped minced onions, shredded cheese...the mexican blend, and a large dollop of sour cream from trader joes (which is the best sour cream ever)....eaten straight out of the bowl with a spoon....mmmm beefy goodness

Half of a lindt milk chocolate bar filled with peanut butter (I think these are new to the lindt chocolate bar line). Half a bar means on serving.....b.c the bar has two servings.....

Lots and lots of haribo gummy bears, juju fruits...and the embarrasing part.....handisnacks....three of them (the cheese and cracker lil combo - spread the cheese on the cracker variety).

Along with lots of apple juice, and La Croix sparkling water, lime.

Burp.....

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

On vitamin B6: a friend of mine cured his severe carpal tunnel with it. I take it when mine is acting up, like now.

On That Apple Pie: for me, lately, it has been That Coconut Cake. It has coconut slime in between the layers.

On Tater Tots: Take a piping bag fitted with a small pointed tip, and pipe a small ball of mashed blue cheese into the tot. You will be glad you did.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 3 weeks later...

pasta - just plain with parmesan and lots of butter. chocolate mousse (with lots of whipped cream and chocolate shavings and maybe even a profiterole thrown in there for good measure). french toast. pancakes. waffles. nutella. garlic bread. long, thin fries - lots and lots of them. fanta. cheeseburgers. cheesecake. doughnuts. shortbread. hot chocolate.

anything fatty, sugary, carb-y or fried. preferably all 4 at once.

It's weird, I know I have PMS, I'm bitchy, achy, fatter than usual, my skin looks worse than it did when I was 16...but I do not have the qualifying cravings. In fact, I'm having anti cravings. I don't want anything in particular, no real urge to cook or eat anything. If I get within 4 feet of the pantry, though, I stand there, gazing around, nibbling.

A peanut butter cookie

a handful of multigrain puffy cracker chip things

a bite of dreadfully bad carrot cake that my husband brought home from work

a glass of milk

a glass of V8

a few mugs of green tea

half a spoonful of miso

This was my lunch, taken over the course of two hours. In writing, it certainly looks like a PMS binge, but all told, it wasn't a ton of food, and I didn't really crave any of those things. Nor do I want a proper lunch. Or dinner. Or anything.

I haven't tried booze yet. Maybe I should just open the bourbon now, and get it over with.

but only the mini ones that have the proper chocolate to peanut butter ratio, right guys?

Huh. See, I'm thinking the Big Cups are just right. More peanut butter.

This month I've been sucking down vats of Edy's Chocolate Peanut Butter. The kind in the big supposed to be family size turquoise coloured half gallon, or whatever it is. The pint sized ones are different, they have chocolate chunks in them and they don't work for me. :laugh:

Homemade vegetarian southwest beans (beans, garlic, onions, spices, a little butter, some water, simmered), Kettle Chip's Black Bean Tortilla Chips. Cabot Extra Sharp. Onion and carefully chosen tomatoes in a roughly chopped salsa.

Soon after my cranky-ass post, there, I met with serendipity. I was on my way to watch my son bowl, and I stopped to get coffee and a snack for him. They were just taking fresh baked pretzels out of the oven, as I was standing in line. Sweet cream cheese ones, plaiin ones, cheddar ones, and jalapeno cheddar. I grabbed two jalapeno cheddar pretzels, and had them with my coffee. It was what I was craving. Salty, crunchy, chewy, spicy, and meltingly plastic cheesy. I was lost, and then I was found.

Huh. See, I'm thinking the Big Cups are just right. More peanut butter.

oh, but the minis have the proper balance of chocolate fat to peanut butter fat. your nachos look/taste mentally wonderful.

unfortunately i am about to bid adieu to this thread(though i will monitor it from afar) since i am now in menopause and i no longer have those cravings - and miss them terribly

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

unfortunately i am about to bid adieu to this thread(though i will monitor it from afar) since i am now in menopause and i no longer have those cravings - and miss them terribly

Yeah, my ovaries have applied for retirement since I started this topic. Who knew I'd miss the mess and agony of menses so much, the mood swings, the insatiable cravings, the water bloat, the occasional zit?

But I get an estrogen shot every time I check in here. And I still perform the odd unnatural act with pasta.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com