• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

Funny you picked up on that, I'm a salt-aholic. Left to my own devices, I salt take out pizza.

Wonder why I'm bloat-tated? heee.

And Katie, I hear you on the red meat. when is a cheeseburger ever better then at that exact point on the month?

---------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. For months and months it's been salty, greasy, cheese or red meat, and often all of the above.

But now that my iron levels are near normal again, it's sugar. Cinnamony, buttery, vanilla-y sugar. I just leaned over the counter and ate two giant cinnamon rolls. WITH ICING. Warmed iced cinnamon rolls. With BUTTER pats on top, melting all over the sides and down my chin.

If you'll excuse me now I will go sleep it off. My stomach is as tight as a drum.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Bloat-tated. :laugh:  That word is joining the lexicon for sure...
food wise, it's been bacon. on white bread with mayo. and olives.

Sounds like you oughta just install a salt lick in the house. Although it's murder on the bloatated-ness, I can totally relate to the cravings for salty food, chocolate and (for me at least) red meat!

Once again, Heather Duster comes to the rescue!

Salt Lick BBQ in Texas delivers, albeit not in the vaunted Fressermobile.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

two angus beef ballpark hotdogs sliced open and filled with squirty can cheese with yellow mustard, sweet relish and ketchup...

and a small chocolate chunk cookie freshly baked by our cataloger at work

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Let's see, it was deep fried scallops dipped in mayo!

no kidding...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Ramen noodles...and ramen noodles, and some ramen noodles. I have been restraining myself, though. Only 3 times in the past two days! I just finished a bowl of beef flavor, with sesame seeds, lime juice, and a bit of sriracha. Last night, it was Oriental flavor, broth drained, with curry powder, butter, frozen peas, and leftover fried onions (which was so damn good, I'd serve it to company). Yesterday for breakfast was a LOT of sriracha, fish sauce, and sesame oil in chicken flavored broth, with extra water.

Also, husband brought me home a bottle of Jack Daniel's green label. My weekend starts today, so it's not long for this world, I started on it last night.

At least it's cheap this month.

two angus beef ballpark hotdogs sliced open and filled with squirty can cheese with yellow mustard, sweet relish and ketchup...

Also, now I want a hot dog. With squirty can cheese, and all the rest of the glop. I haven't had sqirty can cheese since I was 12, and I like all those condiments, just not at once, on a hot dog. Somehow, the way you talk it up, it sounds fantastic all together. You're a poet.

Also, now I want a hot dog. With squirty can cheese, and all the rest of the glop. I haven't had sqirty can cheese since I was 12, and I like all those condiments, just not at once, on a hot dog. Somehow, the way you talk it up, it sounds fantastic all together. You're a poet.

thanks, girl... course i'd love to have some of the jack daniels

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ramen noodles...and ramen noodles, and some ramen noodles. I have been restraining myself, though.  Only 3 times in the past two days!  I just finished a bowl of beef flavor, with sesame seeds, lime juice, and a bit of sriracha.  Last night, it was Oriental flavor, broth drained, with curry powder, butter, frozen peas, and leftover fried onions (which was so damn good, I'd serve it to company).  Yesterday for breakfast was a LOT of sriracha, fish sauce, and sesame oil in chicken flavored broth, with extra water. 

Also, husband brought me home a bottle of Jack Daniel's green label.  My weekend starts today, so it's not long for this world, I started on it last night.

Okay and so for the next batch try this: cook the noodles in half as much water, so that when they are finished cooking there is no broth. Then stir fry them in a tablespoon or so of oil until they just begin to get a little crispy. And see how your pms likes that. :hmmm:

Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew. ~Guillaume Apollinaire

Ramen noodles...and ramen noodles, and some ramen noodles. I have been restraining myself, though.  Only 3 times in the past two days!  I just finished a bowl of beef flavor, with sesame seeds, lime juice, and a bit of sriracha.  Last night, it was Oriental flavor, broth drained, with curry powder, butter, frozen peas, and leftover fried onions (which was so damn good, I'd serve it to company).  Yesterday for breakfast was a LOT of sriracha, fish sauce, and sesame oil in chicken flavored broth, with extra water. 

Also, husband brought me home a bottle of Jack Daniel's green label.  My weekend starts today, so it's not long for this world, I started on it last night.

Okay and so for the next batch try this: cook the noodles in half as much water, so that when they are finished cooking there is no broth. Then stir fry them in a tablespoon or so of oil until they just begin to get a little crispy. And see how your pms likes that. :hmmm:

That's BRILLIANT!!! Crispy! That sounds better than eating them raw, even.

I got you an idea here, when I was young we would cook the ramen noodles, drain the water, put cheese and hot dogs in it. No joke...best of both worlds.

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

That's BRILLIANT!!! Crispy! That sounds better than eating them raw, even.

Its better than raw. But you can tell us that once you have tried it.

:smile:

Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew. ~Guillaume Apollinaire

So all winter long, I craved chili. I chilied my little heart out. Diana Kennedy. Rick Bayless. Jane Butel. I hunted down obscure peppers and rare beans. I tried different meats, cut different ways and combined variously. I pounded, pasted, minced, diced, simmered, skimmed, didn't skim. I tried the Marcella Hazan Ragu Bolognese method with Mexican inspired spices and beer. Chocolate, no chocolate, cinnamon, no cinnamon, cloves, no gloves. I tried adding my just soft peppers and onions and garlic at the end, for fresher taste, I tried the long gentle simmer in a crock pot with all the rest of the ingredients, I tried both together.

Turns out what I have been craving all this time is the chili off the Lipton's Beefy Onion Soup packet, with a hefty dose of Penzey's Chili Con Carne spice.

I am such a dork.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

french onion soup with a side of french fries and garlic mayo

with a glass of sweet tea vodka over ice

i am REALLY too old for this anymore :angry:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i am REALLY too old for this anymore :angry:

I am in the same category, but somehow, it still happens. :wacko: Must be Safeway fresh, pillowy butter pan buns with smooth peanut butter. I could polish off 3 at a time!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 1 month later...

Feeling like I was giving birth to a litter of baby porcupines all day. Any minute now...

Dinner tonight. Lots of sliced Jarlsberg cheese. Chopped liver and Russian dressing on Italian bread toasts. Followed by spoonfuls of Shoprite imported (from Italy) Hazelnut Spread. Yes, I stuck the spoon in the faux-Nutella and I loved it. No shame. No apologies. Washed it all back with a diet Ginger Ale, but I'll be needing a cocktail at any moment. Just to take the edge off. The voices in my head are not benevolent ones this evening... :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Anything and everything, doused in garlic butter. Fries. Steaks. Tempura veggies. Popcorn. Pretzels.

Thank god my husband isn't home. I haven't stopped running the deep fryer or chopping garlic for three days now.

I'm going to have to air out the house for a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is month number what? 10? roast chicken and chocolate, topped off with cheesecake.

edit to add because of stupid computer: ever get tired of cravings? I am ready to start craving something different. :wacko:

Edited by CKatCook (log)

Ok, this is month number what? 10? roast chicken and chocolate, topped off with cheesecake.

edit to add because of stupid computer: ever get tired of cravings? I am ready to start craving something different.  :wacko:

Oh, yeah, I am a serial monogamist when it comes to cravings. Weird things that go on for MONTHS at a time, then I drop it, never to eat it again. Pizza Pringles. I knew how terrible were and I just couldn't care and couldn't stop. Went on for ages before my body finally called it quits. There's a can in the pantry that's probably been there 6 months and is probably scary by now.

...Pizza Pringles. .... There's a can in the pantry that's probably been there 6 months and is probably scary by now.

Nah, there's enough preservatives in there that Pringle's would survive a thermo-nuclear meltdown. Them and cockroaches !!!! :raz:

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 2 months later...

Did y'all get on the health food wagon or what?

I've been craving latkes and I finally made them last night. Ate until I felt sick and then got up this morning and ate the cold ones.

I'm going to make more.

Deep-dish apple pie. But only the crust. The pâte brisée recipe from Simply Recipes is wonderful!

Pizza. But only the crust, especially if a bit of tomato sauce has caramelized on the edges.

"Everything" bagels...but only the part of crust *with* the topping swiped in soft butter.

I'm already a crust-lover but this is getting ridiculous!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Did y'all get on the health food wagon or what?

I've been craving latkes and I finally made them last night. Ate until I felt sick and then got up this morning and ate the cold ones.

I'm going to make more.

nope, just got tired of typing roast chicken....

It's been weird for me, I've been getting intense cravings in two week blocks, but it's tough to say if they're PMS oriented.

The candy apple obsession was probably PMS, because I was downright irrational about them, afterwhile. To the point where the mister was innocently holding a clamshell pack of "jelly" apples with coconut, in the grocery store, and I growled"those are not the right fucking ones". He placed them back on the shelf, and said nothing more. The next day, he came home from work with two fresh dipped, parchment wrapped, honest-to-God hard crunchy red candy apples from an old fashioned candy shop near his workplace. I wept one or two tears of joy. Reminded me all over again why I married him :wub: