• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

We went to Harold's, yesterday...we split a 26 oz pastrami sandwich, a potato pancake literally the size of my kitchen table (we have a pub table, I am only barely exaggerating) and a giant egg cream.  I WANTED a slab of the Napoleon, but we forgot to bring the ropes to tie it to the roof of the Jeep.  I still have enough pastrami for 3 more normal sized sandwiches.

For real, check out the menu http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/

So, those cravings are covered... except for the napoleon...  Now on to our regularly scheduled chocolate and bourbon.

My ovaries are perking up after a long rest. That is just awesome.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh man. I just made the best bacon cheeseburger of my life. I'll give you one secret. I made the panade  with White Cheddar Cheez Itz. Just shoot me now. :laugh:

And deep, quick fried waffle fries.

You know how for when you're  ~so~  hungry for something you're drooling when you're cooking it? I was that.

And now for the vat of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer...

White Cheddar Cheese-Itz: freaking brilliant! Too bad the guyz will never get those estrogen-fueled flashes of inspiration.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

A generous scoop each of the egg salad, cranberry chicken salad, and tuna pasta salad from the Whole Foods salad bar...yep, $9.50 worth of mayonnaise. This month is going to be a doozy.

Well, I have to say the CheetItz panade really did it for me, I don't usually mess too much with a good hamburger but since it was total pms-ville I was including minced caramelized onions and chopped cooked bacon. And since I was going to Juicy Lucy kind of thing, I felt like I need help keeping it all together.

Why is it the PMS makes me throw all my food ethos right out the door? I was craving ridged potato chips, and onion soup sour cream dip. I finally bowed to pressure, and thought I could make up for it by making something really good. So I made a really yummy caramelized onion cream cheese dip I found on the Web, and bought the Organic Sea Salt and Pepper Waffle Kettle Chips. They were ok. My family liked them. I was just kind of "meh".

I got in the car, drove the mile, and bought cheap ass Ruffles (with rrrridges!) and onion soup mix. And sour cream. And ate and ate and ate.

And in the absence of my fav cheap Trader Joe's Sea Salt Caramels but seem only to be found here in the the flash stores, I actually dipped a Reisen in the salt cellar. Unrepentantly.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

• 2 weeks later...

I got in the car, drove the mile, and bought cheap ass Ruffles (with rrrridges!) and onion soup mix. And sour cream. And ate and ate and ate.

A

You have described the Dish from the Devil for me. Ruffles with Ridges and homemade w/onion soup and sour cream "California Dip." I could eat it three meals a day, and snax, whatever the lunar cycle is. Genius.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I just finished a course of blood transfusions over the eight weeks and my hormones and blood levels and chemicals are going wild. I have gained ten pounds. I'd like to say I could blame it on blood volume but I'm thinking probably not, I think it's got to be the medicine they put me on, I can't stop craving stuff. :rolleyes:

For breakfast I had Kenya AA fresh ground beans in my Bialetti, with hot cream and vanilla sugar which I stirred with a cinnamon stick, and a piece of a Vosges' Fire Bar.

Then I had thick, greasy, garlicy, greasy cheese toast, on big fat soft but perfectly toasted Italian bread.

Now I'm contemplating some latkes.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Don't judge me until you have tried it: Nilla wafers with squirt can cheese sprayed on top.....

Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew. ~Guillaume Apollinaire

Don't judge me until you have tried it:  Nilla wafers with squirt can cheese sprayed on top.....

I would never judge you, chere, but that is outrageous! And just possibly brilliant.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

"That Day" came on Easter! The ham, roast pork, cheesy potatoes, gravy and chocolate almost made the cramps worth it. Now I'm munching on THESE alternated with Hershey's chocolate eggs.

Edited by emilyr (log)

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Don't judge me until you have tried it:  Nilla wafers with squirt can cheese sprayed on top.....

I would never judge you, chere, but that is outrageous! And just possibly brilliant.

Also, it sounds like something my husband would come up with. He's famous for his cheddar cheese on a pretzel chip, graced with a gob of chooclate ganache. You would think HE gets PMS. Shoot, I'm not entirely convinced that he doesn't.

What a delightful first post! Welcome :smile: .

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The entire pint of 'california' dip, with kettle chips. "lightly salted' - feh.

They might come that way, but decanted into a bowl, and resalted before consumption, they work fine. Not as well as ruffles, but fine.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thank you Kouign, I have been lurking for awhile, but this thread is brilliant. I couldn't resist tipping you all off on my favorite pms treat! :wink:

Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew. ~Guillaume Apollinaire

I love this thread!

When I was running the bar at my old job in a hotel I could always tell when that time was upon me because I would lust at the bread baskets something awful. I don't really care for bread normally but I've been known to take an entire bread basket into the dessert prep room to wolf down with butter and once....*hangs head in shame* shoved an entire roll in my mouth whilst crouching down behind the bar (out of the view of customers obv.) - it was the smell I tell you I couldn't help it!

Julianne

• 2 weeks later...

:biggrin:

Twice welcome! Had you, by the way, thought of taking *two* Nilla wafers and squirting the canned cheese between, to make a sandwich?

All sorts of things you could use to season the cheese before the second wafer comes down to hold it in place, too...

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Twice welcome!  Had you, by the way, thought of taking *two* Nilla wafers and squirting the canned cheese between, to make a sandwich?

All sorts of things you could use to season the cheese before the second wafer comes down to hold it in place, too...

I HAVE tried the Nilla/cheese sandwich and it throws the ratios off. I have figured out the exact correct balance between the salty/savory cheese and the sweetness of the nilla wafer and throwing that extra wafer on top ruins that balance. It does however provide a wonderful sensory experience when you pop it in your mouth and feel that goopy cheese squeezing through the two wafers!

And I love your idea about seasoning or accessorizing! I can't wait to experiement with flavors and textures..... Great idea Lady T!

I will let you know how that turns out. :wink:

Edited by heidih (log)

for the past couple months it was not anything in particular, this month?? red meat. I went to the local steakhouse and had an 8 oz sirloin with blue cheese crumbles and went home and had Pillsbury Grands Biscuits that come in the can. I don't know where that came from..

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Oh, man. Coronas, out on the patio, with hot pork rinds. That would be good enough, right? I also had a bowl of my refrigerator pickles out there, and I was dunking hot pork rinds entirely, from stem to stern, in the garlicky, spicy pickle juice, and eating them. I think I saw God.

• 3 weeks later...

They totally have the right idea.

This month it is (unfortunately) chicken McNuggets, and that sugar syrup they pass off as sweet and sour sauce. The sauce is the key, I think. Lots of nuggets. Lots of sauce. Iced tea with lots of sugar (well, ok, Sweet n Low, because I'm not completely self destructive). I wonder if they could deep fry the sauce...that would certainly make things more efficient.

I wonder if they could deep fry the sauce...that would certainly make things more efficient.

:laugh::laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you just pegged the reason I love tangerine and or crispy beef.

What's not to love about deep-fat-fried red meat in sugar sauce ?

so far it's been the classic pms craving food ... chocolate. I have resisted so far, but I know tomorrow is my 'bake day' and I will cave in. That and scones. Now the strange thing was I was really jonesing for a real, not diet, coke. I had one...something I never do, normally.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

so far it's been the classic pms craving food ... chocolate. I have resisted so far, but I know tomorrow is my 'bake day' and I will cave in. That and scones. Now the strange thing was I was really jonesing for a real, not diet, coke. I had one...something I never do, normally.

Real Coke is the only thing I can drink at this time. No coffee, no milk, no diet nothing, has to be real Coke, on a ton of ice, and it doesn't matter if it's below zero outside, has to be iced.

Not sure what's going on this month, I'm kinda on the memopause ride, but I am bloat-tated to the max and the boobs are sore..

food wise, it's been bacon. on white bread with mayo. and olives.

---------------------------------------

Bloat-tated. :laugh: That word is joining the lexicon for sure...

food wise, it's been bacon. on white bread with mayo. and olives.

Sounds like you oughta just install a salt lick in the house. Although it's murder on the bloatated-ness, I can totally relate to the cravings for salty food, chocolate and (for me at least) red meat!

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol