• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

although I'm usually into the sushi thing - as of late (of course with my impending Aunt Flo's visit) sushi is off the list - and frankly I'm tired of hubby bitching about it - :angry: and for some reason my craving for rich, caloric-feastful dishes, with lots of red of wine - but then if hubby's out of town - me a chunk of rich blue cheese and just the wine - oh, and a thick slice of pate, :rolleyes:

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

• 2 weeks later...

Y'know, sometimes I'm just flat out stoopid. Sometimes I forget I'm a girl and such things are entirely predictable if I bother to do the math. Yesterday morning I was certain I'd merely eaten too much at the Xmas party I'd attended the day before, and that explained the 4 POUND weight gain I'd experienced overnight. Sure, I'd had a bit too many sweets, something I rarely bother with under normal circumstances, but really, FOUR POUNDS OVERNIGHT???!!!??? I should have realized it was the lunar cycle kicking in...

Forgive me, my sisters, for I have sinned. Again...

So this morning, after a miserable night's attempted sleep with cramps and fitfulness, I was a ravenous beast barely contained. I ordered some salty Chinese food to slake the beast before my shift at work started. Nothing better than Chicken with Eggplant in Garlic Sauce to shut me up for at least a little while. It being the holiday weekend, we were less than busy as usual for a Saturday night so I willingly volunteered to go home early when it looked as if we didn't need all three of us on staff. I headed for the pharmacy, and picked up the prescription I'd called in earlier, and refilled my medicine cabinet with Menstrual Relief pain killers and the appropriate feminine hygiene products. When I got home is when it started to go downhill...

I've recently become a big fan of Pillsbury Savorings, ready-to-heat-and-eat puff pastry filled hors d'oeurves that are available in several different flavors. Having just gone grocery shopping a couple of days ago, there were a few boxes in the freezer. I woofed through half a box (six) of the Pepperoni and Mozzarella flavored ones before I heated up two more and added a couple of the Buffalo Chicken flavored ones I'd opened before. God help me. They were awesome. Especially washed down with most of a bottle of Innocento Sangiovese Toscano 2004. :shrug: At least I didn't hurt anyone but myself... :rolleyes:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This month is was anything spicy...siracha (sp?) on anything. Jalapeno stuffed olives. Taco bell's mexican pizza with siracha on it. YUM!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I woke up at 5 am and decided potato pancakes and applesauce sounded like just the thing. With Saranac Root Beer, which is the BEST. ROOT. BEER. EVER.

At 8 am, coffee and a few (uh, less than a dozen) palmiers.

There is now a pound of freshly ground chuck in the fry pan right now because I accidentally caught sight of a box of Annie's Cheesy Lasagne in my emergency stash of "Dinners Dad Can Make".

I think there is some extra zingy lemon sorbet in the fridge that'll make a nice palate cleanser after that.

Ohmigod. It's not even noon. Stop me before I eat again. :shock:

ETA a "W" in now.....my machine has a "W" issue, can't imagine why.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I'm coasting along in that lovely pre-PMS phase (batten down the hatches, folks, a storm's a brewin) and Pax, I think you just GAVE me a few cravings. I just broke out into a cold sweat, thinking about potato pancakes, and palmiers.

I woke up at 5 am and decided potato pancakes and applesauce sounded like just the thing. With Saranac Root Beer, which is the BEST. ROOT. BEER. EVER.

glad you found the saranac... try their sasparilla if you can find it.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

glad you found the saranac... try their sasparilla if you can find it.

Potato pancakes and applesauce are always just the thing. I salute your 5:00 am vision and action.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Sadly, it got worse. Nature's Path Chocolate Frosted Pop Tarts are the bomb with espresso around two, which led to a craving for strawberries, so I pulled a jar of homemade preserves out and ate them by the spoonful, but only after dropping shatters of Fire Bars into them.

Yesterday I made the base for caramelized onion dip, and today instead of making it into dip, I slathered it all over a salt fried rib eye. And I made steak fries. And I stabbed them all through the middle a few times to get 'em crunchy.

It's midnight and I'm thinking about some more of that lemon sorbet.

I'm also thinking about ancient Hawaiian royalty and how their people thought bigger was better, so they had special techniques for rubbing their Queen's bellies to help them digest their food more easily. I need a Royal Tummy Rubber. Right now.

:wacko:

I've eaten more in one day than I have in months, I think. It's got to be the weather in addition to PMS, it's been horribly grey and windy and cloudy for days and days.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I've gone through 3 large bags of Japanese rice crackers this week. Today I have eaten a sunflower seed butter and strawberry jam bagel, a banana, a mug of jasmine tea, a bowl of "instant" udon, a pepsi, a handful of Sees Little Pops, a breakfast sausage patty sandwich and a Sourdough Jack burger and curly fries from Jack in the Box.

Not gourmet, but pretty satisfying.

Cheryl

My first post in THIS particular forum. After a five year unexplained hiatus, the "beast" is back, with newly developed pms-ing. I've been teetering all over needing chocolate or salty, and salty has won..for now. Hello olives out of the jar and a caesar!

But there ARE two chocolate tarts left over from Christmas in the freezer...

**Melanie**

I did Peruvian chicken twice during my last period (a week or 2 ago). AMAZING, hot crispy chicken skin with moist meat, creamy coleslaw, crispy french fries, and those tasty dips - green peppers, and that yellowy mayo.

HOORAY for crispy chicken skin!

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

So, here we go. Normally, I zero in on one or two intense cravings, and obsess over them. Today, I crave food, and copious amounts of it.

For breakfast before work, I had a bowl of Wheat Chex and milk (good start, right?) Then a slab of "spideweb" cake, which looks like a mound of whipped cream. Concealed in this mound is 2 layers of yellow cake, banana custard, and strawberry jam. I thought it was kind of breakfasty...and why don't we have desserts with breakfast anyway? We should. I certainly did.

Then, in the car on the way to work, I ate a huge handful of Sweet Tarts.

Now, I'm eating a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli. It tastes like hot garbage, I don't know why I'm eating it. We keep it around because my son loves it. I just ate another bite, and it still tastes like garbage. I have to stop, but it's so warm and filling.

For dinner, I was eyeballing a can of Tobasco Spam that my dad sent me. Musubi? Fried rice? Hell, why wait for dinner? Maybe it'll be high tea, later...

Edited by Lilija (log)

For breakfast before work, I had a bowl of Wheat Chex and milk (good start, right?)  Then a slab of ..and why don't we have desserts with breakfast anyway?  We should.  I certainly did.

I am right there with you. Number one example? Chocolate croissants. With fruit and cream to follow.

Now, I'm eating a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli.  It tastes like hot garbage, I don't know why I'm eating it. We keep it around because my son loves it.  I just ate another bite, and it still tastes like

FYI, Annie's Organics does an ok version of Spaghettios and I think there's a ravioli version too. I laid in a few of them for power outages for my daughter, and she likes them very much. They aren't bad.

Ooh, I love their macaroni and cheese, I'll have to look for Annie's ravioli, too. For the kid, of course... Chocolate croissants...wow. Why didn't I think of that? Back to the bakery!

Further along this epic day, I nixed the Spam idea, and had a peanut butter sandwich on this really great coarse multigrain from the same damn bakery as that cake (and my future chocolate croissants).

Dinner was leftovers from an awesome Sunday night out, filet mignon, eaten cold from the fridge with Sriracha, three bites of chicken and dumplings from last night, and half of another peanut butter sandwich. I applauded myself for moderation.

It's only 10:45 though.

y!

Further along this epic day, I nixed the Spam idea, and had a peanut butter sandwich on this really great coarse multigrain from the same damn bakery as that cake (and my future chocolate croissants). 

Dinner was leftovers from an awesome Sunday night out, filet mignon, eaten cold from the fridge with Sriracha, three bites of chicken and dumplings from last night, and half of another peanut butter sandwich.  I applauded myself for moderation.

It's only 10:45 though.

Filet straight from the fridge. Chicken and dumplings -- who hoo! That's classic.

Alhto I've passed over the ovulum divide since I started this topic, your choices make my loins ache. (Except for peanut butter -- to me disgusting . Yeah, I was a PIA as a kid but I get salt nuts and sugar.)

You were moderate.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Very odd cravings this time around. Red wine, red wine vinegar, seasoned (sshh) rice vinegar, soft carrots, fresh rosemary and iceberg lettuce. Gads.

Needless to say, I'm going to serve beef stew with rosemary and tons of carrots for supper tonight. I'll also toss together an iceberg lettuce salad with green onions, sunflower seeds and blue cheese dressing. Hmm, not sure how many glasses of wine I'll need to wash this all down but I hope it's a lot. :wink:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Sure, I'll help you downward...how about some caramel to go with all that? Maybe with a handful of pretzels on the side? :cool:

Also, Manhattans aren't a craving for me, anymore, I used to list them...at this point, they're MEDICINE. Keep the Midol, hand me the bottle of Knob Creek, and the Advil.

Also, Manhattans aren't a craving for me, anymore, I used to list them...at this point, they're MEDICINE.  Keep the Midol, hand me the bottle of Knob Creek, and the Advil.

Fress in a Dress checking in...

Beware mixing pain meds and alcohol--that could be a recipe for an ambulance ride.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

[

Fress in a Dress checking in...

Beware mixing pain meds and alcohol--that could be a recipe for an ambulance ride.

You're a good man, Fress. But those shoes, they don't go.