• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

We have a local company that sets up a roadside kettle corn tent down by the river. I stopped on my way home and bought a bag of the stuff so hot the plastic bag puckered and I am working my way through that, with a vanilla shake.

The bag is about 3 foot long and about 1 foot around. I am getting my fiber, for sure. :rolleyes:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

This month I was blessed with chocolate bacon bars! PMS will never be the same.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

This month I was blessed with chocolate bacon bars!  PMS will never be the same.

tell us of this wonderful thing, ckat.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...

Oh for god's sake. This is ridiculous. And...gross.

Nasty off-brand supermarket frozen pizza. Baked until almost burnt.

B & J's New York Super Fudge Chunk flavor.

Pepperidge Farm dark chocolate brownie soft-bake cookies.

Several bottles of St. Pauli Girl.

And earlier today: chunks of unsalted cultured butter. Shave bits off with knife, dip in sea salt. Eat straight, sort of like a quintuple-creme cheese.

Eek.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

No eek...sounds like good PMS fixin's to me!

This month it was roast chicken again.

And pasta, in any form with apple fritters.

Wierd...

The funny thing is my husband has now started watching the calendar and when he sees its about that time he asked to buy the chicken. Did I mention I how much I love my husband??

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

• 2 weeks later...

My dad sent my some great rib eyes. My family shared one rib eye sliced over asst wilted greens with red steamed potatoes. I then sent them on their merry ways. Then I pan seared another one I had marinated in a little balsamic, salt, pepper, and basted it in browning butter in a big ole cast iron fry pan. I let the steak sit on a warmed plate, added another knob of butter, and sauteed some roughly minced onions and garlic until adding the potatoes in time to let them get a little crusted up but not burning the garlic.

Threw a mess o' potatoes on to the pan juices, topped with steak, onions, and garlic and just died and went to heaven in a melty fat/onion/garlic/salty/buttery wallow. And I ate it with a batch of sangria I made last night which I have to say is the best I ever made. I ate the wholething.

I am so fat I just crawled into bed and my husband tucked me in.

But there's a bunch of little tartlets I made down there, a honey roasted cashew crust with some spicy chocolate creme anglais...

Maybe I'll just nap off the steak and plan on the tarts around midnight?

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

chocolate cake. no frosting.

When my craving for this kicks in, will-power is no longer in play. It is like there is a powerful, unseen force that compels me to eat it.

Gravity :: Earth as chocolate cake :: Me.

openfaced tomato and bacon sandwich on toasted white bread with miracle whip AND an angus beef hotdog on a toasted new england bun stuffed with blue cheese and covered with carmelized onions....

yup, that time again

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I've got a premonition.

I walked into work at 8 am and straight to the vending machine, where the only potato chips were "Earthquake" flavor.

(all the tag lots of seasonings, mixed together).

They werent that good. I want another bag. Or 6.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

This month I was blessed with chocolate bacon bars!  PMS will never be the same.

tell us of this wonderful thing, ckat.....

I apologize for not seeing this...I really sometimes just come in here hit the reply...

my bad...I am sorry...

I got them while at the central market in Austin, TX. They are made by Vosage and amazing! creamy, a little salty, chocolately with an undertone of bacon. There is even chunks of bacon. I believe you can order them online if you are not in the New York area which is where there main store is located. I wish I had some more..

Fear not, I come bearing links for chocolate bacon bars....

Vosges

Anyone clicking on this link must order an extra one for me. I like the ones shaped like a flying pig. :raz:

Edited by pax (log)

and on good morning america yesterday they were shown as something you can get at the Minnesota State Fair.... oh, snowangel.........

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Fear not, I come bearing links for chocolate bacon bars....

Vosges

Anyone clicking on this link must order an extra one for me. I like the ones shaped like a flying pig.  :raz:

I saw these chocolate, salty, bacony candy bars at the World Market Plus.....here in Chicago (Lincoln Park, on Sheffield and North Ave). I am sure other World Market Plus outlet's must have them also. I did not purchase any because I had not read these positive reviews of them yet....but I will have to stop back to pick one up :)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I have major cravings right now. Today at a grocery store I picked up THREE pre-made Chicken Cordon Blues (not the frozen ones - rather the ones made at the deli counter with the other prepared foods)...I am obviously too lazy to make my own. I love Chicken Cordon Blue, love love love it. I also picked up two LARGE dark chocolate bars, one 72% coco, one 85%...

And I am not contemplating ordering a pizza from Pizza Hut (don't laugh....I am very moody right now and don't need it....wink-wink). I get weird cravings once in a blue moon for Pizza Hut - ONLY because they have this stuffed crust pizza, OMG, YUM. I love cheese, so if you've going to stuff the crust of my already EXTRA cheesy pizza with MORE cheese, well, I love you......Add on black olives to the pie.....YUM. Greasy, salty, fast food....MMM

Speaking of Chicken Cordon Blue - does anyone have a good recipe for Chicken Cordon Blue? I have tried a few recipes, and while all were good, they tended to leak out (cheese oozing out) or turned out not as crispy (the breadcrumbs) as I prefer on the crust...I have tried stuffing the cheese and ham in a little pocket....rolling the cheese and ham inside of a pounded out breast, etc.... I suck at making these....compared to deli counters (which is kinda embarrassing!).

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

i have lots of cravings.

milk chocolate, meat, salty bacony things, salty spicy crisps, oglio aglio e peperoncino pasta (spicy), and anything creamy - ice cream, whipped cream, creamy pasta, etc

also i always crave blue cheese especially gorgonzola. However, I've since found out that blue cheese is very high in b vitamins and so i tried an experiment and took b vitamins when i had this craving instead of the cheese - and my craving was gone. interesting!

also i always crave blue cheese especially gorgonzola.  However, I've since found out that blue cheese is very high in b vitamins and so i tried an experiment and took b vitamins when i had this craving instead of the cheese - and my craving was gone.  interesting!

ok. now WHY would you take b vitamins instead of blue cheese? granted the results make for interesting science but..... remember you can also od on b vitamins and get horrible tingling in your hands. something i doubt you would get from bleu d'avergne or maytag blue or cowgirl creamery.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

ok. now WHY would you take b vitamins instead of blue cheese?  granted the results make for interesting science but..... remember you can also od on b vitamins and get horrible tingling in your hands.  something i doubt you would get from bleu d'avergne or maytag blue or cowgirl creamery.

No seriously? My hands get tingly when I'm low on Bs and my understanding was you can't od on Bs, they are water soluble so they flush through. I'm right with you on one thing, though, I'd rather do cheese than vitamins. :biggrin:

French fries. Piles and piles of hot, greasy french fries. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to Sub Tender, where you can get a lunch bag sized bag of Garlic and Butter fries. By the time you get back to work/home with them, the bag is transparent.

• 2 weeks later...
And earlier today: chunks of unsalted cultured butter. Shave bits off with knife, dip in sea salt. Eat straight, sort of like a quintuple-creme cheese.

:blink:

Now that is hard-core. Wow.

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Yeah, in retrospect, it is pretty disgusting. But it's what I wanted, dammit!

In my defense, it was really high-quality butter.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Ok, this one hit me like a tsunami... we were walking through Costco, and some diabolical little old lady thrust a sample of their awesome apple pie in my hand. It's been all I can think about for the past three days. Not apple pie, but THAT apple pie.

"Sweetie, what do you want for dinner?"

"That apple pie from earlier."

"What should we take to Bryant's house"

"That apple pie, from yesterday"

"Want me to go get bagels, for breakfast?"

"While you're out, stop and grab me one of those apple pies"

So far no good. This craving has yet to be satisfied. I don't want a polite slice of this pie, if and when I do get it. I want a warm slab of it, in a bowl, with a splash of cream.

No seriously? My hands get tingly  when I'm low on Bs and my understanding was you can't od on Bs, they are water soluble so they flush through. I'm right with you on one thing, though, I'd rather do cheese than vitamins.  :biggrin:

they are water soluble but especially B6 can concentrate and cause neuropathy. happened to me. course i can't take calcium since it concentrates in my kidneys.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ok, this one hit me like a tsunami... we were walking through Costco, and some diabolical little old lady thrust a sample of their awesome apple pie in my hand.  It's been all I can think about for the past three days.  Not apple pie, but THAT apple pie. 

"Sweetie, what do you want for dinner?"

"That apple pie from earlier."

"What should we take to Bryant's house"

"That apple pie, from yesterday"

"Want me to go get bagels, for breakfast?"

"While you're out, stop and grab me one of those apple pies"

So far no good.  This craving has yet to be satisfied.  I don't want a polite slice of this pie, if and when I do get it.  I want a warm slab of it, in a bowl, with a splash of cream.

apple pie without the cheese is like the kiss without the squeeze. and make that a sharp cheddar, not blue...

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites