• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

Last night I ate fried chicken with a corn muffin, followed by half a bag of sour patch kids. And today I'm devising a plan to continue the salt/sugar combination starting with goat cheese and fig preserves on crackers.

This is just between us ladies, right?

And you won't judge culinary skills or tastes by anything we post in this one particular thread, in the understanding that our hormones sometimes make us do unspeakable things?

Okay, confession time. What I really, really crave - and eat - is something that combines saltiness and starchiness in a dish that I'd never let others see me eat, let alone taste for themselves.

Saute cooked macaroni (plus one sliced-up hot dog - this is optional) in a ridiculous amount of butter (three or four tablespoons) until the macaroni is a tiny bit crispy. Squirt in enough ketchup to give the macaroni a soft orangey-red glow.  Add a generous amount of black pepper and way, way more salt than my doctor would want me to consume in a week. Turn off the heat, put macaroni into bowl, and swirl in a final squirt of ketchup (for a little temperature contrast). Yum...

Oh, Dear God in Heaven. I'll light a candle for you. Make that a bonfire.

:blink:

If you would, please, move over, Bubbles. I brought a couple of bags of marshmallows to roast over that bonfire. And the long forks on which to roast 'em.

Somebody else figure out how to set up a fondue pot with serious chocolate melting in it, so that we can swirl the hot marshmallows therein.

Serious medicine called for here, I think...

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

OK -- normally I am a moderately healthy eater, but -- when PMS kicks in, its one of two food groups:

the Gooey or the Salty

grilled cheese sandwiches with double cheese, pizza with double cheese, mac and cheese

or popcorn, just salt, or baked chips

Raine

Craving serious carbs & salt. Last night I had a huuuge bowl of spaghetti carbonara, with loads of bacon. Also slices of baguette smeared with gorgonzola cheese. Chased it all down with a sidecar cocktail.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its that time again and this month it is anything cinnamon. Cinnamelts from Mickey D's, cinnamon (Lots) in oatmeal, panera cinnamon chips scones chased down with a cinnamon dolce latte from starbucks

and fried chicken. Go figure..... but if I don't get some fried chicken soon you will see me on the evening news. A story about women who held up a KFC, all she wanted was the chicken.

(I am trying to diet because summer draws near, I am not holding out hope for the next few days)

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Today was the start. I grilled a whole platter of pork slices with fat and skin on over hot coconut coals. When everything was nicely brown and cooked, I made garlic fried rice and oyster cerviche. I was in hog heaven (there's half a platter of grilled pork left.)

Let the eating begin....

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Gave up and went to KFC last night and I am still on the fried chicken today. And biscuits.

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Well, its that time again and this month it is anything cinnamon. Cinnamelts from Mickey D's, cinnamon (Lots) in oatmeal, panera cinnamon chips scones chased down with a cinnamon dolce latte from starbucks

CKat - here kick it up a notch with toast dope.

for me today it was all about fries and a medium burger with bacon and cheddar.

WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE CHEDDAR?!!! they had american, blue, jack, swiss, provolone but NO FREAKIN' CHEDDAR.

and the fries were incredible - soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

have a tub in of that in my fridge! Wonderful stuff!

Bacon. I saw a website yesterday that showed how to make cups out of bacon. I am so there next month. Chocolate. I really am not a chocolate person, until THAT TIME. Then it has to be good milk chocolate and caramel. No chocolate and fruit.

Blog.liedel.org

The eating continues...

The craving started with garlicky Filipino Longganisa (sausages) with cherry tomatoes soaked in fish sauce.

Then followed by a palate cleanser - strawberries eaten with one's fingers (no fancy fruit forks please).

Then followed by another palate cleanser - Kitkat Dark Noir (ooooh... ahhhhh... dark chocolate).

It was so chocolatey so I thought I needed another cleanser... Nacho Chips in Jalapeno flavor.

Now, I need to get that jalapeno flavor off my tongue....

When will the madness end? (rummaging through the freezer and fridge to find the next thing to demolish).

Edited by Domestic Goddess (log)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

A whole bar of Cadbury's Caramello chocolate. (seven ounces? I don't remember...)

Approximately six cups of milky tea with three sugars each.

French fries, which were retrieved by the fantastic boyfriend who went out specifically for my french fry craving.

Two big, fat slices of grocery store french baguette (the totally unauthentic kind that's velvety and soft all the way through) with a thick layer of butter and another of apricot jam.

Banana slices with brown sugar, dipped in creme fraiche.

Sliced black plums with gouda on the side.

Yeah, I'm full. And I have two Easter meals to attend tomorrow. hah.

Thank goodness for GIANT artichokes and home made very garlicy mayo

potato salad

rare sirloin burgers

I am trying to pace myself ..but ....the moon is pulling me..so is this holiday! pancakes from Lindacakes blog are calling me so hard that at this time of morning I am thinking of running to the store for some grade b maple syrup to have them swimming the back stroke in

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

last night I opened a box of really dark, fresh, sticky dates from Iran ...I found them in Canada a few weeks ago and have been hoarding for the right moment...the moment was right I guess because I sat down and dug in...each one I put into my mouth was topped with a generous spoon of cream cheese ..popped into my mouth..moaned at how wonderful it was ..suddenly I looked down and realized I had eaten half the box along with half the cream cheese!

first thing this morning I wanted to continue this behavior but will save them for tonight (my Friday) when I can fully enjoy the moment again!

I am trying really hard not to succomb to an eating frenzy... but it seems futile especially with these dates in the house ..they are fantastic..sweet ...sticky this is going to be a long day!

Piglet 

Jerky and fruit. They sort of balance out each others extreme qualities...at least that's what I'm going with.

I'll have a plate of watermelon and mango chunks with a half dozen strawberries and a slab of peppered or teriyaki beef jerky on the side. I'll do this a couple times during the day, changing the variety of sweet, juicy fruit. Thank heavens for frozen peaches and blueberries! Then, right before bed a few squares of Black and Green's 85% dark chocolate. Mighty interesting dreams.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Microwave popcorn. Extra salt.

Miso soup.

Chicken Nuggets.

Weirdly enough, no booze, this month, or chocolate.

Could be because I'm suffering from a nice URI, and salty light crunchy things, and hot brothy things go well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just sat here and ate half a box of Fourth of July's Mini PB crackers with a glass of milk.

*burp*

I think some of that Vosge's Fire Bar is next. :laugh: Who am I kidding, some... :biggrin:

ETA: I have just realized that my PMS posts are all about convenience foods. I guess the treat is the time I spend being selfish sitting here reading this thread and gorging my eyes and tummy.

Also adding, as an aside, I find it a funny little joke that to find this thread every month, I search the site for "boyz". Not "pms" because I get all kinds of stuff about private messages.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

ETA: I have just realized that my PMS posts are all about convenience foods. I guess the treat is the time I spend being selfish sitting here reading this thread and gorging my eyes and tummy.

Also adding, as an aside, I find it a funny little joke that to find this thread every month, I search the site for "boyz". Not "pms" because I get all kinds of stuff about private messages.

Yup. I'm the same. I crave instant noodles.

And too funny!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

:cool:

Loving me some baby back ribs.

An entire slab. With cole slaw, and potatoes roasted in wedges with olive oil/herbs.

All for me. Not sharing, not this time.

Yum.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I am having a very bad moon

I feel like a cat pulled through a key hole the wrong way and just want to scream at the top of my lungs at everyone who is looking at me!!! for no reason at all ....except the world is very very annoying..... the noise my husband's hair makes just growing is even on my nerves!!!!

I am finding solace in corn tortillas... my friend brought me some fantastic ones from San Diego and I am eating one right after another... fried in grease salted well ..filled with cheese ..home made guac and really hot wonderful green salsa ...

I appear nice on the outside ..(or so I have been told) but trust me ..I am not nice at all right now :sad:

I almost got out of bed last night and made some coconut cream frosting ..but took a chill instead

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

Ate a half bag of Heath mini-bars yesterday.

Pork Larb with lettuce for breakfast.

Planning to cook lentil & bacon soup for dinner.

For some strange reason, the giant hotdogs in the fridge don't look slightly appealing.

I'm off to grocery shopping in my pj's, need to restock chocolate, salt, carbs, & fatty.

:raz:

Suzanne