• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

I usually crave tomatoes! Pasta with a big helping of tomato sauce or pizza hit the spot.

Buffalo wings and beer! I have a male friend that actually calls me every month to ask if it is "that" time of the month already so we can go to Hooters (he won't go by himself!!!)

I hear all of you about the wings. Hubby ordered garlic chicken wings for us (well really for me) last Saturday and it was soo good. Been noshing also on oyster cerviche, binagoongan baboy (crispy pork in suateed shrimp paste) and breaded pork chops.

*Burp*

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I hear all of you about the wings. Hubby ordered garlic chicken wings for us (well really for me) last Saturday and it was soo good. Been noshing also on oyster cerviche, binagoongan baboy (crispy pork in suateed shrimp paste) and breaded pork chops.

*Burp*

Oh man, I definitely do NOT want to be near you when you burp that stuff up! :laugh:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I ate a Costco-sized bag of Ruffles potato chips in three days...

And I don't even have PMS, but am I ever craving salt!

One inch thick top sirloin steak. Very very rare. Shallots and mushrooms sauteed in the juices and butter. One "tomato" sprinkled with salt. :hmmm: Potato gratin. Handful of M&Ms from big-ass holiday cooking size zip-top bag. Must rest... almost lunchtime..... :wacko:

Almost an entire box of Oreo Cakesters. This is a tiny little whoopie pie version of an Oreo cookie. If you scrape off one of the layers, it doubles the cream ratio. You can eat the layer.

They taste like ass, absolutely pumped full of chemicals.

I feel terrible today, too.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

kinda late on this one as it was a few weeks ago, but I ate a whole bag of salt and vinegar pork rinds from the filipino grocery store <----10 million times better than american pork rinds....oh and way more skin and crunchier

also ate half a bag of molasses chews from trader joes

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

yesterday at The Thirsty Moose. the ONLY thing i go there for:

gallery_403_5610_223654.jpg

i freaked the kid waiter out because he went to hand me a menu but i said "i know what i want. wings, medium, no celery and a salad with blue cheese dressing". something to drink? "no, but get me those wings".

hot and spicy and plenty of sauce. i even have three left for today.

sorry about the fuzzy picture. i had already eaten one before i remembered to snap a shot.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So far today:

FOUR supermarket doughnuts (one plain sour cream, 3 bavarian filled)

half a batch of extra-fatty homemade char siu - could easily have eaten the whole thing but reluctantly stopped so that I have something to use in my homemade bao experiment tomorrow

leftover Thai red chicken and tofu curry with jasmine rice

Due to a lack of foresight there is no chocolate to speak of in the house, so I'll probably whipping up a pan of brownies later....and eating half of THAT...

*burp* is right...

Edited by Knicke (log)

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

half a batch of extra-fatty homemade char siu - could easily have eaten the whole thing but reluctantly stopped so that I have something to use in my homemade bao experiment tomorrow

That's what I'm making today! (The bao--I made the char siu a couple of days ago.) I'm making chocolate caramels, too.

I swear I shouldn't have PMS right now, but my eating habits and cravings certainly are making me feel like I do!

Yesterday

Ate the rest of the Boca Negra Cake plus I dogged a bag of semi-sweet morsels in the fridge.

Today

Breakfast: Cold Pizza

Lunch: Pizza (this time I heated it up)

Dinner: Tea and the rest of the semi-sweet morsels

a very hungry college kid

Ok, ladies here is the run down for this month....

Why is it I only want processed crap during "that time" I have no idea...

chocolate cupcakes, from a mix. I hate mixes...but for some reason I wanted the from a mix taste...

processed frozen corn dogs and grilled ham, cheese and egg sandwiches

I like everyone else's food better....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Two days of Chinese take-out from the only joint in town that serves it. -deep sigh- And now two tall bottles of Rogues Hazelnut Ale while watching Misery. Indeed.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

In the last few days, I've had a large pizza hut pepperoni pizza (it would have been pepperoni and pineapple, but my pizza hut doesn't do pineapple anymore), super greasy fried rice and chicken karaage from the dive-like Chinese place, and several char siu bao. Oh, and several dozen peppermint chocolate caramels.

What I really really want are Old Dutch BBQ potato chips. Lots of them. But I think I'm going to have to crisp up some stale tortilla chips, and then make some nachos and pico de gallo. That will just have to do.

Heh. One of the weird things about menopause (I mean, besides the occasional need to stick my head in the open door of my fridge's freezer compartment for personal thermostat resetting purposes) is that food cravings once tied to "that time of month" now tend to strike at random. How do I tell them apart from your everyday run-of-the-mill food cravings, you may ask? Well, they tend to be for my traditional PMS-craving foods (meat, grease, salt, and more meat, grease, and salt); and they tend to be fueled by that peculiarly hormonal-feeling urgency ...

... she sez, as she works her way through the entire jar of teriaki nori she bought this afternoon.

(Excuse me, I think I need to go stick my head in the freezer. Again. :wacko: )

(Edited to fix an especially silly typo--"freezer DEpartment"? Wow! :laugh: )

Edited by mizducky (log)

I am recovering from surgery.

Percocet and chicken soup, and peanut butter crackers. Did I mention Percocet?

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Heh. One of the weird things about menopause (I mean, besides the occasional need to stick my head in the open door of my fridge's freezer compartment for personal thermostat resetting purposes) is that food cravings once tied to "that time of month" now tend to strike at random. How do I tell them apart from your everyday run-of-the-mill food cravings, you may ask? Well, they tend to be for my traditional PMS-craving foods (meat, grease, salt, and more meat, grease, and salt); and they tend to be fueled by that peculiarly hormonal-feeling urgency ...

... she sez, as she works her way through the entire jar of teriaki nori she bought this afternoon.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Well, it began about 30 minutes ago. The only saving grace is that it's Superbowl weekend.

Luckily I got a lot done already.

I've made meatballs, Knorr veggie dip and potato salad.

I want Ruffles chips and dip.

NOW.

Oh you can tell. I wet my hair before laying under the ceiling fan this AM. I mean early AM, like 2 I think. Hate the night sweats.

Calzone last night. I split the dough in two and the second half is resting in the fridge. I am going to knead in big, fat dry cured olives and some cheese. Then eat the whole thing with a stick of butter.

Next up in the batter's box are brats, kraut, and soggy over buttered hard rolls. Then maybe some homemade pretzels and mustard. OH, and cheap fried cheese sticks. And then a burger with equally fat slices of sharp cheddar and tomato, with super salty fries. Wow, I bet that burger just needs bacon.

I have been known to eat popcorn for dinner.

Generally though, I favour salt or chocolate or masses of protein.

I am famous at work for my drawer of chocolate. It has to be there, just in case. :hmmm:

Tonight I had two char siu bao and a piece of toast loaded with butter, and eaten with a chunk of aged cheddar. But now I need something sweet, and I'm thinking of making hot cocoa and splashing in a lot of Baileys....or Kahlua....or both....

pms sucks (as does the hormonally-induced dandruff)

5-min a day bread, sliced, laid into melted butter. (That loose structure holds a lotta butter. Almost competes with crumpets).

Topped with smashed softboiled egg, salt, pepper.

Fold, eat, repeat.

Pause, to feed child a nutritious breakfast.

Take child to birthday party. Eat all the gumballs off the child's cupcake, just for the sugar.

Bring child home. Eat snack. Deprive child. Snack = almost healthy (I'm so ashamed of this break in the pattern of the day). Toasted flatbread, hummus, sundried tomato/garlic 'pesto'. Vast glass of kahlua and milk with a heavy cream floater.

Set table with sliced apples on plate, bowl of Trader Joes Black Pepper potato chips*. 1 pt onion dip (made during earlier dietary deviation). Child says 'can we share both these snacks together?' (Yeah, like I'm gonna eat any apple today. :rolleyes:). 'Sure honey, we can share. Just watch your fingers...... '.

Make cocoa for two. Mine has heavy cream in it. And extra chocolate.

At end of day, there was maybe 1 cup of dip left. Chips????? Are you kidding?

*Yes, these are a knock off of the Kettle version. Sturdier chip. Kettle has the edge eaten alone, but TJ's can handle DIP and still bring that pepper taste thru. They must use more of the jalepeno powder than the original.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

One (1) pound of Fudgie Wudgie Amaretto fudge and one nearly empty bottle of Knob Creek sitting on my desk, along with a small glass (one of those cute 4 oz juice glasses, from the 50's) and a knife.

It's bad, girls, and I am being a bad girl.

(the tiny glass makes it medicinal, without actually doing shots...)

Edited by Lilija (log)