• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

too much info, but.....

I'm taking seasonale (4 periods per year) and it isn't working very well. Apparently I am getting my period like every 2-3 weeks now.

So yes it is about that time now and I am really craving roasted cauliflower. I also really want some oven roasted or steamed korean sweet potatos. I just want a ton of really good veggies that aren't aggressively seasoned (just salt & pepper). I think this calls for a trip to my local asian grocer so I can get sweet potatos, cauliflower, water spinach, water cress, pea shoots, baby bok choy, and other goodies.

usually I am craving salty meat + chocolate

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I have been eating salads with tons of fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. I think I am eating too much salt, because I feel really bloated, a few of my taste buds are popping up (they hurt), and my jaw feels really tense. TOO MUCH SALT

fish sauce tastes so damn good though

too much info, but.....

I'm taking seasonale (4 periods per year) and it isn't working very well.  Apparently I am getting my period like every 2-3 weeks now.

Ever try just taking packs of pills back to back?

I have been eating salads with tons of fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar. I think I am eating too much salt, because I feel really bloated, a few of my taste buds are popping up (they hurt), and my jaw feels really tense. TOO MUCH SALT

Ah! so that's why my jaw is so tense and my tastebuds are inflamed! I had Pizza Hut (my pms salt-craving satisfier of choice), and now I'm experiencing all those symptoms, too!

If I had any caramels left, I'd be dipping them in salt and munching away. As it is, I'm about to leave for the grocery store to get some of my favourite black bean salty sembei. Mmmmmmm....

too much info, but.....

I'm taking seasonale (4 periods per year) and it isn't working very well.  Apparently I am getting my period like every 2-3 weeks now.

Ah! so that's why my jaw is so tense and my tastebuds are inflamed! I had Pizza Hut (my pms salt-craving satisfier of choice), and now I'm experiencing all those symptoms, too!

If I had any caramels left, I'd be dipping them in salt and munching away. As it is, I'm about to leave for the grocery store to get some of my favourite black bean salty sembei. Mmmmmmm....

what do you mean take pills back to back? seasonale? or regular bcps? I'm confused.

glad to see I am not the only one in pain here. I had 2 inflamed tastebuds, but one went away and I still have one left. Thank goodness I don't have any fever blisters. I get those all the time and consuming fish sauce, lime juice, and tomatos together while having one is not a good idea.

I almost bought some sembei on saturday. That is the last thing I need :biggrin:

too much info, but.....

what do you mean take pills back to back? seasonale? or regular bcps? I'm confused.

glad to see I am not the only one in pain here. I had 2 inflamed tastebuds, but one went away and I still have one left. Thank goodness I don't have any fever blisters. I get those all the time and consuming fish sauce, lime juice, and tomatos together while having one is not a good idea.

I almost bought some sembei on saturday. That is the last thing I need :biggrin:

My daughter just takes her regular pills back to back, skipping the "spacer" pills. Every three months or so she'll take a break. It works well for her. I was concerned and talked to our family doctor about it, but she said that doctors and nurses have been doing it for years. She was a chief resident in an ER department, and she said she personally went two years without a period.

Just wait until you get to my end of the spectrum. I am of that "certain age" where everything is trying to shut down. Family history of hormone related breast cancer, so replacement therapy is out of the question - I get my period every two or three weeks - and it is BRUTAL - then I go two or three months without one - also BRUTAL because it is pregnancy scare time (even though it is highly unlikely, one ovary and tubes tied) and the last thing I need at my age is a baby. PMS seems to be a constant for the last couple of years. I can't wait until it settles down.

I keep gallon bags of boiled peanuts in the freezer to take care of my salt craving. Then my feet feel like I'm walking on sharp rocks due to the water retention.

Yep, I get a little grumpy sometimes...

My daughter just takes her regular pills back to back, skipping the "spacer" pills. Every three months or so she'll take a break. It works well for her. I was concerned and talked to our family doctor about it, but she said that doctors and nurses have been doing it for years. She was a chief resident in an ER department, and she said she personally went two years without a period.

That's what I do, but usually not for such a long period (ha ha) of time. I'll usually only go 2-3 months, and I only do that once or twice a year.

Just wait until you get to my end of the spectrum. I am of that "certain age" where everything is trying to shut down. Family history of hormone related breast cancer, so replacement therapy is out of the question - I get my period every two or three weeks - and it is BRUTAL - then I go two or three months without one - also BRUTAL because it is pregnancy scare time (even though it is highly unlikely, one ovary and tubes tied) and the last thing I need at my age is a baby. PMS seems to be a constant for the last couple of years. I can't wait until it settles down.

I'm not looking forward to that! I'm nearing that peri-menopausal age, and I'm very afraid!

Back to the topic at hand, I think the jalapeno sauce that comes with pizza hut pizza might have something to do with my inflamed taste buds, too. I slathered my pizza with it to help quench my cravings.

I didn't get the sembei, but boy do I wish I had some potato chips right now. Maybe I'll just eat some croutons...

i'm too scared to try something like that. The last thing I need is a you know what in the you know where. I am going to the doctor's after new year's so I will wait till then.

I am still on a veggie kick. Right now I am roasting a japanese sweet potato and I am making a gratin out of rutabagas. I went to the grocery store the other day and lo and behold I found some HUGE & perfect rutabagas in the reject bin. I got 4 huge ones for only $0.99 total.

For those poor sore tastebuds (oh how I hate that soreness!), drink, drink, drink. Helps flush the salt and rehydrate the tissues deprived by attempting to flush the salt.

For fairly fast relief while waiting for the anti-dehydration measure above to kick in,

try holding a mouthful of water for as long as you can stand it.

Do that a few times. After a few minutes, the tastebud usually settles down.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

For those poor sore tastebuds (oh how I hate that soreness!), drink, drink, drink. Helps flush the salt and rehydrate the tissues deprived by attempting to flush the salt.

For fairly fast relief while waiting for the anti-dehydration measure above to kick in,

try holding a mouthful of  water for as long as you can stand it.

Do that a few times. After a few minutes, the tastebud usually settles down.

awesome! thanks for the suggestion. I am eating more salty/spicy food for dinner - go figure and hopefully your remedy will work

• 3 weeks later...

Mostly POTATO CHIPS and CHOCOLATE. Not together (usually). Love Rolos, Milk Duds, Dove dark chocolate. MMMMMM. Truth be told, I can pretty much open my mouth, tilt my head back, lift the fridge and pour its' contents directly into me gullet!!!!

Cheese Cheese and more Cheese

Brie, soft buttery oozy creamy

Sharp Sharp cheddar

Hunks of Provalone and Mozzerela

Hunks of Stilton Blue cheese

Also --- beef jerky...and only in the fake replicated form of Slim Jims....barely any real beef 100% juicy snappy goodness!

hmmm...I see a salt theme in my diet...oh yeah - also dark chocolate and milk

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Sorry wasnt done....

as I was saying...

And milk chocolate dipped in salt...yes you ehard right...salt with my chocolate too. Dont look at me with that weird expression...its the hormones....not anything related to free will. I am a prisoner in this PMSing body!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

And milk chocolate dipped in salt...yes you ehard right...salt with my chocolate too. Dont look at me with that weird expression...its the hormones....not anything related to free will. I am a prisoner in this PMSing body!!!

No one would make fun of you for that (unless you're using table salt :laugh: )--chocolate and salt is a popular pairing.

I've been craving creamy, fatty things that don't require much chewing...the Fage Total greek yogurt, peanut butter, tonkotsu broth....

No one would make fun of you for that (unless you're using table salt :laugh: )--chocolate and salt is a popular pairing.

I've been craving creamy, fatty things that don't require much chewing...the Fage Total greek yogurt, peanut butter, tonkotsu broth....

That is just the thing...it IS table salt *shrinks due to embarrasment*, that or sea salt! either will do, the later is preferred

Mmm, salt is good.

At the moment in pregnant state, salt on tomatoes. With olive oil. Sometime balsamic.

Also, roasted eggplant with salt and much olive oil so the edges go crispy.

Salted nuts are also excellent. Protein, fat and salt. Tasty!

cheers

Maliaty

• 2 weeks later...

PASTA AND CHOCOLATE!

My cravings hit and I just have to have a big hot bowl of pasta sprinkled liberally with garlic, olive oil, SALT and nutritional yeast. MMMMM

And then....chocolate...whatever kind, in whatever form...just get it in me! Fast!

give me MEAT!!!

the chicken breasts last night were good, the fage with fruit for breakfast ok but i want red meat!!!!

too bad i'm at work

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

give me MEAT!!!

Nu, so you vant I should make you a salami omelette?

heather -

not a big fan of salami but i DID have 2 quater pound Thumann hot dogs for lunch today - with onion confit and ketchup...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lady T is in da house!

I've been experiencing the joy of PMS and perimenopause - all at the same time! Whee.

I had a medium rare hanger steak Tuesday night, and the leftovers yesterday. That took care of the red meat cravings. Now if only my husband's bag of potato chips on the counter would quit calling my name...

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme