• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

Today, three days into the "Day before"

Two mini bagels, two eggs fried in bacon fat, two pieces of bacon, shared with my cat.

A hot dog with mustard, at a local craft fair. ( after I ate it, I found out saurkraut was an option, my daughter wondered why I was crying. :angry:

Dinner was an Arby's roast beef, something I never eat when sane.

Tonight's dessert was some nice Merlot in the glass.

I've been done having kids for eight years now, can't this stop??? :sad:

---------------------------------------

:cool:

Menopause is complete. No excuses possible...but just the same, I have a beautiful roast chicken resting and almost ready to carve in the kitchen, with potatoes roasted in the pan and some halved seasoned Belgian endives too, that I threw in an hour ago to cook in the juices. I've poured a tasty flute of cava to go with it all.

Do (heh heh heh) excuse me.

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Is it munchies? Is it PMS? Who knows and who cares....

After a normal morning of porridge and coffee, a small avalanche happens in my pantry:

big bowl of tofu pudding (I like tofu, dammit, even in my pudding)

what was left of a box of Fiber One cereal

2 cookies

what was left of a box of Frosted Flakes

at least a dozen rye crisps....

and on.....

:blink:

Andrea

in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

"Aunt flow" came over 2 weeks ago and let me just say I wanted to go to the grocery store and buy a whole rotisserie chicken for myself. I wanted to eat it plain with nothing else, just put it in front of me while watching tv and pick all the meat off of the legs and thighs. Breast meat - ughhh

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

"Aunt flow" came over 2 weeks ago and let me just say I wanted to go to the grocery store and buy a whole rotisserie chicken for myself.  I wanted to eat it plain with nothing else, just put it in front of me while watching tv and pick all the meat off of the legs and thighs.  Breast meat - ughhh

You wanted to and didn't? Then it's not a juicy and gluttonous enough post for this topic. Come on back when you've made and eaten a pan of brownies.... *burp* :raz:

:biggrin:

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

3-5 huge pieces of green mangoes, peeled, sliced and dipped into sauteed fermented shrimp paste. I can finish everything in about 30 minutes. My mouth is watering at the thought of it.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

on the way to the hawkwatch this morning an intense craving for a western sandwich. i almost detoured to my favorite diner for takeout but.....i had to get to the watch and had food in the trunk.

finished off three pieces of toast with miracle whip light and finlandia heavenly light swiss cheese and grape tomatoes as a side. off to run a few errands and a new craving for a circle burger with bacon and onion rings so a bit of a detour for an early dinner/late lunch. i still want red meat...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Damn, double damn and triple damn for having my PMS stint coincide with Halloween! I've already destroyed the evidence so I'm uncertain of the exact count, but (so far) today I consumed two mini Oh Henry bars, one mini Caramilk, one mini Kit Kat, one mini Mr. Big (there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one) and one treat-sized bag of Doritos. Breakfast was a treat-sized bag of mini Chips Ahoy and a mug of coconut tea... with an Ambrosia apple to mitigate the junk-food guilt. :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Can pregnancy count as 9 months of PMS? Currently it's hot chocolate. This is only after consuming the better half of a bag of mini snickers, twixs & milkyways that were meant for trick or treaters!! I am not normally a chocolate eater, if I do it's dark only. Now I can't stomach dark, only milk and especailly white (which I normally despise...go figure)

Can pregnancy count as 9 months of PMS?  Currently it's hot chocolate.  This is only after consuming the better half of a bag of mini snickers, twixs & milkyways that were meant for trick or treaters!!  I am not normally a chocolate eater, if I do it's dark only.  Now I can't stomach dark, only milk and especailly white (which I normally despise...go figure)

Jenny, congratulations!

But I sincerely hope that never happens to me--I believe white chocolate is an abomination.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

PMS... *sigh*. I don't really crave chocolate (though I like it) or chips. I crave steaks, pasta, burger, FRIES, noodles, Chinese food...lots of beef and potatos in general!

Oh and fast food. McDonalds, BK and especially Kentucky Fried Chicken (I buy the variety meal- 2 piece fried chicken, some wings, 2 crispy strips, fries and a cola and eat it all in 20 minutes) :unsure:

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

I too crave goat cheese, as said above. I like sooo many varieties....havent met-a one that i havent loved. Crumbly, soft, semi soft, hard, you name it.

I also crave peanut butter....sooo good when spread thickly on warm toast...so it gets all melty....YUMMY.

Fried chicken, in any forms. This is often chicken strips/tenders (from my freezer), dipped in sweet and sour sauce, ketchup, and mustard (three seperate globs of course).

Love tortilla chips with the jarred/canned cheese on the side heated up...dip chips, generously, in the cheese. MMMM

Sweets (chocolate in the form of anyhting, including chocolate peanut butter combo's, and candy candy, chewy preferably, like skittles, star burts, trizzlers, whatever!)

Basically, I crave crap food. Oh yeah, chinesse and pizza too. MMMM

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Okay, it's been almost three months since my full hysterectomy, so it should be physically impossible for me to be experiencing PMS cravings, right? Right?!?

Arrrg.

(Is that the big hunk of leftover super-rare London broil in the fridge I hear calling my name?)

:laugh:

3-5 huge pieces of green mangoes, peeled, sliced and dipped into sauteed fermented shrimp paste. I can finish everything in about 30 minutes.

My mouth is watering at the thought of it.

I've never tasted a green mango, the thought of fermented shrimp makes me HURT, and PMS is a blessedly-dim memory, but for some arcane reason, possibly related to your delightful description, SO IS MINE. :shock:

Hormonal storms conjure up cravings for carbs, especially the salty, greasy variety, and protein. A whole roast chicken with a bunch of french fries, sort of thing. Or pasta with plenty pesto and cheese. Or simply a bagful of potato chips, oy vey. Not sweets, for me. Altogether as I get older I crave sweets much less. I look forward to being past all this...

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Hormonal storms conjure up cravings for carbs, especially the salty, greasy variety, and protein. A whole roast chicken with a bunch of french fries, sort of thing. Or pasta with plenty pesto and cheese. Or simply a bagful of potato chips, oy vey. Not sweets, for me. Altogether as I get older I crave sweets much less. I look forward to being past all this...

Miriam

I'm not one for sweets either, but my hormonal storm came the day after halloween here.... candy for breakfast,anyone? I was really out of wack this month. I'm the type of person who can take the kids for ice cream and just drink some water, so this is a new one on me!

Yesterday found me eating crumbled blue cheese off the point of a butter knife.. microwave popcorn, and a bologna/cheese, pickle, onion, green olive sandwich, let's be kind and call it a muffaletta. :biggrin:

Edited by christine007 (log)

PS.  Also in that dim memory is a bag of Fritos---the original stiff, salty ribbon ones---a jar of Cheez Whiz, and a jar of orange marmalade.  Dip into one, then into the other.  Munch.

They were my own private jars.  Nobody else would touch 'em.

Fritos are proof that a higher power loves us and wants us to be happy! :laugh:

Heck, you can smother them with cheese and or salsa, have them next to the sloppy sub or burger of your choice, float them in your soup. They're the perfection of grease and salt, and no cooking or having to try to track them down.

Even the gas stations have em.

I was watching a terrible foodtv program "Paula Dean at home" or something. Everything she made seemed revolting in that formula that goes: 1 cup butter + 1 cup mayo + 1 cup cream cheese + 1 cup shredded jack cheese + 1 cup sour cream, garlic salt. and yet like a car crash i couldn't stop watching...

All of a sudden she started to assemble a butter cracker covered in a tbsp of parmesan and rolled in a slice of bacon cooked at 250 degrees for 1 hour i think. i don't know what happended to me I HAD TO MAKE THEM.

saddly i also had to eat all 16 of them.

i beg of you

in the name of all that is good and holy

KILL ME!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

i beg of you

KILL ME!

No, no, no, My Dear---you just make a pot of tea and calm yourself. Tune in to Miss Lucy's Cajun Kitchen on RFD TV. Watch her put smiles on the faces of stockholders in Kraft Philadelphia Brand, Campbell's Cream of, and entire herds of butter-making cows. Sit and watch and do nothing.

THEN, we'll talk.

i beg of you

KILL ME!

No, no, no, My Dear---you just make a pot of tea and calm yourself. Tune in to Miss Lucy's Cajun Kitchen on RFD TV. Watch her put smiles on the faces of stockholders in Kraft Philadelphia Brand, Campbell's Cream of, and entire herds of butter-making cows. Sit and watch and do nothing.

THEN, we'll talk.

Now that's what I call therapy!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Fritos are proof that a higher power loves us and wants us to be happy! :laugh:

You're my kind of theologian! Grease, salt and crunch of the highest order.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Jaysus, I searched this topic to see what my pms screed was in case I repeat myself, and yes, still brie and sushi (sigh). Guess I'll take the good advice of two years ago and "lay in some red wine". Thanks, Magali......

Oh! But recently I must say I've added thai yellow curry with lots of potatoes and carrots to stem fleeting thoughts of spousal homicide... :biggrin::angry::wink::cool:

Today I've had fondue for lunch and then tacos al pastor and guacamole with two baskets of chips. Life is good. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Today I've had fondue for lunch and then tacos al pastor and guacamole with two baskets of chips.  Life is good. :smile:

Lucky Bitch! I may be lower on estrogen now than when I started this topic, but all these Grrrrl nutrition choices sound logical and wonderful to me.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com