• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

I have enjoyed this thread so much...and although I can't be a offical member, cause of menoPauzw, I still have great cravings for the following:

1. large amount of red meat, (very rare).

2. drinking pickle juice out of the jar, (when no one is looking :raz: )

3. involuntarly eating bologna.

Lordie help those poor cattle we have on the farm.

:shock:

:laugh:

Ohhh man. Did I just have your dinner...! Last night's dinner, recycled from Joy Yee's, was Thai beef salad. But tonight, ahh, the leftovers I brought home were juicy, plenteous, rare, and cold. The red onions, cucumber slices, and chopped cabbage had marinated -- yep, that's right, pickled -- and the whole thing went down just fine with a little glass of red. No more than that, because alcohol isn't safe in large doses in the kind of heat we've been featuring in Chicago the last six days, but damn, ma'am...as I said, I'm afraid I just finished off your dinner.

I'd say I'm sorry, but -- umm -- it was really great, and I'm really not.

:blush:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I've had 2 deep fried chicken wings, fried rice, a Korova Cookie, a slice of Castella cake, 2 slices of Emily Luchetti's Brown Sugar-Ice Cream Chocolate Roulade, a handful of salted butter caramels, a slice of processed cheese, and now...I'm craving pasta. And scrambled eggs except there are no eggs in the kitchen.

Yesterday it was lots and lots of cake, mangosteens, crab, deep-fried mantou (I sense a theme here), and pasta (I sense another theme here).

Also, I'm eyeing the brownie I have frozen in the fridge--I've plans for it, but the evil demon keeps saying, "you can bake another one, so eat it!"

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Went through the checkout line at the CVS yesterday with a box of tampons, a bottle of Aleve, a jar of Super Chunk Skippy and a box of baked Cheese Crackers.

Think I gave myself away?  :biggrin:

Wow Katie, you have created cocktails out of all sorts of things. But this one I just can't imagine. Would the lavender work here? You know that I think a little Luxardo maraschino always helps a drink. I am just as interested in the name you have given this one.

What's that you say? This isn't the cocktail thread? Oh. Sorry, please disregard

Any cocktail I would create at that phase of the lunar cycle would require prescription drugs, not OTC pain relief. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yesterday I bought Godiva's milk chocolate penuche nut ice cream, and I didn't like it much.  Then I sprinkled it with table salt.  Oh, my god!

Now I'm a salted chocolate ice cream whore.  :laugh:

YES!!! YES!!!!!! Chocolate and salt do spectacular things to one's tastebuds!!

Why does nobody understand when I take a salt shaker to my hot chocolate??

My best friend's boss just came back from a trip to Italy and brought her a box of real Perugina chocolates.

I got to have two of them earlier tonight. :wub:

That was absolutely exactly what my crampy bloated disgusting self needed.

Nectar of the Gods.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I posted this on the 3am grub thread, but Chufi suggested (maybe even seriously) that I share it here as well, and I will...only because I've seen the look on my wife's face as "the medicine" is working, and I want you all to have that same opportunity:

1 good onion, sliced

1/2 lemon

1 tbsp butter

1 good poppyseed kaiser roll

1-2 slices Emmenthaler, Gruyere, or Gouda

2 tbsp mayonnaise

freshly ground pepper

Melt butter, saute onion briefly, squeeze the half lemon into the pan, arrange onions into something that might fit on the bottom half of a Kaiser roll, place the cheese on top of that pile until it really melts. Put the mayo on the top half of the roll, put the onion-cheese pile on the bottom half, grind pepper, close, eat, feel better for awhile.

There's also a prosciutto option that seems to work pretty well....

best wishes,

mark

EDIT: Ack! I didn't see the "No Boyz Allowed" rule when I posted...I guess that's why Chufi said "she" could post it over here. sorry sorry (backs out of room, closes door).

Edited by markemorse (log)
  • Like 1

Yesterday I ate ~ a pint of jelly-bellys, 8 egg rolls, 3 large cookies, 4 granola bars, a bacon/mayo/tomato sandwich, and half a large bag of Kettle black-pepper and salt potato chips. 4 cups of coffee, 2 glasses kahlua and milk. I only stopped with the chips and eggrolls because they ran out.

I had my suspicions....sometimes its no fun to be right.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Thats great, I love eggrolls as well...what kind were they?

My last PMS munch-a-thon consisted of a pk of now and laters (with a sore tooth to follow), 4 pieces (okay okay 7) of bacon...eaten by themselves to preserve thier smokey flavor...mmm...a large bowl of ramen (2 pks...thats 4 servings!!! Oriental Chicken flavor), 2 drumksticks...and almost a whole (large) bag of puffy cheetos...the original chester cheeto version, a bowl of cream of wheat with lots and lots of swabs of butter...mmmm....I sense a theme here...salty, sweet, salty, sweet, salty sweet...continued on throughout the morning, day and evening!!!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I posted this on the 3am grub thread, but Chufi suggested (maybe even seriously) that I share it here as well, and I will...only because I've seen the look on my wife's face as "the medicine" is working, and I want you all to have that same opportunity:

1 good onion, sliced

1/2 lemon

1 tbsp butter

1 good poppyseed kaiser roll

1-2 slices Emmenthaler, Gruyere, or Gouda

2 tbsp mayonnaise

freshly ground pepper

Melt butter, saute onion briefly, squeeze the half lemon into the pan, arrange onions into something that might fit on the bottom half of a Kaiser roll, place the cheese on top of that pile until it really melts. Put the mayo on the top half of the roll, put the onion-cheese pile on the bottom half, grind pepper, close, eat, feel better for awhile.

There's also a prosciutto option that seems to work pretty well....

best wishes,

mark

EDIT: Ack! I didn't see the "No Boyz Allowed" rule when I posted...I guess that's why Chufi said "she" could post it over here. sorry sorry (backs out of room, closes door).

mark- that's fine your contribution was a fine addition to this page. thank you. now you will forget everything you have seen....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This is a bit OT, but someone on a previous page mentioned Aleve. I've only taken ibuprofen for cramps, is Aleve better?

Although, goodness knows pain relievers are a definite craving this time of the month, so maybe not so OT after all.

This is a bit OT,  but someone on a previous page mentioned Aleve.  I've only taken ibuprofen for cramps,  is Aleve better?

Although,  goodness knows pain relievers are a definite craving this time of the month,  so maybe not so OT after all.

I've noticed the women here all crave salt. Could it be that the painful cramps that women endure are caused by low sodium content in their blood?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I have no cramps due to taking bcp's, yet I still crave extremely salty snacks. 

I don't know what it is, but it seems like most women want the sweet/salty & carbs combination

I am the same way. Forget the chocolate, I want SALT!! I can eat a small bag of Ballrich's(they are from this area of the country, not sure they are available elsewhere but damn they are good!) potato chips in one sitting. Glad to know I am not the only one.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too... the chocolate craving hits about a week before, but right when the fit is about to hit the shan, it's comfort food: fresh hot popcorn with lots of butter, mashed potatoes, chips and guac (those Kettle pepper chips are good, too!)... you get the idea.

So nice to find this thread! Don't need it right now, but I know I'll be baaaaack...

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

ok. ladies. i am sliding quickly into full blown menopause at age 52. but i am still getting the monthly cravings even though i don't get my aunt flo except every other month(for the meantime). today was hell... first day back at full schedule for work(9-3), by 11:30 i had finished 1/2 container of lemon soy yoghurt, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 3 (1" square) pieces of raspberry crumb coffeecake and about 5 pieces of milky way dark chocolate minis(the best ever!!!!!). add in some more assorted mini chocolates during the meantime. at 1330 i ate the snack i prepared for the hawkwatch - some triscuits and 2 laughing cow light cheese snacks. after work on the way to the hawkwatch i stopped at Wendy and got a 1/4 pounder and a vanilla shake.........oh, the humanity....

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

Today, the after work snack was:

Kettle Chips tortilla chips (they are extra thick and extra extra salty) with DIP

DIP being 3 parts Polish mayo (extra tangy but not quite Miracle Whip) to one part ketchup with smashed garlic and dashes of Worchestershire.

fattysaltyspicysweet

And a glass of Cab Sauv. To class it up. :rolleyes:

ok. ladies.  i am sliding quickly into full blown menopause at age 52.  but i am still getting the monthly cravings even though i don't get my aunt flo except every other month(for the meantime).  today was hell... first day back at full schedule for work(9-3), by 11:30 i had finished 1/2 container of lemon soy yoghurt, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 3 (1" square) pieces of raspberry crumb coffeecake and about 5 pieces of milky way dark chocolate minis(the best ever!!!!!).  add in some more assorted mini chocolates during the meantime.  at 1330 i ate the snack i prepared for  the hawkwatch - some triscuits and 2 laughing cow light cheese snacks.  after work on the way to the hawkwatch i stopped at Wendy and got a 1/4 pounder and a vanilla shake.........oh, the humanity....

You really rock, but why the lemon soy yog? You missed a bacon opportunity.

Triscuits: salt grease and texture. Yum.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

You really rock, but why the lemon soy yog? You missed a bacon opportunity.

Triscuits: salt grease and texture. Yum.

ohhhhh... from you maggie that is high praise indeed. why? soy youghurt is kinder to my uh...alimentary system than a milk based youghurt and i love lemon and lime flavors for that sweetish/sour taste. today it was a boston cream donught.....

edited to say i am also craving massive chunks of protein but don't have the time - or energy right now to cook them. think i need to have the johnnybird take me out for steak...nah, ain't gonna happen.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 3 weeks later...

Cookies. Lots and lots of cookies. I want to go home right now (screw work... do I really need a paycheck? I think I need cookies more right now.) and work my way through the whole Christmas cookie thread. All damn 10 pages. (Hand over the sugar and no one gets hurt. :blink:)

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."