• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 2)

[Moderator note: The original PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: PMS: Tell it Like It Is. Your cravings, Babe (Part 1)]

Ah FINALLY! I have been reading a variety of eGullet topics as of late, but have been especially dedicated to this PMS post! You gals are halarious! I jsut finally figured out how to upgrade my membership to "participating" mode, and can now comment!

Horray for me!

I also get cramps with my monthly little devil, I mean friend..hehe

With the lovely cramps, I often crave peanut butter, fats, crunchy foods (think fried foods, chips, etc) and ALWAYS red meat! Love those burgers, steaks....mmmm Fried chicken is always a good bet...as are taco from..ahhemm...taco bell. I know I know its bad, but I love that place.

A weird craving I experience is Italian ice...go figure! I wish we had water ice here in Chicago (Like the magificient kind from Phili!)...

These last few days I have been PMSing and wanting those chinesse rice noodes, the fried ones that chinesse restaurants serve as appetizers (or at least used to serve, I haven't seen those for ever!!!)...I buy em' at the grocery store though, and dip little fingerfuls into sweet and sour sauce, such a great combo...crunchy little salted fried things in a sauce that's sweet and sour all at the same time...DELISH!

I often crave frozen grapes and smoothies too...hehe

Today, I had the following (a little guilty bout it too!)

breakfast - Starbucks Grande Carmel frapachino w/ extra whip and a rice crispy treat

Lunch - three slices Dominos cheese pizza...with loads of parmasion cheese on top for extra measure

Snack between lunch and dinner - hugs hershy kisses, left over egg drop soup and sweet and sour chicken (with rice mind you) from last night, 2 pks fruit snacks...I know that's gross too!

Din-Din - salsberry(sp!?!?!) steak with macaroni and cheese, a cantelope and watermelon smoothie made by ME!!!! And half my boyfriends burger that I found in the fridge loaded with onions, avacado, cheese and bacon....mmmmmm

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Welcome Lindsay Anne!

Yesterday all I wanted were ramen noodles with the flavor packet and fried cotechino :shock: And the old standby of chocolate chips eaten straight from the bag while standing in front of the pantry, the bowls being three steps away and, thus, too far to go.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Today - tortilla chips with garlic and dill hummus shamelessly dipped right out of the container. White chocolate chips straight from the bag because I don't need no stinking bowl. Lots of crackers with crunchy peanut butter and several handfuls of hazelnuts and sliced almonds.

I told you I looked like the hamster but you didn't believe me... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Welcome, LindsayAnn!

I've been pretty good lately in avoiding major junk food at lunch, but it was time to break out the Cheetos and Coke. Also a burger and fries. NEED RED MEAT!!

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

A weird craving I experience is Italian ice...go figure! I wish we had water ice here in Chicago (Like the magificient kind from Phili!)...

:biggrin:

Welcome, LindsayAnn! Italian ices can be found in the Taylor Street neighborhood, just west of downtown near the University of Illinois campus. Particularly wonderful on warm days. Enjoy.

Always glad to see another Chicagoan on the board!

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Welcome, LindsayAnn! Italian ices can be found in the Taylor Street neighborhood, just west of downtown near the University of Illinois campus. Particularly wonderful on warm days. Enjoy.

Always glad to see another Chicagoan on the board!

Thanks Lady T! Hmm I will def. be heading to Taylor street to check that out. Hehe...before I signed on here I was in Wrigleyville on Southport and stoped by Anthony's italian ice and got a large take home container of watermelon ice. MMMM so good. Right before that stop I was at the drive thru of Taco Bell...grrr 3 soft shell chicken tacos and 3 hard shell beef...gotta have a lil soft and chewy and a lil crunchy. AHHH the red tide....always know when she is near...unfortunetly!

Thank you all who have welcomed me! So glad to be a "participating member"! Now...I must go fund the jar of peanut butter!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Alright ladies...my boyfriend (sorry to mention the 'B' word in here) are leaving for vacation in about 5 hours (cab to the airport at 4 AM!!!). Going on a 7 night cruise to the Eastern Carribean. I will be sure to post my food experiences when I return. I am looking forward to good food, good seafood hopefully! My most anticipated things that await me though, are the two nights that the ship host's the MIDNIGHT BUFFET...so many chocolate deserts that any PMSing gal would be in heaven. Meats galore...and lots and lots of pasta, cheese's and so much more.

NOW GET ME ON THAT BOAT

P.S The boat has 13 restaurants, including a few buffets, all the food is free! Paid for with the cost of the vacation. Even room service, free 24/7! I am going straight to heaven right now!!! :raz:

P.S The boat has 13 restaurants, including a few buffets, all the food is free! Paid for with the cost of the vacation. Even room service, free 24/7! I am going straight to heaven right now!!! :raz:

:cool:

And you are, of course, going to visit all 13 and report back to us. Yes?

Enjoy!

:wink:

-- 2/19/2004

I've started my PMS night.

I've got cookies, cake, good bread, bananas for caramelized bananas, and of course, good choccie. I also have cookie dough in the freezer if I get really desperate, and chicken curry.

I definitely can't miss gym next week. And I'll definitely need to hit the supermarket before the weekend's over.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

btw, I love this thread :laugh:

when its that time of the month anything I eat must be very salty and very sweet. I think the perfect food for me would be chocolate covered spicy pork rinds

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 1 month later...

it struck today...

a pint of sweet and sour chicken. they forgot the rice. no problem. i sat in my car in the parking lot and scarfed down the chicken, dipping it in the sweet sticky flourescent red sauce and then popping it into my mouth while scalding hot. i finished the pint and was happy.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A Fontano's sub sandwich: twelve inches (down, Freud. DOWN, dammit!) of perfect salami and provolone and diced giardiniera peppers and tomato slices and lettuce leaves and maybe a little O & V, on beautifully fresh lengths of Italian bread, baked fresh the day you buy it.

And a glass of the Valpolicella I had at Timo last night after the Sondheim Grant Park Concert.

I need one of each. DagNABBITall, where's Fresser when I need him and the Mighty PT Cruiser?

:cool:

-- 2/19/2004

Currently waiting for pancake batter to thicken so I can start on my PMS din din. This is a very odd craving for me, but nevertheless here it is, and satisfy it I must. On my menu:

Buttermilk pancakes - will cook to golden brown mmm mmm

Bacon - fried of course!!!

Scrambled eggs, cooks in left over bacon grease

Cannot wait!

Went through the checkout line at the CVS yesterday with a box of tampons, a bottle of Aleve, a jar of Super Chunk Skippy and a box of baked Cheese Crackers.

Think I gave myself away? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Craving today was cream of wheat! Haha weird! Of course I loaded with butter, a lil sugar and salt. MMM And I love my lumpy, so I make sure it turns out that way by not stirring it until lumps have already formed.

It was good.

I followed that with peanut butter on toast...lots and ltos of peanut butter. The toast was sourdough...it was magnificant in its own right as well.(I sprinkle a lil salt on my peanut butter toast as well...as do I with bagels smeared with cream cheese....I think I sprinkle salt on EVERYTHING!)

1030 pm and i want nuts....

Emerald Dry Roasted Peanuts by the half handful chased down with a half capfull of Johnnybird's toast dope. sweet and salty

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Two nights ago, I marched out of our house and phoned up my friend Anne. I announced, over the phone, "I'm getting bitchy, I needed to get out of the house before I ripped someone's head off, and I need ice cream. Do you want to join me?"

In due time, I arrived at her door. We got in her car, and made a quick run to the nearest place that sells pints to go. Once we got back, we proceeded to have a double date with a couple of cool guys named Ben and Jerry. While we ate (Phish Food and Peanut Butter Cup, two spoons, thank you very much), we did something we almost never do and watched Hell's Kitchen in real time. (We also did something we always do as we watch that show and yelled at the TV a lot.) We both pegged the person who was gone that night.

Then I marched home again, feeling much better. :biggrin:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Went through the checkout line at the CVS yesterday with a box of tampons, a bottle of Aleve, a jar of Super Chunk Skippy and a box of baked Cheese Crackers.

Think I gave myself away?  :biggrin:

Wow Katie, you have created cocktails out of all sorts of things. But this one I just can't imagine. Would the lavender work here? You know that I think a little Luxardo maraschino always helps a drink. I am just as interested in the name you have given this one.

What's that you say? This isn't the cocktail thread? Oh. Sorry, please disregard

Edited by lancastermike (log)

I have enjoyed this thread so much...and although I can't be a offical member, cause of menoPauzw, I still have great cravings for the following:

1. large amount of red meat, (very rare).

2. drinking pickle juice out of the jar, (when no one is looking :raz: )

3. involuntarly eating bologna.

Lordie help those poor cattle we have on the farm.

:shock:

Huge cravings for ice cream. But not any ice cream....Roasted Marshmallow! Made by one place only in Toronto - it is heaven and guaranteed to soothe any frazzled nerves. Apparently Ben and Jerry are trying to buy the flavour from the creator so that all the world can have a big smile on their face!

Muskoka Kid

I've found a new, wonderful PMS Craving.

Brown sugar ice cream. It's just brown sugar, a touch of salt, milk and cream. Emily Luccheti's (spelling?) recipe in her new Ice cream book. It's on Leite's Culinaria if anybody wants it.

It tastes exactly like this soft-serve (after churning, before freezing) ice cream I used to love as a kid, but better.

:smile: I'm happy, so so happy! :smile:

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog