• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Opentable Reservation not Honored

canadian-eh

Visited Montreal last weekend and booked a table for 3 several weeks before. It was at a very popular bistro for 630pm.

Arrived at the appointed time and the maitre d' advised I had booked a table for 2 and they could not seat my party. We left and went elsewhere.

I did not bother to print the confirming email for 3 and take it with me (the Opentable app showed the "current" 2).

Forwarded the confirming email to Opentable and they acknowledged the error and would investigate. Received a token points credit.

I suspect the restaurant just want the revenue from a full table of 4 rather than 3.

Is this happening in other areas, just Montreal or just to out of towners?

I am not posting the restaurant's name at this point, awaiting some explanation from them via Opentable.

• Like 1

While I have no direct experience with Opentable I am obsessive about always having my copy of any form of a reservation. That said I am indeed sorry that you were treated so shabbily.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

No explanation from Opentable, just 1000 points.

Restaurant just emailed and offered a free glass of wine if i came again.

Not possible to rate on opentable system (as all traces of the reservation are removed), but i can do here, tripadvisor, yelp, urbanspoon etc.

from opentable, 1000 points = $13.

neither restaurant or opentable has told me who reduced party from 3 to 2. i certainly did not. opentable showed 2 in app at the time (now removed). there must be an audit trail of changes.

is this a creative way of insuring a full four top on a busy night?

the only positive was being able to get a table at another bistro across street where all 3 of us had an excellent meal.

the restaurant's offer of a glass of wine is beyond disappointing.

I'd think this was a glitch somewhere. Might be a good idea to call a restaurant ahead of time to confirm next time? I've never used open table, but tend to confirm by phone with airlines and car rental etc. Especially around busy travel times.

• Like 1

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog