• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Searzall by Dave Arnold

weinoo

I put this on my Birthday/Christmas List and my boyfriend noticed in the Amazon description of the Searzall they use the word "Small" are they coming out with a bigger or different version?

Thanks for the heads up on getting the trigger at Home Depot for $50, it's nice that it comes with a canister of Mapp fuel for home repair projects. Upon searching he also saw that just the trigger itself is $50 at Lowes, still $15 cheaper than Amazon.

Dave Arnold has dropped hints that B&D's next product will be an affordable consumer centrifuge.

Oh.

(She looks around hopefully for counter space.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

He's always recommending refridgerated  with a min 4000rpm in swing buckets.

There was an old Jouan unit that did that and had a 1200ml capacity.

Which would be perfect for home use. They were expensive new though. 

And he's ruled out kickstarter, hasn't he..........?

The size thing is just a quirk of the Amazon listing. There was talk at one point of making a tabletop salamander for home use, but I think that fizzled out. Dave Arnold has dropped hints that B&D's next product will be an affordable consumer centrifuge.

He told me this when I called in on the radio show....I can't wait!

• 2 months later...

so Dave finally admitted to the listening public that you're all right and a 'fuge is in preparation.

I for one would like to see at least 220V, 1Litre capacity, 4000rpm and refrigeration... ....is this plausible? 

(I'd also like to see the Searzall replacement screens shipped worldwide!)

Edited by adey73 (log)

• 1 month later...

So it's a year since people were spending small fortunes on the Searzall via eBay.

after a year are those who bought them still using them or have they migrated into cupboards and draws?

Far and away my most common use case for the searzall is melting cheese. Sometimes I just get too impatient when I am making a snack and cheese doesn't melt as much as I wanted it to. A quick hit with the searzall gets cheese nice and bubbly.

Melts cheese very well.  Great for throwing a nice sear on filet mignon done sous vide. Bad for chicken.  Decent for other cuts of beef, though those with concentrated fat pockets are less suitable for the treatment.  Believe it or not, I've not gotten around to making creme brulee to test the applicability of the Searzall to that.  I would not ever think of  using the torch on a big hunk of protein without the searzall attached.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I basically never used my torch before I got the Searzall (except for lighting the smoker and the fire pit). I still don't use it to sear SV proteins very often -- I prefer using a grill or deep frying -- but that functionality is nice to have for times that it's too cold or rainy to grill and and I don't feel like going through the hassle of frying. My main usage is melting cheese, and the Searzall is a total boss at that task. I also use it to cook out the whites on sunny-side-up eggs if they're looking runny when the yolk is close to done. It also functions as a nice security measure when I travel to friends' houses to cook and they have a crappy/uneven grill or oven that I can't trust to evenly sear everything. The ability to touch up the sear on proteins that didn't quite brown evenly is extremely helpful in such situations.

While I don't use the Searzall as much as I thought I would, it allows me to actually use my torch in the kitchen, where it previously sat unused. If you're going to have a TS8000, you should go ahead and pick up a Searzall while you're at it. Naked torches aren't good for much; the Searzall, on the other hand, allows for a lot more capabilities and control.

Agreed. It's great for cheese

I think the naked torch works just fine for browning a lot of proteins. The Searzall is just a tad too small and takes too much time to crisp up a steak.

I really want a smallish salamander. The Searzall is just a bit too small

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally get some extra money to buy one and they're sold out on Amazon. Is he going to make more? Or is the Japanese seller's $7,000 offer the only option?

I don't hate my cast iron griddle pan or anything but I thought a Searzall would be really handy.

$7K? Really!?!? I'll give up mine for $6,995. Never been used. I'll even throw in the torch for free. :P

Seriously, that is pretty ridiculous. I found a couple sellers on Amazon.co.jp for $150+. I'm not sure how ordering from there would work though or if the sellers are even legit. 

And another on Toronto's Craigslist for $70, but buy at your own risk. I just figured I'd help source possibilities since I have a knack for finding rare things on the internet. 

One day I'll get around to trying mine out.

Edited by MisterKrazee
Found another. (log)

i have to wonder with that Japanese seller... maybe he meant Yen? that would make sense. for $7,000 i could find a machine shop, have one fabricated, buy a car AND some nice grass-fed NZ beef (about a year's worth).

mid january sounds promising. as a freelancer i get paid sometimes. now's one of those times.

Yesterday, I spotted an Amazon Warehouse offering (damaged packaging) on the Searzall @ $69.  It was gone next time I looked and I decided it was just as well as I probably wouldn't use it that much.

But this is good to know in case I change my mind......

2 hours ago, MisterKrazee said:

the Amazon store should have them back in stock the second week of January

As for sellers in Japan, they're pretty above board overall. Especially with Amazon or eBay backing them up. I order knives and garden stuff from japan fairly often, usually through Rakuten but sometimes Ebay or Amazon. For me, Japan means less $ for shipping as I live in Thailand.

Since they're scarce at the moment, i think it's a great idea posting any we run across, as there are bound to be people beyond the ones posting who are interested (otherwise it wouldn't be selling out). Special thanks to MisterKrazee for that.

I really look forward to a handheld portable broiler. However, I've seen a lot of back and forth on which gas to use. Anyone have a preference? I'm guessing it doesn't matter as much when the steel, rather than the flame, is the heat source but any input from people using the thing would be great.

The manual and FAQ state that you should only use it with a 16.4oz camping cylinder of propane. 

Approved Tanks and Torch Heads

The Searzall requires a 16.4 oz “camping” propane gas cylinder tank (fat squat tanks, typically green). These tanks are found at hardware and camping supply stores.

DO NOT USE:

14.1 oz propane tanks (tall cylinders that are typically blue)

14.1 oz MAPP or MAP-Pro cylinder tanks (tall cylinders that are typically yellow)

Iwatani Torch

All other tanks or torches not mentioned here.