• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Searzall by Dave Arnold

weinoo

Here's the new set-up video for whose who have not yet seen it......

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Nothing in spam, I check it every day.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Are you happy with it?

It's more like a hand-held salamander now, rather than a super-high-intensity torch. The heat is spread over a much wider area, making control far easier than a bare torch. I haven't used it for anything real, just playing, but so far, so good. It's what I was expecting based on the product descriptions anyway. I'm a bit surprised by how "flamey" it is. Maybe there is still some residual burn-off occurring, but right now there are flames licking around the sides, at least in low-light conditions where you can see such things.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

oooh.  How did you get yours already?  I thought they were shipping from NJ... You'd image that NJ to OK would take longer than NJ to PA. 

/anxiously awaiting.

Mine shipped from Nevada. Apparently there are some advantages to living in the middle of the country :smile: .

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I just made nachos with it so I could get some action shots. I progressively turned down the lights to emphasize the flame:

Roughly "natural" light, the way it looked to my eyes as I was cooking:

DSC_5917.jpg

The overhead turned down by half and the exposure time increased to emphasize the flames:

DSC_5922.jpg

Lights out completely, all light from the torch:

DSC_5927.jpg

• Like 4

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Now that the product is actually starting to arrive in our hands, it's clear that they only recommend the TS4000 and TS8000. Whether for liability reasons or for some genuine problem with the other torches it's not clear, but they only want you using the TS4000 or TS8000 heads and the 16.2 oz propane tanks. No MAPP, no smaller tanks, etc.

This might be a silly question, but my torch is a few years old. It's a Bernzomatic with a trigger start that burns propane, with a hose between the torch head and the tank. I just took a close look at the torch, but don't see any model number or other way to identify it. Any guesses as to how I might be able to tell whether this torch would work with a Searzall, or is it a case of "If you have to ask, no"?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

This might be a silly question, but my torch is a few years old. It's a Bernzomatic with a trigger start that burns propane, with a hose between the torch head and the tank. I just took a close look at the torch, but don't see any model number or other way to identify it. Any guesses as to how I might be able to tell whether this torch would work with a Searzall, or is it a case of "If you have to ask, no"?

No, that torch is not compatible.

Chris, may I ask why, now that you've used one? I find that I have better control over the torch with the hose, since I don't need to support the weight of both the torch and the canister while I flame-throw. The canister rides on my hip, in a holster that clips to my waistband. With the canister directly attached, I find that my wrist gets tired much faster.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Chris, may I ask why, now that you've used one? I find that I have better control over the torch with the hose, since I don't need to support the weight of both the torch and the canister while I flame-throw. The canister rides on my hip, in a holster that clips to my waistband. With the canister directly attached, I find that my wrist gets tired much faster.

That's exactly my opinion too. The torch also seems to function just the same so I don't see why it wouldn't work nor why they wouldn't support it.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It's a liability and safety issue. Using it with the TS4/8000 and the camping propane tank provides a sturdy base that won't tip over easily. Using it with a torch head that's attached to a tank by a hose is ill advised. In use, the Searzall is gets super duper hot and it's much larger than the existing torch nozzle; it needs a place to sit down after you're done using it (like on top of a camping tank of propane). You can't just plop it down on a table or countertop without melting something or starting a fire.

I can sure see why...in short..... the Searzall isn't meant to be used with any torch other than what the manufacturer recommends...that should be enough. Some other reasons why...someone will undoubtedly lay the screaming hot thing down somewhere that they shouldn't. On top of that.....the BTUs don't match that of the higher end torches.....the burn tube isn't the correct size...it's not momentary like the high-end torches....see the video above.

Why not use the correct torch for the job and avoid disappointment and risk? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

As I said up thread, most torches have problems burning upside down, especially with a full tank. And in fact, the video DDFarm linked shows the torch went out a couple of times.  When that happens, pure propane liquid/vapor can be sprayed on food and give that propane taste.

With the recommended torch head, you can click and start the flame again right away. That may not be possible with others.

A flexible hose solves that problem. 

I also don't understand why they can't give you screens that is already seasoned, if the screens can be so easily damaged.

dcarch

I also don't understand why they can't give you screens that is already seasoned, if the screens can be so easily damaged.

To sell more screens...it keeps customers coming back.  :cool:

The Searzall gets very hot (obviously): you cannot set that extra large superheated torch head down on any normal surface so you'd have to just keep holding it while it cooled. This seems like a recipe for disaster to me. You'll also find that because the flame is so much more diffuse, the additional control your setup affords you is not as necessary as with a bare torch. Just tell yourself it's an upper arm workout  :smile:. This is one case where I would not toy with any of the various warranty-voiding strategies one might ordinarily be tempted into.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It would add steps to the manufacturing process, increasing the cost and complexity of the unit. I don't see that telling you to do a "dry run" of the torch for two minutes is particularly onerous. 

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

They are very specific now: only the TS8000 and TS4000 are officially supported, no exceptions. And I would definitely not use a torch with a flexible hose with the Searzall, under any circumstances.

This is not very good news given that these are not, to my knowledge, available in the EU, and many people in the EU, like me, ordered the searzall. I hope as more people around here has it someone comes up with a good compatible & available model. Some comments about it are appearing in the kickstarter page, but some "official" confirmation would be wellcomed

if you have any questions about not doing what is strictly recommended, watch the video is you have not already.

this is a dangerous kitchen tool if used in a cavalier fashion.

do not let a child near this.

do not 'pull a cork' beforehand.

• Like 1

do not 'pull a cork' beforehand.

That's good advice!  :smile:

Same here.  :angry: