• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenAid 7 qt. Mixer

Norm Matthews

The new mixer arrived today. Of course I can't keep it hidden from Cassie, especially not with Thanksgiving so close. To mess with her a little though I told her a couple days ago that I was going to paint the old mixer red for the holidays. The old one is out of the kitchen so I have to wait to see how long it takes her to notice it's a different color. It is quieter than the old one and start up is smoother.

DSCN0993_zps27d40bd5.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Excellent. very Excellent. thanks for the pics.

dont forget that scraper blade !

for some reason I pleased when KA does it right. I have in addition to my 6 qt pro a very old one with a glass bowl thats at least 50 years old.

I do Bulk mashed potatoes in it in the past as the glass bowl can be heated up and retains some of that heat for the M.P.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Ah yes. I never know when I want a new color in the kitchen. Red is the color of the season. Here is the first fruit of the KA baked today to get ready for the big meal: Challah. More pictures of the bread in the Baking section.

BTW The 6qt bowl and all the mixer blades work perfectly when put on the new mixer too.

DSCN1008_zps17f15216.jpg

DSCN1011_zps21d67549.jpg

• Like 3

My family has gone through 3 KitchenAids. The first was a Hobart-era KA (not sure the model, but it has the bowl cradle) that we got for my mom in 1986 (happy mother's day to her!). When she finally thought about getting a new one, she let me take the Hobart. Big mistake.

Her new one was the swivel head, or low end one. It just couldn't keep up with her (professional baker, retired). So she got the Pro, which was very similar to the Hobart and loads better than the baseline version. But even after using that one and comparing it to the Hobart, the old boy still carried the day. At more than 25 years later. I've since had her tuned up with some replacement parts, which cost be a bottle of Jack Daniels. If I had to get another, I'd find a vintage Hobart era KA on ebay. They only cost about $200.

Our 5-qt Hobart KA (circa 1981) is sitting in a box for if ever we feel the need to use it as a spare. Our 6 qt sits on the counter. I asked the DW what she thought about a 7 qt. For what we do neither she nor I think there would be any advantage. But that red is gorgeous and it is a 7 qt ...

We bought 5 qt KAs for both daughters. Older daughter never took it out of the box because everywhere she has lived (home, renting with friends, boyfriend) there is already a KA in the kitchen. She sold it a year or so ago. If need be we would give her our retired KA (purchased whilst my DW was PG with her). The younger daughter used hers for a few months after her wedding last year, then moved where there was no room for it. Now she and my SIL are living with us now and so there is no need of hers (red) to be unpacked again.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

A couple years ago I got a 4 1/2 qt. at an antique store for Cassie but she has a cake/cookie/cupcake business as a sideline and it has become too small for her. I use it occasionally. When Cassie and Charlie got engaged she had a 6 qt mixer on her wish list for a wedding present and i got it for her. It's hidden in the closet. In the meantime she has been using mine. Now that the new one will use the six quart bowl and all the attachments without having to adjust the bowl-to-beater clearance any at all, I feel she won't be wanting my new one as much. The one I got her is the color she picked out.. its a pearly color.

I can see why you couldn't resist! It's farking gorgeous!!!

I have a five quart lift KA (Hobart made) that I purchased in the mid 70s.

I was tempted to sell it when I got an Electrolux. But I'm so glad I kept my KA since it's what I use now. I no longer have a need for the great big mixer.

Edited by lindag (log)

• 5 weeks later...

I was tempted by the 7 qt, but I noticed Costco has a special version of the 6 qt that uses a similar DC motor (1hp vs. 1.3) and drive as the 7 qt but is quite a bit less expensive. $349 with a $50 rebate that expires today. So I bit the bullet and bought one...

The first thing you do with a new KA is to adjust the beater height. Major fail. The beater was hitting the bowl big time and there was no more room left to adjust it. So it went back. I also did not care for the bowl lift, so I'll just be keeping my tilt-head 5 qt for now.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

This 7qt was the first KA I've had that didn't need any adjustment. It was just right from the get-go. I have heard that the sometimes need an adjustment so the start-up isn't so fast.

My 5 qt was way out of adjustment when I got it (beater was way too high) but that one I was able to dial right in and it's been fine since. This new one could not be adjusted so that it worked.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I have the Hobart KA 5-qt. lift model (from the mid-seventies - as mentioned above). As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to have an adjustment for beater height.

Anyone know for sure?

I have the Hobart KA 5-qt. lift model (from the mid-seventies - as mentioned above). As far as I can tell it doesn't seem to have an adjustment for beater height.

Anyone know for sure?

The old Hobart lift bowls don't have an adjusting screw. According to the service manual, pg 25, you tap with a mallet to adjust clearance.

Lower the bowl and take it offf. Look at the stalk/stem of the mixer under the motor. If yours has this screw, you can adjust the clearance with it. Turning the screw located there will increase the clearance between the bowl and beater or decrease it depending on which way you turn it.

DSCN1105_zpsd1c5c0cf.jpg

The beater blade company is not going to make a scraper paddle for the 7 qt KA (I've asked them twice ;) and Rose Levy Beranbaum asked on her blog and they said no) but I've found the beater blade at Home Goods. They don't have it all the time, but you could ask them to hold one for you the next time they get some in....if you have them in your area.

Jeanne, do you use the Beater Blade for all baking?

I find some of my older recipes do better with the standard paddle. Is it just me??