• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenAid 7 qt. Mixer

Norm Matthews

I saw this in a catalog yesterday. It says it all metal gears, 1.3 hp, is hand assembled, torque shift varies with load, and the beater and dough hook are coated. It's supposed to be free shipping and a $50.00 off mail-in rebate. I am sooo tempted to get one for me for Christmas. Is there anyone who can talk me out of it? Please?.

It's King Arthur catalog. The free shipping isn't for a couple more days. Free shipping and rebate isn't offered on the website, at least not yet. I use my 6 qt for bread , whipped cream, butter, and mayonnaise mostly so I don't use the paddle a lot. My future daughter-in-law makes a lot of cakes for people with it and does not use the scraper paddle very often. She prefers the plain one. My only fear is that if I get it, she will want one too and I already got her a 6 qt. one as a wedding present.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Annabelle, I was not saying what I meant very well. They are getting married in July. Her mixer is gift wrapped and hidden in my closet. At present she is using my mixer.

Rotuts Here it is. It came Tuesday or Wednesday.

DSCN0969_zps406d2134.jpg

the cookies I make are the Test Kitchen oatmeal/cranberry/pecan/chocolate chip /.../...

It ends up being a stiff dough. they are 'lump-like' cookies. I flatten them a bit before I bake them

but they might be seen as ( not flatten ) as 'boulder cookies"

as i like them

the paddle with the 'scrape' is invaluable.

Just Me.

oddly enough, Amazon has an 8 qt KA mixer:

it seems to have the same 'works' :huh:

as the 7 qt but at 100 more:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KSM8990OB-Commercial-Bowl-Lift-Stand/dp/B00CPRYZ4S

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Qt-Commercial-Stand-Mixer/dp/B006LLZ83G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

which might be just a bigger mixing bowl

I await the 18 qt model to replace my 6 at.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Whoa, now 8 qts. is just too big. Next stop would be a floor model, buying flour in 200 lb bags and moving it around with a high loader.

I can see how the scraper blade would be wonderful for cookie dough and fudge.

Bed Bath and Beyond is where I got the mixer for Cassie and they don't have the 7 qt so no exchange there. Maybe I should just hide the 7qt. until they move out.

The beater blade company is not going to make a scraper paddle for the 7 qt KA (I've asked them twice ;) and Rose Levy Beranbaum asked on her blog and they said no) but I've found the beater blade at Home Goods. They don't have it all the time, but you could ask them to hold one for you the next time they get some in....if you have them in your area.

KitchenAid makes a 7 qt. beater blade with a scraper on one side as opposed to the Beater Blade co. that has it on both sides. I was leary of getting one of those for my smaller mixers because I was concerned that using one would strain the motor and possibly shorten the life of the mixer. I am going to wait a while before deciding whether to get one for this mixer or just use a spatula. Spatulas are more of a hassle to use but they are a lot cheaper... And I still have the KA scraper blade for the 6 qt. All of a sudden I don't care if it wears out now or not.

Kitchenaid stand mixer models KSM6573, KSM7581, KSM7586 and KSM7990 all use the same motor and transmission.

Transmission is basically motor driven planetary reduction gearing to a 90 degree Spiral bevel gears, then planetary gear drive for the main shaft. All gears are metal.

The motor is a magnetic DC motor. Kitchenaid needs to use a magnetic motor so that the unit’s design will not be bigger. A magnetic DC motor runs at high speed, and more powerful per given size, and can be controlled by PWM speed control to maintain high torque at low speeds. I cannot tell from the pictures if that is a brushed or brushless DC motor. When you buy a new car, they always instruct you to go slow the first 500 miles. Same should be done with a stand mixer, especially if it uses a brushed DC motor. There is a method called seating the brushes for DC motors to make it last much longer. I would run a new stand mixer at low speed with no load for a few hours to allow all moving parts to be smoothed out.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

dc, a baker we both know, Jetfan, said he took his 6qt. KA apart when it wore out and found that it had plastic gears. This one says it has a 5 year warranty. 6qt models have a 1 year warranty. Technical information says it has a 1.3 hp motor that delivers .44hp with direct drive transmission, all steel gears and all metal construction. It says it is newly designed to deliver optimum torque with less heat build-up.

Car instructions also tell you to change oil after driving slow for the first few thousand miles to get rid of the metal shavings.

"" Kitchenaid stand mixer models KSM6573, KSM7581, KSM7586 and KSM7990 all use the same motor and transmission. ""

so its just bigger and bigger bowls 6 qt to 8 qt.

I think perhaps, but do not know if the KSM6573 is a different 6 qt from the older 6 qt which is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-r-kp26m1xob-Professional-Stainless-Kitchens/dp/B008D6XVNG

I don't know the model number of the one I presently have. It is pretty old though and had been refurbished when I got it. It says Professional 6 and 525 watts. The coated dough hook and scraper paddle are more recent purchases.

DSCN0972_zps23077395.jpg