• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw pie dough

QbanCrackr

just to make it quick, since i've got to get back to work

i've been having many mixed results with pie crust

i made small 3" pies, dutch apple pie (not much liquid in the crust) and it baked fine on the first time

same size, double crust cherry pies--bottom crust kept coming out raw as the top crust overbaked

9" pecan & pumpkin pies single crust, the crust consistently comes out raw (except for the exposed rim of crust

i'm baking in aluminum tins, 350-375F

i don't have enough freezer space to fill the pies and then freeze prior to baking, as i've heard that works well

should i just blind bake the crusts until the bottom of the crust isn't translucent anymore?

my oven has 4 levels inside and heating elements beneath and above each level so bottom heat shouldn't be an issue

should i fill the frozen crust and then refrigerate so that the crust thaws?

thaw the crust, fill it and go straight in the oven?

i kind of told my family that i'd bake a bunch of pies for our big thanksgiving and as i try my recipes, i'm starting to get worried that i can't get it to work haha. i've never really been big on pies so its not something that i've had much practice with.

thanks for any help

Danny

You should not have to blind bake for those pies. Make sure you are pre-heating. Do fruit pies at 375, your pecan at 350, and start your pumpkin at 425 then reduce to 350 after 15 min. Test your oven with a thermometer. Your fruit pies in a calibrated oven should take 40-45 min; cover crust edge with foil if starts to brown too much. Use glass pans if you can. No foil pans.

Another solution to this problem is to use a pizza stone or similar surface to deliver direct heat to the pie pan. Not necessary, and I've baked lots of pies without one, but a direct contact heat sink will make this somewhat easier, especially with foil pans.