• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Los Postres de El Bulli"

Chris Macchi

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, Mjx said:

Does this book include that dessert that looks like an apricot?

I think that's Natura.  Los Postres desserts are more traditional in the sense of main componenet + sauce + side + garnish.  Natura is more minimalist and tromp l' oeil.

43 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I think that's Natura.  Los Postres desserts are more traditional in the sense of main componenet + sauce + side + garnish.  Natura is more minimalist and tromp l' oeil.

Thanks! Does it kind of overlap Migoya's Elements of Dessert?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

3 hours ago, Mjx said:

Thanks! Does it kind of overlap Migoya's Elements of Dessert?

I sold my copy of Natura so I can't really say.  Migoya has a very clean, modern presentation and does get kind of minimal, but I think he is less modernist in terms of ingredients and less abstract.  Natura does try to re-create nature in delicious piles of dirt and flower petal and such.  I haven't tried cooking anything as written from any of the books, but Migoya seems more approachable, with fewer so-called 'molecular' ingredients like ultratex and maltodextrin.  Here is a video about Natura:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QV9cBP1ox4

And here is Migoya's blog:  http://www.thequenelle.com/

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I sold my copy of Natura so I can't really say.  Migoya has a very clean, modern presentation and does get kind of minimal, but I think he is less modernist in terms of ingredients and less abstract.  Natura does try to re-create nature in delicious piles of dirt and flower petal and such.  I haven't tried cooking anything as written from any of the books, but Migoya seems more approachable, with fewer so-called 'molecular' ingredients like ultratex and maltodextrin.  Here is a video about Natura:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QV9cBP1ox4

And here is Migoya's blog:  http://www.thequenelle.com/

Thanks for the links! Also, I worded my question poorly, I meant to ask, 'is there some overlap between Los Postres and Elements of Dessert'? I have Migoya's book and like it very much, but am also interested in something completely different to it, in the modernist dessert category, so Natura might be a better bet.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

On 14/5/2016 at 10:51 PM, Mjx said:

Does this book include that dessert that looks like an apricot?

I gave a look to both "Los Postres de el Bulli" and "Natura", there isn't any dessert that looks like an apricot.

I suppose you ate it at the restaurant, if you remember the year then it must be on the elBulli book of that year. I have 1994-1997, 1998-2002 and 2005-2011, so I can give a look there (I still haven't bought 2003-2004 so if it was one of those 2 years then I can't help).

"Natura" has state of the art modern plated desserts, you can't get any better than that. As PastryGirl wrote, the style is a bit different than Migoya. Migoya is more geometrical and abstract, Adrià (on "Natura") tends to recreate natural sights with dessert components (like a woodland, algae and so on). Each dessert has a lot of components (6-8 on average), the difficulty level is quite high (as is for Migoya). You need an ice-cream machine, almost all desserts have an ice-cream; and a syphon of course. You need access to a lot of special ingredients (modernist stuff, exotic things like shiso, essential oils and so on).

Ah, a peculiar thing: the book is only photos, the recipes are in a CD-ROM included in the book.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo