• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 2)

Spring

Apparently wishful thinking pays off - there will be a recipe in the new book for turkish delight that uses regular starch - as it's been recognized that thin boiling starch is difficult to obtain in reasonable quantities for folks even in the artisanal confectionary community.

Oh wow, no kidding, I actually was not expecting that at all, I'll look forward to it, thanks Kerry

Any plans for a second edition of the Professional Chocolates & Confections book?

Is Greweling covering any asian flavors (like William Curley's book or Kee's Chocolates) in the second edition of the At Home Chocolates & Confections book?

Sorry about the Professional vs. At Home confusion, the new cover for the 2nd edition of C&C Professional just makes me think its a new edition of the C&C At Home.

The questions that I really meant to ask are:

1. Any plans for a second edition of the At Home Chocolates & Confections book?

2. Is Greweling covering any asian flavors (like William Curley's book or Kee's Chocolates) in the second edition of the Professional Chocolates & Confections book or any other books?

1. Any plans for a second edition of the At Home Chocolates & Confections book?

For some reason I'd probably assume no, that's based on the way CIA puts out their books. I don't think I've seen any of the 'at home' books updated, they seem to update just their textbooks every 4 years or so.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hi All

Have been making marshmallows from "Chocolates and Confections" for some time now.

Marshmallows turn out to be very soft and unable to hold shape.I follow all the instructions from the book-weighing ingredients ,temperature at which it is cooked etc :unsure: .

I dont know where Im going wrong,could somebody please help me????

I actually just started making marshmallows from the book as well, I thought the formula was fool proof. Are you sure your thermometer is calibrated correctly? Are you at an elevation where you have to adjust the temperature? I've made them and had no problems at all. I was a bit concerned at first when the book talks about taking a measurement for the specific point of gravity, but I never did that and didnt run into any issues. How large a batch are you making? Are you whipping the mixture enough? When you say youve been making the marshmallows 'for some time now,' how long is that? Has every attempt yielded the same problem?

I have made it at least 8-10 times with the same result n use 2 different thermometers which are traditional liquid ones.The batch is one whole recipe and beating the mixture as the book says for 6 minutes.

I personally would get a probe thermometer. I think I know what you mean when you say they are traditionally used for liquids. A digital probe thermometer was one of the best things I invested it, much more accurate then the 'traditional ones I used before. Since your an expert at making the recipe by now with all your attempts, why not try boiling the liquid 30sec to 1min longer then you think it needs to, and see if that gets you a different texture. Basically, you just need to get more water out of your marshmallows.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Beat until you can't beat anymore. The marshmallow will climb your beater(s) and it will be lukewarm. If in doubt, spoon a little out and see if it sets. If not and you can still beat more, do it. (Don't burn up your mixer:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

• 4 months later...

Not sure if the threads will be combined, but I'll post my thoughts here.

Just got the book today, and as Chris said, it is noticeably larger. The sections I mostly refer to are the crystalline and non-crystalline sections. I noticed it includes information that was previously only in his at home book, such as the simple procedure for making cast lollipops, where as the previous professional book primarily spoke of making lollis from pulled sugar. Something I almost started a topic about here, but the new book now covers it, is how to make those small pillow after dinner mint type candies. When I look at the instructions it was a 'duh' moment for me. I love how simple they are, and sort of 'old timey.' I saw a large bag of those mints at the store a while back and though "Why cant I just make those?" Well now I can haha.

In the non-crystalline sections, there is a new laminated candy. Its a hard sugar base that is laminated with a chocolate filling...never heard of this, but looks nice. The finished pieces are then dipped in chocolate. Not too sure if I'll try this, perhaps after I make leaf croquant, but still the idea is cool.

One thing I was saddened about was the Turkish Delight recipe. I remember in a thread a while back Kerry said there would be a formula for Turkish Delight using regular cornstarch, and there is, but I was sort of hoping it would not be the same formula from his 'at home' book. That formula I would say only makes an ok delight. In a short time the outside crystallizes, and it loses the supple texture. I might give it a second try.

Another little change I noticed was in the formula for frappe. I does not list dry albumin anymore, which is better for me. Maybe I'll make some of this stuff up and add it to the taffy, see if I really like it included, otherwise I'll continue to omit, I dont really enjoy adding the jet puff stuff.

I'll post more thoughts as I read the book further.

Heres a few other things I noticed. Greweling covers crystallized centers. I saw this on a YouTube video one time, but basically he pipes a ganache and submerges them in a super saturated sugar solution, then dried on a screen, leaving a crystalline layer over the centers. Also, where as in his previous book he only had a page or so that discussed panning, he now has a detailed section on how to go about the chocolate panning process.

Mine should be delivered today (arrived in my local post office at 1 am). Hooray!

Just ordered my copy (again). Amazon had cancelled my previous "pre-order" over a month ago.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Mine should be delivered today (arrived in my local post office at 1 am). Hooray!

Just ordered my copy (again). Amazon had cancelled my previous "pre-order" over a month ago.

Bummer. Too humid to mess with chocolate right now anyway. It's a soppy mess here in central VA, and you have to be wetter than we are!

• 1 month later...

The recipe for peppermint flake (2nd ed.) calls for chocolate liquor... is this unsweetened chocolate or something else?

Unsweetened chocolate aka cocoa mass aka cocoa liquor.