• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 2)

Spring

I got the book a couple of days ago. I think even if you have the first book, get this one too. There are a few different things in it. Since the recipes are geared more toward a home cook, it gives ingredient options that would be easier to find.

I made the Peanut Butter Goodness yesterday. They are very good, not anywhere near as sweet as a real Snicker's. I will probably use my caramel recipe next time. While this one is good, I think I should have cooked it a degree or so less. They are firm, but still fine. I know my recipe and think it would work better for me. I really like the PB nougat. They came out a little too thick, and that's because I used my metal bars instead of a 9X13 pan. Next time I'll know how much it makes and adjust.

I only had 1 1/4 cups peanuts, which looked like a lot, but when I cut them, you don't see as many.

005.JPG

I made the chocolate nougat ... really happy with the outcome even though I couldn't get the chocolate liquor (I couldn't even get 99% - my normal shop totally let me down ... the highest % I could find was 85%!).

I put in 250g blanched and toasted whole almonds and 110g cacao nibs ... only heated the second batch of sugar to 130 degC as I like soft nougat ... turned out beautifully! First time I've made nougat.

nougat.jpg

I made the chocolate nougat ... really happy with the outcome even though I couldn't get the chocolate liquor (I couldn't even get 99% - my normal shop totally let me down ... the highest % I could find was 85%!).

I put in 250g blanched and toasted whole almonds and 110g cacao nibs ... only heated the second batch of sugar to 130 degC as I like soft nougat ... turned out beautifully! First time I've made nougat.

nougat.jpg

Looks wonderful - especially for a first try.

• 3 weeks later...

Candy canes and striped hard candy lollipops on p.200 in PG.

Has anyone made them and if so, what extra tips would you extend to a novice in making striped hard candy?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lucy, that nougat looks great! I tried my hand at the soft chocolate nougat and threw in some pistachios and dried cherries; it was a big hit! It was a little intimidating, because I'm a newbie at this stuff (Greweling's book has been my Bible), and one of the more complicated recipes.

Was your soft nougat a lot lighter in color than the pictures you posted? Mine was about the color and consistency of the nougat in Snickers bars. It was a little too soft and tacky to get sharp edges, and the pistachios made for some lumps when I cut into it, but they still looked halfway decent after I dipped them.

Regarding chocolate liquor - my local Whole Foods occasionally carries unsweetened Callebaut, which has worked well for me. It's their usual $8 per lb.

nougat.jpgdipped.jpg

Edited by Nimbok (log)

• 5 weeks later...

For those who use Facebook, Chef Greweling has a public page with photos and a discussion board. You can find it here.

Your mileage may vary, terms and conditions apply, no warranties express or implied.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 1 month later...

I made pectin jellies today from this book-- wow, easy and tasty. I had some expired liquid pectin, but they gelled perfectly and my 5-year-old had a great time coating them with sugar. The mulberry tree in front of our house is fruiting, so the jellies are mulberry-lime flavored:

mulberry lime jellies.jpg

Step pyramid styling by my junior Egyptologist. I'm enjoying this book-- I just wish I had more time to work on my dipping technique-- maybe this winter!

Jen

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder: Has anyone made Trifections?? I have a few questions....

I made them but it was some time ago. I'll do my best to answer your questions though.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

thanks! My ? is-did you follow the recipe exactly or did you make any changes? I did not follow the recipe at all really but it is basically the same-I used almond paste no sugar with white chocolate using a 60/40 relation. I recommended this to a hoobbyist and hers did not work. \I think she had all sorts of mistakes but was interested in how others do this idea.anyhow-shana tova to you Steve-and thanks

thanks! My ? is-did you follow the recipe exactly or did you make any changes? I did not follow the recipe at all really but it is basically the same-I used almond paste no sugar with white chocolate using a 60/40 relation. I recommended this to a hoobbyist and hers did not work. \I think she had all sorts of mistakes but was interested in how others do this idea.anyhow-shana tova to you Steve-and thanks

I made them using the formula as written. I happen to have raw blanched almonds and raw blanched hazelnuts. As I recall, the nuts are toasted before adding them to the chocolate and confectioners sugar. The hardest part for me was that had not yet learned to fasten the rulers to my board so they don't move. I've now learned that I can use masking tape (the kind painters use) to hold them down. This was also before I bought my guitar and as such didn't have a good "biscuit" to spread the gianduja in the frame and get a smooth top.

Lastly, don't forget to give each layer time to firm before spreading the next.

Shana tova to you and yours as well.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Hi friends, I've searched the forum but I couldn't find information about the cream (not paste) of nuts as fillings. Also, as far as I see, internet does not have so many recipes with them.

I'm making mainly cream based ganaches so far, but now I'm thinking to make moulded chocolates with hazelnut cream, pistachio cream, almond cream etc. as fillings. I will not make them myself and use some commercial brands. I'm thinking to use them without combining any other ingredients, but I would like to learn your ideas about the recipes with those nut creams. Which ingredients can be combined with those creams in order to give more smooth mouth feel without shortening the one year self-life of these nut creams?

Thanks ... and, as always, I'm sorry for poor English.

Edited by Ceviz (log)

I am not sure what nut creams you are referring to... Without cream I assume?

And Steve, thanks. What is a Biscuit besides being a cookie?!

A "biscuit" in this usage is a long, generally flat tool used for spreading another substance into a uniform layer. A cursory search for a dictionary definition turned up nothing useful.

On the subject of "nut creams", would a gianduja be a good first order approximation of what is being looked for? Depending on the final texture needed, additional ingredients could be added to thin the mixture or keep a softer texture (gianduja will harden in a short time).

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Thanks Lebowits ... nut creams are indeed spreadable giandujas, and I think adding giandujas to these spreads would make them a little bit firm. I will try to add a little bit butter or very high percentage milk cream to obtain more creamy texture. Thanks for your interests.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried making it several times- The first time I did it exactly according to the recipe- Made almond paste and hazelnut paste in my food processor, and tabled it with each type of chocolate. Although it was a cold winter day, the mixture just wouldn't thicken on my marble and the temperature didn't get below 26 degrees- I think the friction between the nut particles keeps it warm. Eventually I moved it to a bowl inside a bowl with ice water and quickly cooled it down to about 22 degrees till it was thick enough. Next time I used ready made praline because I didn't like the texture (instead of 115 gr of hazelnuts and 70 gr icing sugar I used 185 gr of praline)- texture was well after crystallizing, but it was too sweet, and last time Instead of 185 gr praline I used 85 gr unsweetened hazelnut paste, and 100 gr praline. Texture was a bit softer because the unsweetened paste is thinner, maybe it needs to be cooled down more, but the taste was much better this time. What exactly did she have problems with?

1_143273028.jpg

I made the Lattes on page 260. Very happy with how they turned out, wonderful coffee flavor.

Had to make a few ingredient substitutions based on what was in the house but don't think that they changed the flavor profile or texture too much. Did not include hazelnuts, used espresso powder instead of instant coffee and used 1 ounce of heavy cream and 3 ounces of butter instead of 4 ounces of heavy cream.

Also played around some and made molded chocolates with homemade brandied cherries inside... first try at this combination, need to do some additional tweaking to get the texture and flavor right.

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to make the nougat recipe from the book (not sure which one yet, probably torrone). I have a giant container of meringue powder (Henry & Henry Kwik Fluff to be exact) left over from my cake making days and I was wondering if it would be possible to use it instead of the egg whites (dry and fresh) in any of these recipes, and if so, what the conversion might be? For example, the torrone recipe calls for 10g dried egg white and 100g fresh egg white. Obviously I would need to moisten the meringue with water so I'm thinking something like 75g meringue with 35g water? Should I be trying to sub by weight like this, or is there a better method? Is this even a good idea? I know meringue powder includes other ingredients so I don't know if those ingredients would ruin the recipe. Just trying to use up this meringue!

Ceviz, do you have Ramon Morato's book? There are spreads in there, if I recall. I think I have some recipes in other books as well. I will look into it later on. PM me if you are interested. I missed your "nutella type" explanation-sorry! BTW I do use unsweetened nut pastes mixed with chocolate and some cb (for a meltier experience).