• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling (Part 2)

Spring

Hello

Ive ordered Chocolates and Confections and am so excited I feel sick!

Ive seen the following book "Chocolates and Confections Instructor's Manual" and would be grateful if someone could tell me what this is.

Also, what is the difference in flavour between fleur de sel and sea salt?

As Im new Id just like to introduce myself quickly. I have been making chocolates/truffles/pralines/bonbons :) as a hobby for over 20 years and am starting out to make them professionally. This site is pure gold and you are all wonderful, im honoured to be a part of this community :blush:

Ive seen the following book "Chocolates and Confections Instructor's Manual" and would be grateful if someone could tell me what this is.

Welcome to eG, Spring!

The instructor's manual is exactly what it sounds like. The book is used as a text book at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York and Greystone, California). The instructor's manual gives tips on how to teach the content of the book, tests, etc.

Fleur de sel v. sea salt?

Sea salt is a more generic term and can range wildly in flavor and texture. FdS is more delicate in taste in texture than most sea salts. If a recipe calls for FdS, and I feel it is important, the only substitute I allow is the Big Tree Farms salt pyramids which I think are even better than FdS.

Welcome to eG, Spring!

The instructor's manual is exactly what it sounds like. The book is used as a text book at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York and Greystone, California). The instructor's manual gives tips on how to teach the content of the book, tests, etc.

I ordered the instructors manual and never got it - any idea if it ever actually got printed?

alanamoana: thanks for the welcome and the answer, I had a feeling that the book was exactly that. Hoped I could get another chocolate book for a teeny amount of money :hmmm:

gfron1; i had a feeling it was irreplaceable, Ill just have to buy it I suppose, sigh. Thanks for the info

Kerry Beal: Ive seen it on sale in a few places, amazon sells it but its unavailable. Here is a link for a uk bookshop, you could try there http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/...0470100059.html

i had a feeling it was irreplaceable, Ill just have to buy it I suppose, sigh. Thanks for the info

It's different as Rob said but I don't know that I'd call it irreplaceable (Rob didn't either). In my opinion, it depends what you're going to do with it. If you're using it as a finishing salt then you will probably enjoy the texture from the FDS more than the usual grocery store sea salts and may enjoy the taste more depending on the flavors it's competing with (meaning you may not even notice a taste difference against strongly flavored backgrounds). If it's to be used as an ingredient where texture is no longer a factor you may or may not find search out the FDS worthwhile. I've used FDS in caramel and I've used "fine sea salt" in caramel and I can't claim I noticed any remarkable difference but the same salts as finishing salts on chocolates (or anything else for that matter) are very obviously not the same.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

i had a feeling it was irreplaceable, Ill just have to buy it I suppose, sigh. Thanks for the info

It's different as Rob said but I don't know that I'd call it irreplaceable (Rob didn't either). In my opinion, it depends what you're going to do with it. If you're using it as a finishing salt then you will probably enjoy the texture from the FDS more than the usual grocery store sea salts and may enjoy the taste more depending on the flavors it's competing with (meaning you may not even notice a taste difference against strongly flavored backgrounds). If it's to be used as an ingredient where texture is no longer a factor you may or may not find search out the FDS worthwhile. I've used FDS in caramel and I've used "fine sea salt" in caramel and I can't claim I noticed any remarkable difference but the same salts as finishing salts on chocolates (or anything else for that matter) are very obviously not the same.

:blush: I was taking for granted that you could read my mind and knew that I meant that I want to use it as a finishing salt lol! thanks for the explanation