• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting a goose in parts?

rlibkind

Yes, I cooked the breasts like duck in a fry pan, rendering the fat, and served as a first course. Made a stew if I remember correctly, out of the rest of the bird. Worked really because the breast was medium rare the way it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late with the reply and I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Roast Goose with Confit Legs - in this recipe the legs are removed and the crown is cut away from the carcass. The carcass, wings, etc. are chopped up and roast with vegetables, legs on top, and the crown added later in the cooking.

I used this recipe last Christmas - the first time I had roast a goose - and was pretty impressed. The mystery is, I found it on the net, I could have sworn it was Raymond Blanc and on the BBC Food site. When I came to look for it again it was nowhere to be found until I found it, unattributed, on this guy's site: http://southsea.uk.com/tst/index.php/recipes/28-meat/fowl/132-roast-goose-with-confit-legs

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)