• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Headed to NYC for one day. Where to eat sushi?

Jacob King

I'm a big sushi fan and by no means a novice when it comes to fish. I'm only going to have the opportunity to go to ONE good sushi place while I'm there (IF i can even get a reservation). My question is where do i go? Masa (at $450) is out of my budget. But i am open to spending $100-200 for a lunch or dinner; omekase preferred. I am looking at Yasuda (even though Chef Yasuda himself has gone back to japan; i hear he has very competent chefs that have taken over). Any other recos? I'm looking for the best, most authentic to Japan, sushi place I can afford. Thanks for your help!

I always head to Yasuda, the moment I get back to NYC; I literally head directly there from Grand Central, luggage in tow, and order takeaway. I haven't been back for about a year, but I've always enjoyed what I got there.

I've heard a lot of enthusiasm expressed for Blue Ribbon, but have never gone there (the queue put me off).

I definitely recommend hunting up some of the other discussions of sushi in NYC, too, which also give a sense of the track record of many of the best-known places.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Why don't you try to go to the place that has been opened by one of Jiro's assistants - Sushi Nakazawa?

15 East is excellent.

Sushi Dojo is excellent and pretty new too.

From what I've heard recently, Yasuda good but not as good as it used to be. And out of your price range.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Blue ribbon is good, but I would say far from the best sushi in NYC. I have heard the same about yasuda as Weinoo - I used to go there quite frequently and always thought it excellent, but haven't been in about a year so I can't comment about it now. One of the aspects that I thought set them apart was the quality of their rice. Much more delicate than what is typical in the neighborhood sushi place. I can't say whether that has changed though...

Edited by KennethT (log)

Why don't you try to go to the place that has been opened by one of Jiro's assistants - Sushi Nakazawa?

15 East is excellent.

From what I've heard recently, Yasuda good but not as good as it used to be. And out of your price range.

biggest issue with nakazawa is the environment; too western from what i read. and also the "newness" of the place. not even sure i could get a reservation... and its actually more than yasuda. sushi bar omekase is 150 at nakazawa. yasuda has open price, just tell em what you want to spend (lots of people do about $100-135). i may try and give them (nakazawa) a ring tomorrow to see if they have availability for me. i do like the jiro tie in.

i'll follow up after i get back!

Edited by Jacob King (log)

15 East is excellent.

biggest issue with nakazawa is the environment; too western from what i read. and also the "newness" of the place. not even sure i could get a reservation... and its actually more than yasuda.

That's the new wave of sushi here in NYC, my friend. You're right in that you probably can't get a ressie, but never hurts to give it a try.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

ended up at Yasuda after all. spent $280 :) the menu said "sushi bar omekase: $150" so I ordered omekase. the chef kept going, and going, and going... a guy came and sat next to me and racked up a $111 bill and only ate about half of what I ate (he still had quite a bit though). when i decided I couldnt eat anymore, and was way past the point of wondering when my $150 would cut off, I finally let the chef know I was done. thats when my bill of $287 came to me. i knew I had gotten more than $150 of fine sushi, but didn't expect the bill to be almost $300. oh well :) I should have specified that I wanted a $150 omekase. was it worth $287? absolutely! the chef was amazing. fun to watch him perform; really is an art. i probably had in the neighborhood of 35 pieces of nigiri and a half roll. everything was anywhere from excellent to sublime. i had an oyster from washington that was out of this world. some ikura that was just heavenly. several cuts of tuna (from toro, chu toro to otora). several salmons (white king salmon to scotland to alaskan). some mackerels and bass, several different clams. oh i'm hungry thinking about it. can't wait to go back.

oh, and i didnt get to experience Jiro's disciples' tamago, but yasuda was beyond anything i could have expected. so different than what i get here in texas. perfection.

• Like 1