• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shopping list app?

Fernwood

I have finally joined the 21st century and now I want an app for my iOS devices to support a grocery list that can be used on the iPad at home and the phone in the store. I am willing to pay a few bucks. Any suggestions?

-Shopping Pro (Grocery List)?

-Buy Me a PIe! Classic - Grocery Shopping List?

-Any List - Grocery Shopping List & Recipes?

and so many more!

It's just the list management I care about; I have plenty of resources for recipes....

Thanks, Fern

Insofar as you can cope by using a single file (txt/doc/xls/ as you like) that the app makes accessible on all your devices, Dropbox is a great system. Now I can see all my work files on my smartphone, transparently, I carry a computer less and less.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

What sort of functionality do you need from the app? If it is very minimal, you can use the Notes app that is native to the iPhone, simply adding the items you need as you think of them.

This is what I use. It works fine for making all sorts of lists, but it doesn't remind you (there is a native reminders app that does that though) and I could see it being a pain if you have a standard list with may items that you buy frequently. I just check things off (using an emoji) or delete them from the list as I put them in my cart.

I remember that while growing up my Mom kept a standard par list that she printed off and then circled the things she needed to buy or added one-off items to the bottom; and then crossed them off as she went through the store. Are you looking for an electronic version of that sort of system?

I like Out of Milk. I'm not sure if it lets you share lists between devices (sorry), though I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

I use it on my Android phone, but imagine it works just as well on iProducts. The basic app is free, and that's all I use. But you can set up an account (which is where I think sharing between devices may come in . .) and there may be a charge.

It lets you create different shopping lists for different stores -- so I keep one going for my weekly shopping trips, and another going for shopping trips to the US which happen every few months. It also lets you have a to do list and a pantry list, neither of which I've used.

We use Grocery IQ. It syncs across multiple devices and platforms. It allows entries by both quantity and weight, groups like items by supermarket aisle, has a barcode scanner and supports multiple shopping lists so I can keep track of a number of grocery stores where I routinely shop sales and also keep the Trader Joe's list separate.

I second Out of Milk, which does indeed let you share across devices. It's very nice that I can add something to the list when it's my husband doing the shopping. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley