• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You're Doing it All Wrong

Shel_B

This morning, to satisfy my curiosity about an aspect of making oatmeal, I discovered a series of You Tube videos under the general heading of "You're Doing it All Wrong." Here's the link to the oatmeal-making video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pT8IaxL6jtg in which the cook demonstrates how to make oatmeal from scratch, starting by grinding your own groats. It really doesn't look too difficult, and it might be a fun thing to try. If nothing else, I may have learned a thing or two about making and eating oatmeal.

When the video is over, as is often the case on You Tube, a number of other video choices appeared, including one about pan frying bacon which, to me, was very enlightening. There are videos about making fries, nachos, burgers, and more.

I don't know who all the cooks are, although the bacon guy is associated with Prather Ranch, a purveyor of high quality, grass fed meats found at numerous farmers markets and quality markets in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I guess he knows what he's talking about. When done, his bacon looked great. Gordon Ramsey looked to be in another video.

So, you might want to take a peek. Perhaps there's something to be enjoyed and maybe even learned.

• Like 2

... Shel

Is this connected to the egregiously silly and consistently wrong Salon column?

"EVOO" on popcorn, indeed.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Is this connected to the egregiously silly and consistently wrong Salon column?

"EVOO" on popcorn, indeed.

I don't think so ... watch the video and maybe you can tell us.

Is there something wrong with EVOO on popcorn?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

GASP!
To my taste he's destroying the texture by grinding!!!!
If you take a small wooden cutting board and set it in a cake pan you can flatten a handful of oats at a time with a wooden mallet without making a mess.....I did that all the time when i was growing naked oats.
The texture is just like old fashioned rolled oats.

I do agree that soaking is a good idea.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Not "wrong" per se but way down the list of preferred fats for popcorn. It goes:

butter

neutral vegetable oil

margarine

dripping

mineral oil

baby oil

the burnt-up stuff you collect in a can to keep it from clogging your drain

motor oil

fat rendered from people who abuse extra virgin olive oil

extra virgin olive oil

• Like 8

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Not "wrong" per se but way down the list of preferred fats for popcorn. It goes:

butter

neutral vegetable oil

margarine

dripping

mineral oil

baby oil

the burnt-up stuff you collect in a can to keep it from clogging your drain

motor oil

fat rendered from people who abuse extra virgin olive oil

extra virgin olive oil

Where would you put duck fat?

This morning, to satisfy my curiosity about an aspect of making oatmeal, I discovered a series of You Tube videos under the general heading of "You're Doing it All Wrong." Here's the link to the oatmeal-making video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pT8IaxL6jtg in which the cook demonstrates how to make oatmeal from scratch, starting by grinding your own groats. It really doesn't look too difficult, and it might be a fun thing to try. If nothing else, I may have learned a thing or two about making and eating oatmeal.

When the video is over, as is often the case on You Tube, a number of other video choices appeared, including one about pan frying bacon which, to me, was very enlightening. There are videos about making fries, nachos, burgers, and more.

I don't know who all the cooks are, although the bacon guy is associated with Prather Ranch, a purveyor of high quality, grass fed meats found at numerous farmers markets and quality markets in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I guess he knows what he's talking about. When done, his bacon looked great. Gordon Ramsey looked to be in another video.

So, you might want to take a peek. Perhaps there's something to be enjoyed and maybe even learned.

Ah, those videos would be part of the mighty CHOW network, itself part of the even mightier CBS network. You can find some good videos under 'Obsessives' and 'Cooking with Grandma' and the hilarious 'Supertaster' at their website (chow . com/videos). Very good production values, as you may expect... Something of a competitor to this site, so I won't put in too many links.