• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

Well, found one fairly significant (IMHO) design flaw: The clamp doesn't fit properly on a 12x18x9 Cambro. Guess I'll have to notch the rim.

in what way doesn't it fit?

that WOULD be a fairly large error on their part, and a drag

Edited by weedy (log)

Well, found one fairly significant (IMHO) design flaw: The clamp doesn't fit properly on a 12x18x9 Cambro. Guess I'll have to notch the rim.

How is this an Anova "design flaw" or "large error"? Anova does not claim compatibility with this particular style Cambro.

FWIW, the Cambro 18CW135 works fine, as does the Cambro 12SFSCW135.

Monterey Bay area

Mine has made it as far as UK customs! Very excited.

Thankfully in Australia we have a $1,000 threshold for VAT, so stuff like this goes through customs fairly instantly. Mine made it from Texas, via Chicago and past Australian customs in 4 days. Hopefully it'll arrive at my door in the morning. (Monday)

Thankfully in Australia we have a $1,000 threshold for VAT, so stuff like this goes through customs fairly instantly. Mine made it from Texas, via Chicago and past Australian customs in 4 days. Hopefully it'll arrive at my door in the morning. (Monday)

What, no stopover in Chicago? It's going to be grumpy to have missed its holiday when it arrives ...

I christened mine over the weekend. Lovely machine! Very simple to use and very solid temperature control.

The main test was duck legs, 10 or so hours at 82°C. At this stage I'm just using a large stock pot covered with foil and I got reasonably significant evaporation by about six hours in, but that's manageable. A bin is a very-near-future purchase.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Sorry if it's impertinent to ask, but will you let us know the final price, all in when it gets to you.

London Boy here is GASing for a circulator this side of Christmas.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

What, no stopover in Chicago? It's going to be grumpy to have missed its holiday when it arrives ...

Yes no stopover in Chicago and now sitting in my office in Melbourne, looking very well.

Packaging held up pretty well, the smallest dents in the black anova box where it was crammed into the outside box, but who cares about that. The circulator itself is in perfect condition.

The temptation to take it to my office kitchen to try out is very hard to resist...

Yes no stopover in Chicago and now sitting in my office in Melbourne, looking very well.

Packaging held up pretty well, the smallest dents in the black anova box where it was crammed into the outside box, but who cares about that. The circulator itself is in perfect condition.

The temptation to take it to my office kitchen to try out is very hard to resist...

Remember what Oscar Wilde said about the best way to remove temptation.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

It fits a 12x18x9 without having to make a notch

I had tried it in the corner on the shirt side without luck. I'll try your positioning. Worst case scenario, I'll make a little shim or something.

Fwiw, for the top, I'm using a piece of Reflectix, cut about an inch larger than the rim, with a cutout for the circulator. Easy as hell, and works lie a charm.

On 11/25/2013 at 10:48 AM, onefeynman said:

What's the wait like for an Anova order to Canada? I deeply regret ordering the sansaire now that I have to wait till February...

I placed the order last Monday. Shipped on Friday. Estimated to arrive on Wednesday.

Not so enthralled with customer service, but I understand it's a smaller operation. Sent an e-mail last Tuesday, still haven't received a response. From reading through this thread, I'm not alone with that situation.

Edited by Morkai (log)

I live in Washington, D.C. I placed the order last Monday. Shipped on Friday. Estimated to arrive on Wednesday.

Not so enthralled with customer service, but I understand it's a smaller operation. Sent an e-mail last Tuesday, still haven't received a response. From reading through this thread, I'm not alone with that situation.

I'm in DC too! Well, more like Metro DC.

The best way to contact them is by phone. I've never had an issue getting through and talking with someone. If you have an issue or question, your best bet is calling them. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

Yeah, who would expect them to be real busy a week before Thanksgiving and 5 weeks before Christmas? :blink:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

How is this an Anova "design flaw" or "large error"? Anova does not claim compatibility with this particular style Cambro.

FWIW, the Cambro 18CW135 works fine, as does the Cambro 12SFSCW135.

It would be a "large error" because many, many people use Cambros for Sous Vide cooking and because that's amongst the most common sizes used.

No they didn't "claim compatibility".. what I said was it would be an error on their part if they hadn't THOUGHT about it at least.

that's all.

And it would be.

But apparently it works.

Mine is marked "shipped", so I should find out for myself in a few days, I reckon.

Has anyone had an issue with their Anova's screen? I just got my 220V model the other day, and it worked fine for a couple of days, but today I was using it to cook some eggs; I walked away and it turned blank (which I expected), but when I tapped the screen I saw this:

SadAnova.jpg

I turned the unit off, and now when I turn the Anova on, I just see a blank screen :( It seems to still respond to touches, but I can't see what I'm doing.

I've emailed them to ask about this - hopefully they can send me a replacement as I'd rather not wait for it to go to the US and back for repair :(

I saw something happen to mine the other day. I turned it on and had a blank white screen except for a small circle in the upper right corner of the screen, tapping the screen caused the circle to move... I wonder if somehow it was displaying an LCD calibration screen. Turning the unit off and on again returned the unit to normal. I made a photo of the screen, I will send it to Anova after the holiday,

Well I called Anova a little while ago - they agreed it was faulty and are sending me a replacement unit. So although it's a bit annoying to have it happen, I'm happy with how they're handling it. Hopefully it's not a widespread problem though - I certainly haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

I saw something happen to mine the other day. I turned it on and had a blank white screen except for a small circle in the upper right corner of the screen, tapping the screen caused the circle to move... I wonder if somehow it was displaying an LCD calibration screen. Turning the unit off and on again returned the unit to normal. I made a photo of the screen, I will send it to Anova after the holiday,

I posted about that earlier as it happened to me as I turned the unit on as I wiped the screen with a paper towel. I turned it off and back on and have had no problems because of it. Wouldn't worry about it but let me know if they get back to you about it.