• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

Monti, I'm not able to duplicate your conditions exactly, but got pretty close.  Cutting to the chase, I think your unit is okay.

So, an Anova One, not the PC.  Ten litres water, but in a stockpot (with cutout cover) not a Cambro.  Starting temp of the water was 65ºF (18.3ºC), as was ambient air temp.  Plugged the Anova into a watt meter, which read 875 to 900 watts throughout, but take that with a grain of salt as I've never figured out a reliable way to check its accuracy.  Took four minutes to cover the first ten degrees, i.e., to your start temp of 75ºF (23.9ºC).  From there, it was 34:40 minutes to 140ºF (60ºC), 1.875 degrees per minute.  Notably, consistent with haresfur's comment, it took two minutes to cover the last degree; if we take that out, the heating rate was 1.94 degrees per minute.  Incidentally, the time from 80ºF (26.7ºC) to 140ºF, i.e., that tested by Serious Eats, was 32:20.  And I did confirm final temp with a Thermapen.

Hope that helps.

If you're mathematically-inclined, a 120V 15A circuit can provide about 1800watts of power, which is equivalent to about 6000 BTUs per hour...

And you'll find few portable appliances like this that even draw 1800 watts, because most people have outlets on shared circuits. I think most of us would find it especially troubling if an immersion circulator threatened to blow a fuse. We like to leave these things running while we get on with our lives.

Granted, almost all the danger would be during the first hour when it's heating the water, but still ...

Notes from the underbelly