• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

2) Do you have preference for LCD display features or LED longevity or care more about overall design? 

Jeff, what can you tell us about LCD longevity issues? I wasn't aware of any. 

What have you encountered in your testing?

I like the looks of LCDs but would be bummed if something as solid-seeming as your circulator crapped out after a couple of years. I like to buy equipment with the expectation of more longevity than that. One of the things that attracts me to your unit is that it's designed to be easily maintained.

Along those lines, updateable firmware would be a huge selling point for me. 

Notes from the underbelly

I agree with Paul. I have no issues with the look of the display but would be bummed if the LCD didn't last for more than a few years.

One thing that bothers me is if I have to stop the program for any reason I lose my preset time that I entered.

As I'm in the process of developing new equipment with our team, I'd just like get the pulse of everyone in this forum about our usage of LCDs:

1) What do you really feel about the use of LCDs in our equipment? 

2) Do you have preference for LCD display features or LED longevity or care more about overall design? 

3) Do you think LCD screens out of place in a kitchen environment or on sous vide equipment?

1) I prefer LEDs. They are easily readable from across the room and I think they give the device a clean, modern look. (So far I've seen the Sansaire and the new Anova professional)

2) Longevity > design but I don't think it needs to be a choice

3) Not out of place but just redundant. Everyone has smartphones / tablets with better displays and more processing power. Give developers an API to connect to the anova wirelessly (WIFI).

Advantages:

- cheaper to produce. I'm not sure but I think LEDS + WIFI module is less expensive than implementing a display solution

- convenience: Users can monitor temperatures from anywhere in the house or even when they aren't home.

- better longevity

Edited by shamo42 (log)

1) LEDs are easily readable from across the room. I think they give the device a clean, modern look. (So far I've seen the Sansaire and the new Anova professional)

not having seen the new one, I can't comment, but it's ironic that LEDs are a much older tech than LCD, but they're more modern looking? ;)

and not everyone has a smart phone in their pocket in the kitchen. though, I'll admit a large %age most likely do.

I don't have one of these  ( yet ) so what do I know ?

i have 4 'coolers' I use for various SV projects, depending on the number of packs etc

the smaller on is  a coleman 9 quart.  Im guessing, but do not know, if the water flow might be to high for such a small cooler.

its for reheating jobs.

so  its possible that more than one speed on the flow rate might be helpful

as I said, I dont kmow and would not know how difficult this would be to add to the program.

As I'm in the process of developing new equipment with our team, I'd just like get the pulse of everyone in this forum about our usage of LCDs:

1) What do you really feel about the use of LCDs in our equipment? 

3) Do you think LCD screens out of place in a kitchen environment or on sous vide equipment?

I have been very happy with my purchase, and I have recommended to Anova to numerous friends and family members based on my experience. Thanks for your work on a wonderful device.

1.) I like the use of LCDs. Like many here, I agree that the potential of the LCD screen has gone largely untapped. The ability to create user temperature presets for different food types would be useful. The ability to switch between F/C without restarting the unit would be nice (some temperatures are easier to remember in one unit).

2.) Longevity is most important to me followed by feature set followed by design. That said, I am assuming based on previous research that I should expect the mechanical components to breakdown on an immersion circulator before the LCD. I would be disappointed if a malfunctioning LCD screen rendered an otherwise functional Anova out of commission outside the warranty period.

3.) I personally like the touch screen. I expect kitchen devices to increasingly incorporate this and other innovative features. If you were to get particularly ambitious, wireless connectivity and an app would be very cool. Being able to monitor the status of the bath would be great for those who are the paranoid sort. And for me, getting alerts when the cooking time was over or if something unexpected happened (for instance low water level shutoff or actual temperature dropping significantly from target temperature) would be great. The wireless approach would also simplify software updates (assuming you give users that option in the future). That might be overly ambitious, but I would find great value in it.

I hope the feedback is of use. And by all means if you need someone to beta test, it's a very tough job but I will reluctantly lend myself to the cause :).

Edited by mercury529 (log)

I'm going to add one other thing that may or may not be popular...

and that is that I think maintaining the $200 price point is crucial

Seconded. I've been evangelizing for sous vide for years, but now that there is a cheap and simple option (even 5 years ago when I built my first circulating bath, the choices were between spending over a grand or having an engineering degree), people I know are actually willing to try. A few years ago I was telling people this could be the future of cooking. Don't know if I was right, but the Anova, Nomiku (sp?), and Sansaire represent the first big transition, and price is a huge part of that. 

Mine's on the way. Can't wait.

Btw, I couldn't get a peep out of anyone at Anova about new product plans. The people at Studiokitchen are using something that may be a prototype ... it looks like Anova's $900 lab circulator model but with a polished metal finish.

She showed up tonight, went straight from the box into the water. Cooked some skate at 48C (I liked it, my gf wanted more cook). Some chuck steaks are in the tanke now at 55, Purring away in a lexan container covered with a blanket, until I can be like the cool kids and properly mod a cooler. Not sure exaclty what part of the chuck they're from, so unclear if they'll be ready tomorrow or Saturday.

Here's a thought: the packaging foam is high quality and nicely designed, as others have noticed. If someone could find a decent, reasonably priced piece of soft luggage that's the right size, we'd have an instant travel case. 

No interest in a travel case? The foam insert is about 16" x 9" x 4". 

After a quick search I found this. But I think some simple, soft luggage-style bag would be better.

How fragile is the Anova? I don't think it's a bad idea at all, however I don't know that I'd spend 25% of the Avona cost on a case. But then, in most scenarios I can imagine taking it somewhere, I'd just throw it on the passenger seat. 

How fragile is the Anova? I don't think it's a bad idea at all, however I don't know that I'd spend 25% of the Avona cost on a case. But then, in most scenarios I can imagine taking it somewhere, I'd just throw it on the passenger seat. 

I'm thinking all you'd need is an inexpensive case or bag that's about the right size for the foam insert. $50 is more than I'd like to spend (maybe not unreasonable if you travelled with it a lot, which I don't anticipate). But if we found something for $20 or $25?

3.5 inch depth

cutting it a bit too close by my reckoning.

The foam is about 16.5 by 9.5 by almost 4 inchs.  Oops - see someone else has already measured it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

After trying different containers for my anova, I found this. I must say it Works great

Now i live in Denmark, and i Can see the box is from Germany, but i suspect i will also be available in other places

Best regards

Bo

Sorry for the upside down pic

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Bubbipapa (log)