• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I finally ordered.  Twenty one day delivery time, same for all colors.  After much considereration I went with black.

With my luck, watch for a new model to be announced tomorrow.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You'll be happy whatever the colour, Jo (although I agree black is best). There may never be a new model. I think they got this one pretty well right.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

You'll be happy whatever the colour, Jo (although I agree black is best). There may never be a new model. I think they got this one pretty well right.

I finally ordered.  Twenty one day delivery time, same for all colors.  After much considereration I went with black.

With my luck, watch for a new model to be announced tomorrow.

my blue and red would tend to take umbrage at the discriminatory 'black is best', of course, as they say, it does go with everything.

I have no idea when they'll be coming out with a new one, but I sent in some ideas for what I thought were improvements, and got back a 'thanks' note, with the rather cryptic 'I can tell you that at least 2 of your suggestions are already implemented in a future design.'   of course, now, I'm itching to find out which of the ideas. ;)

Dammit - don't tell us that! We'll get all anticipatory. Or depressed, depending on our financial/geographical state and elapsed time since our purchase.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Today I received my circulator, it came without a manual. Does anyone have an Anova Manual in PDF format, or a link on the Anova website. I looked on the website to no avail and mailed them but have not yet received a response.

Maybe it matters that I received the European version.

Edited by Xinram (log)

Today I received my circulator, it came without a manual. Does anyone have an Anova Manual in PDF format, or a link on the Anova website. I looked on the website to no avail and mailed them but have not yet received a response.

Mine came on a thumb drive. Are you sure there isn't a thumb drive in the package?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After giving me a 21 day delivery time last night, anova just notified that my unit has already shipped.

The anticipated professional unit sure would be nice...though it might cost more than $199.

I don't think they are putting the user manual on a thumb drive these days.  The last unit I received had a paper manual.

Anova would likely send you a file if you asked.

Try this, Xinram.  It may not be the most recent version, but it will give you something to read while Anova's getting a 'proper' one to you.

My eG Foodblog

that's what I call under promising and over delivering ;)

The FedEx tracking that Anova sent yesterday shows the unit is about half way to me.  However the most recent email from Anova sent today says the unit will ship in ten days, as was stated when I placed the order (it didn't, it said 21 days).  I hope the person who wrote the order system is not the one who wrote the firmware.

The FedEx tracking that Anova sent yesterday shows the unit is about half way to me.  However the most recent email from Anova sent today says the unit will ship in ten days, as was stated when I placed the order (it didn't, it said 21 days).  I hope the person who wrote the order system is not the one who wrote the firmware.

*shakes head*

FedEx was supposed to have delivered the Anova today, so I stayed home to wait for it. Nothing came, no notice left. I went on the FedEx website and FedEx says no one was home. Hmm, I've been home all day so not to miss delivery. I'm beginning to think Anova does not exist.

Until I find a better container I am planning to use the Anova (if it ever comes) in a straight sided stock pot. Other than lack of insulation, is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Any ideas or encouragement?

I've used a stock pot with no problems.

FedEx is a disaster...they did that same thing to me several years ago on a very important delivery......long story short....it was delivered to me on a Saturday before Saturday delivery was standard.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

FedEx was supposed to have delivered the Anova today, so I stayed home to wait for it. Nothing came, no notice left. I went on the FedEx website and FedEx says no one was home. Hmm, I've been home all day so not to miss delivery. I'm beginning to think Anova does not exist.

Until I find a better container I am planning to use the Anova (if it ever comes) in a straight sided stock pot. Other than lack of insulation, is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Any ideas or encouragement?

sounds more like fedex doesn't exist....

a deep enough stock pot is fine, I wrapped a towel around the first things i was using till I got some reflectix and made a blanket for my carlisle food box.

towel around and some foil over the top, you'd be set. 

It was traditional, a month or three ago, for the Anovas to spend a few days taking in the sights of Chicago before moving on to their intended destination. Maybe Jo's is just enjoying itself.

I use a stock pot for my smaller cooks with my Anova (which is most of them). I stand it on a wooden chopping board so it doesn't lose ridiculous amounts of heat to my granite benchtop and put a couple of sheets of foil over the top, but I ignore the sides. Sure, I could wrap it in something to cut down heat loss from there too, but it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

My eG Foodblog