• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

I have a problem with my Anova (purchased back in October). The last few times I've used it, every now and then it will sound like metal banging against metal. I've never taken the thing apart, but normally turning it off and on again or moving it around a bit will fix it just fine.

Well, I cooked some tenderloin for about 5 hours a few days ago at 140F, and the middle was completely raw. Everything I've seen for tenderloin says about 2-3 hours should be enough for 1-2" thick loin, so I was confused by this.

I took out my thermapen and started seeing if it was a calibration issue. First temp I took was ten degrees shy of what the anova was saying. Then I started taking the temp in different spots. Sure enough, at the opposite corner of the cambro, it was off by 30 degrees.

Here's a video before I took anything apart. Notice the lack of water movement and the sound at startup (note: the metal on metal sound I have mentioned does not occur in this video)

http://youtu.be/2Km3rUSygb8

I also noticed that the water wasn't moving around as much, so I was wondering if the impeller had gone out on it. I took it apart and the impeller looked a bit bent almost. Also, some of the metal probes had a bit of rust on them. Finally, I know my area has hard water, but all the metal on the heating element was scaled a bit.

Here's a pic of how the impeller looks...

BfgZZChl.jpg

As you can see, it seems a bit off kilter as it were. I messed around with it and you can see where it has scraped against the metal. Right now it's working just fine, I've tested it twice and the temp matches perfectly and the water is circulating. However, i worry that the life of the impeller has been shortened somehow.

Anyone experience this before? Since it has a year long warranty and I'm located in Houston (I think the office is in Stafford, TX...fairly close by), I might try e-mailing them and trading it in before the warranty is up.

Second question-the scaling? Would it be safe to put some white vinegar/water in a cambro and have the Anova run for a bit in that?

first, when you start the anova in your video the first time, you can hear it 'clunk' as the impeller hits the frame, and it's *clearly* not circulating.

second, it's normal for the impeller to not be exactly centered in the hole.

thirdly, you should disassemble and clean the unit now and then.

fourthly, vinegar is fine, or a solution of CLR (recommended in the manual) to clean up the crud.

fifthly, the cambro isn't the best container, because the stepped sides cause the anova to push against them, which tends to push the bottom off center, and make it more likely that the impeller will rub (the scraping sounds you've heard, which are not normal.)

I suggest either putting a small wedge under the bottom lip of the anova clamp, or using a better container, I like the carlisle 1072407 12 qt, it's got straight sides, front and back, it's cheaper, and the lid is easier to cut a notch in than the cambro.

I have one of those cambros, and I took some sugru and made a mounting pad on the side to compensate for the step in the side, then I got the carlisle for my other anova unit, and i like it a lot better.

Here's a video before I took anything apart. Notice the lack of water movement and the sound at startup (note: the metal on metal sound I have mentioned does not occur in this video)

http://youtu.be/2Km3rUSygb8

As you can see, it seems a bit off kilter as it were. I messed around with it and you can see where it has scraped against the metal. Right now it's working just fine, I've tested it twice and the temp matches perfectly and the water is circulating. However, i worry that the life of the impeller has been shortened somehow.

Second question-the scaling? Would it be safe to put some white vinegar/water in a cambro and have the Anova run for a bit in that?

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips! I've only used it maybe 15 times so far, but I will heed your advice on cleaning it in the future-also I'll pick up some CLR.

As for that container, I'll have to see if a local restaurant supply store sells them-every online store wants just as much to ship it as they do to charge for the item itself! That or I'll try some Sugru like you suggested.

Thanks again! I e-mailed Anova-can't hurt to see what they have to say in re: to the extra wear on the motor.

first, when you start the anova in your video the first time, you can hear it 'clunk' as the impeller hits the frame, and it's *clearly* not circulating.

second, it's normal for the impeller to not be exactly centered in the hole.

thirdly, you should disassemble and clean the unit now and then.

fourthly, vinegar is fine, or a solution of CLR (recommended in the manual) to clean up the crud.

fifthly, the cambro isn't the best container, because the stepped sides cause the anova to push against them, which tends to push the bottom off center, and make it more likely that the impeller will rub (the scraping sounds you've heard, which are not normal.)

I suggest either putting a small wedge under the bottom lip of the anova clamp, or using a better container, I like the carlisle 1072407 12 qt, it's got straight sides, front and back, it's cheaper, and the lid is easier to cut a notch in than the cambro.

I have one of those cambros, and I took some sugru and made a mounting pad on the side to compensate for the step in the side, then I got the carlisle for my other anova unit, and i like it a lot better.

I got mine at acemart, looks like they've got four houston locations: http://www.acemart.com/store-locator

I haven't had my anovas as long as you have, but I've been using them quite a bit, two 24 hour cooks on one so far, and have had both going at once doing different things a few times. XgBgSoj.jpg

I also used the red one as a humidifier when it got quite cold up here a couple weeks ago, I put it in one of the 22liter long tubs, and set it on 175, and left the lid off and let it steam.

with the crappy water up here in plano (north of dallas) after 24 hours of working the evaporation, I took it apart and toothbrushed crap off the heating coil... by then amazon had delivered a steam vaporizer. :)

Thanks for the tips! I've only used it maybe 15 times so far, but I will heed your advice on cleaning it in the future-also I'll pick up some CLR.

As for that container, I'll have to see if a local restaurant supply store sells them-every online store wants just as much to ship it as they do to charge for the item itself! That or I'll try some Sugru like you suggested.

Thanks again! I e-mailed Anova-can't hurt to see what they have to say in re: to the extra wear on the motor.

Edited by SleeperService (log)

discoloration of the two water sensors (the shorter and longer straight rods) is normal, according to a post Jeff from anova made in the first anova thread here, it's a byproduct of the way the unit senses water level. Essentially they pull ions out of the water as a byproduct of sensing the water level. just wipe them off.

Nwin. if you have rust on the elements, take a photo and send it to Anova and ask what they suggest. I had some rust on the heating tubes, and they told me to send it back, and the replaced it with a new one for me.

Heard back from Anova first thing this morning-They answered my questions and sent me a return label stating that they wanted to make things right. Pretty great customer service! Also, sleeper, I stopped by the local acemart today and picked up the Carlisle 12 qt+lid. The lid was very simple to cut and it seems like it will work great. Thanks again!

is there clearance between the unit and the back wall, or is it resting against the back wall? in the carlisle, there's clearance, so the water flow is (presumably) better.

plus the carlisle is cheaper, and the lid is easier to notch out to fit. but, it's not worth throwing a cambro away for.

Edited by SleeperService (log)

Yes, I understand.

I was responding more to the few posts that said the 12qt Cambro "doesn't work"... very different than "I prefer..."

interestingly, I notice that the Anova is back on amazon.com, but at $349, even though it's still $199 on Anova's own site.

wonder why

Edited by weedy (log)

interestingly, I notice that the Anova is back on amazon.com, but at $349, even though it's still $199 on Anova's own site.

wonder why

because anybody can put anything on amazon for any price, just like on ebay, check the buying options: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GT753W8/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all%C2'> someone just trying to cash in.

I was responding more to the few posts that said the 12qt Cambro "doesn't work"... very different than "I prefer..."

the cambro "doesn't work as well..." as the carlisle. I've got both and use both.

to summarize again:

• the carlisle is less expensive than the cambro.
  • the carlisle has straight front and back sides which gives more clearance for the anova so it doesn't press against the back of the container, and might give slightly better waterflow by not having some of the inlets blocked by the back wall.
  • the carlisle has an easier to trim lid so that you can make a nice notch to fit the anova.

in my opinion ;)

wonder why

because anybody can put anything on amazon for any price, just like on ebay, check the buying options: someone just trying to cash in.

no, the 'seller' is listed as Anova... not a third party

I bought mine via Amazon, at the $199, months ago

the cambro "doesn't work as well..." as the carlisle. I've got both and use both.

to summarize again:

• the carlisle is less expensive than the cambro.
  • the carlisle has straight front and back sides which gives more clearance for the anova so it doesn't press against the back of the container, and might give slightly better waterflow by not having some of the inlets blocked by the back wall.
  • the carlisle has an easier to trim lid so that you can make a nice notch to fit the anova.

in my opinion ;)

I think we've covered this,

you clearly prefer the carlisle.

maybe it's even 'better' objectively, beyond just your opinion.

that's not the same as some other people saying "don't get the cambro because it doesn't work with the Anova'

it does.

that's all

mine's in the kitchen working right now <g>

Edited by weedy (log)

wonder why

because anybody can put anything on amazon for any price, just like on ebay, check the buying options: someone just trying to cash in.

no, the 'seller' is listed as Anova... not a third party

I bought mine via Amazon, at the $199, months ago

er, no, the main listing says "by anova", then "available from these sellers: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GT753W8/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&sr=8-1&qid=1392590341 and when you click on it, you see that christophermbruno is offering one for 349.99, and sifa is offering one for 450.

I stand corrected... interesting again

I bought mine, through Amazon, but directly sold from Anova

I did notice it was unavailable on Amazon after a while, so maybe they stopped selling through them

Edited by weedy (log)

and... looks like it's back!

bu at a (very) slight premium, (probably to offset amazon's fees to Anova)

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Immersion-Circulator-Black/dp/B00GT753W8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392967351&sr=8-1&keywords=anova+sous+vide

i think being on amazon is well worth it for most companies. (we're just getting on there with my food product)

Stats say a lot of people look there first for almost anything!

Hello,

I attach a photo which shows how to cope with the lid problem.

The red part is a thin flexible sushi mat cut to fit the neck (7 cm) and back -all measured with my calliper-, the green part is one of those flexible cutting boards. It works well.

For bigger rectangular containers you can find bigger size sushi mat here :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/DU-Rolling-Cut-Mat-Silicone-Sugarcraft-Fondant-Clay-Pastry-Icing-Cake-Tool-Pink-/321080908156?pt=Table_Linens&hash=item4ac1e9d97c

It is very easy to cut and if you leave lots hanging on the sides, it will stay in place.

Juste now I am making mi-cuit of salmon (I'd like also to call it confit of salmon) -brined in sugar + salt + water 45 minutes, then cooked at 40oC. As per the recipe on that site :

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit

I have terrific fun with my Anova, Guys ! :laugh:

Enjoy the weekend !

anova Lid.JPG

• Like 1

Very interesting!

Comes with a "free" Camwear container too.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!