• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

I sometimes use small wire cooling racks between packages stacked horizontally (and one resting on the container floor). Each rack has little feet that keeps the items separated by about 1/2", letting the water circulate easily around every pouch. Lots of fun playing with these configurations.

you may not need those wire racks. Ive never used them. and the water circulated around sufficiently for me. Ive been useing 'bubblers' so YMMV

with the Anova I think it would be less of a problem. once the bath + contents get to temp very little energy is added, especially if you use cover insulated coolers

this is for long preps. for short preps, ie salmon, it might matter.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I just like the idea of having unrestricted flow around the pouches.

Although in the photo of the cooler, I show positioning the pouches vertically, I prefer stacking the pouches horizontally, with some space between each pouch.

There's less chance of a portion of a larger pouch sticking out of the water, and I can use less water if desired.

Pretty much any configuration will work... just playing around with the options.

The bad news - as of yesterday, USPS said my Anova was still 'resting' in Chicago.

The good news - this was my desk when I arrived at work this morning:

Anova.jpg

(USPS now at least believes it's arrived in New Zealand and has passed through Customs. They haven't realised it's done all that, travelled from Auckland to Wellington and been delivered, but I won't hold it against them. It's taken seven days to get to me from Anova, which is possibly a record for anything I've had from the US.)

That is a beautiful unit, very well packaged. I unveiled it in front of a colleague who also has an interest in SV (he's probably going to inherit my rice cooker now) and the appreciative noises he made matched my own.

And my vote for World's Coolest Business Card goes to AnovaJeff - he included one in the package.

Now to get the circulator home and try a few things ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

As an update to my Anova, which I have used pretty much daily for the last few weeks -- the temperature is holding strong -- within .1 of my thermapen -- so that is great news to me. Actually it is usually dead on - I am really happy with this product overall. Tonight I am about to unbag some 24 hour chuck roast (removed and cooled last night) -- there are 72 hour short ribs in there right now for friday - and they will be joined by some 48 hour short ribs tonight for a side by side. Overall, a fantastic piece of equipment and holds a temp much better than my Sous Vide Supreme -- not to knock that - so many good meals out of that guy it is absurd.

That orange/brown thing is not a business card.... it's a fold out flash drive that contains the user manual. Once it's snapped shut, it's REALLY tricky to figure out how to open it to insert the tab into a usb slot.

I found a YouTube video that shows how to open this kind of card

Edited by alanz (log)

No, not that thing - I know what that is.

Jeff included his business card. I'm not sure if a photo would do it justice. It's plastic, mostly translucent, with all but the 'A' of Anova transparent (the A is orange) and the vital information in black. Jeff's job title is 'He Who Wears Many Hats'. Quite wonderful.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

I just placed an order for a second Anova unit. My bride (fortunately) decided that she liked the black body of the black unit more than she liked the white body of the red unit.

So, another black unit should be on the way shortly. We have a New Years Day open house at our place, and sous vide techniques will feature prominently in this years menu.

Having two (or more) unit will help us serve dishes that require different cooking/holding temperatures. We may even ask to borrow a friends submersible bubbling system for a third holding tank... can't have too many toys at one's fingertips.

Edited by alanz (log)

I am waiting for my sous vide supreme to die before I can buy another one. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon. I must say that the 24 Chuck Roast I had last night was absolutely perfect -- medium rare and held together ever so slightly -- texture, but so tender -- on par with filet.

I just placed an order for a second Anova unit. My bride (fortunately) decided that she liked the black body of the black unit more than she liked the white body of the red unit.

So, another black unit should be on the way shortly. We have a New Years Day open house at our place, and sous vide techniques will feature prominently in this years menu.

Having two (or more) unit will help us serve dishes that require different cooking/holding temperatures. We may even ask to borrow a friends submersible bubbling system for a third holding tank... can't have too many toys at one's fingertips.

No you can't! (say's the woman with an Anova, a Sous vide magic and a Nomiku)

Are international users supplying their own power cord?

No, mine came with an Australia/NZ style one. I suspect they add a cord with the appropriate plug for each destination.

But in any case, it's a standard computer-style connector at the Anova end. Such cords are common, and have been known to breed in captivity.

My eG Foodblog