• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Anova Jeff

[Moderator note: The original Anova Sous Vide Circulator topic reached the maximum size the eG servers handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 1)]

I had to post this because this is happening more and more often now :

If you drop your unit into water: Do not power it on!!!

We have industrial vacuum ovens that can dry things out in a flash and recover the unit - if you power on, the unit will short out - meaning you probably will be buying a new unit.

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added. (log)

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

Jeff,

Could you take a look at the cooking times/temperatures on the anovaculinary.com web site?

Particularly the section about eggs... Everything is at 134 degrees... Seems odd (possibly an ambitious copy/paste)

Thanks

Edited by alanz (log)

You have a 50/50 chance if you go the blow dryer route but I do not recommend it - if there is a water behind a microchip or in the motor you won't get it out.

Some guy also got creative and tried to vacuum seal the circulator and then hit it with a blow dryer - that is not quite the same as vac-oven because the bag is closed and the water recondenses as soon as the bag is open.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

Over the years, I've dropped my cell phone in a puddle of water twice. Both time I immediately took off the battery and sealed it in a ziplock covered with uncooked rice. Let the rice absorb water in the device for 48 hours undisturbed. It worked both time.

Maybe this could be done with a circulator that was dropped in water.

Edited by EMG (log)

So, I played with it today. I set it up in a cooler-- 22 measured Qts with a lid (custom cut for the Anova). I started with water @ 68F and set it to 140F. It took an hour and ten minutes (70 min = 72 degrees). So basically, at full capacity you can figure 1 minute per degree. Once there, it held it perfectly well. I would advise, though, getting your water closer to target through other means first (Boiling water + ice cubes, for example) and then letting the Anova maintain that temperature.

Got mine about a week ago and I absolutely love it. I'm so glad I found this product (from this thread, btw) as I was right on the verge of making another choice. The unit is great -- easy to use, accurate temperature control -- and at this price, wow. I will probably get a second unit at some point. Also, I should mention, they have stellar customer service!

My query was only three days ago too, but as it was on the expected delivery date for my order, I'd hoped for a quicker response. I guess I'm too used to the amazon's of the world and the instant notification of when the delivery will be arriving.

I wish I could say I loved mine. I registered to provide feedback. I originally ordered my anova circulator after having placed an order for the polyscience creative and subsequently realizing there was a cheaper model out there. When I got my anova circulator, I was excited and couldn't wait to try it. Unfortunately, it wasn't accurate to my thermapen. At 130f it was 0.5f too low. At 150f, it was 2.0-1.2 too low. As an experiment, I ran it back to back with the polyscience and the polyscience kept it within 0.2f no matter the temp

Jeff suggested that their design necessitated foiling the top of the cover. While i find this an inherent design flaw given that polyscience doesn't require this I tried that. This time the anova circulator was 0.5f too High while the polyscience was dead on within 0.1f. Which one of these is not like the other?

I offered to provide a video to anova and offer to do the same here since I'm a newb to prove I'm not trolling or flaming. I really want this to work since it's $100 cheaper but it seems you get what you pay for.

My V1 Anova was off by a few degrees (must have been that miscalibrated batch), the V2 matches my other digital thermometers (ThermaPen and Fluke). It was a free upgrade for me, and it might be something to consider.

I just got mine so I think it's a v2. Either way, the error isn't consistent. Some times it's low, some times high. So far I've noticed a spread of up to 2.7 degrees front target temp which Just doesn't work for me. I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get something that actually works. I'm not looking to knock anova, if they can replace it with a unit that consistently performs welll, then GREAT but this one just doesn't.

I just got mine so I think it's a v2. Either way, the error isn't consistent. Some times it's low, some times high. So far I've noticed a spread of up to 2.7 degrees front target temp which Just doesn't work for me. I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get something that actually works. I'm not looking to knock anova, if they can replace it with a unit that consistently performs welll, then GREAT but this one just doesn't.

Must be defective. Mine is rock steady

Well, I've arranged for a return with anova. They've agreed to waive return shipping costs (don't know why that had to be a special exemption) but won't refund me the initial shipping. Overall, I have to say I'm disappointed with my experience. I took a chance on a relatively new and upcoming product, spent time troubleshooting it, and when it turns out to be defective, I'm out the shipping costs? I offered to send anova videos of the issues I was having and comparing it to the polyscience creative.

If you rally want to build a customer base, why is the message, buy our product and if it doesn't work, you're out at least $20-$40?

Edited by BlueDevilSV (log)

The list of countries that the Anova 220 is being shipped to, seems to have been expanded. It'd still be interesting to hear if the $69.99 includes a provision for taxes and duties - but to fair, I doubt it. From what I've been able to figure out, EU import duties for electronics are 19%, with VAT at 21% here - which would push the net price for an Anova from EUR 200 (USD 269) including shipping to EUR 280 (USD 377) after taxes. That does hurt the budget-friendly proposition quite a bit: :(

Are they sending you a replacement?

That wasn't offered although in fairness to them, I had requested a return in my email. I've emailed them back and clarified that I'd be happy to do an exchange if they can send me a properly working unit. We'll see what they say