• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Chèvres

Patrice

Vegetables will also have their place on the desserts menu.

Some vegetables, like carrots and corn already contains a lot of sugar and can easily be use in desserts. Other vegetables, like fennel and celery, have a flavor that is complementary to dessert ( chocolate and fennel, apple and celery)

There's also some vegetables that are already used as a fruit (rhubarb) and finally, there's some fruits that are mostly used as vegetables ( tomato).

Vegetables in desserts are still challenging for a lot of people. This is why I will try to introduce them on the degustation menu, where each guest will receive 3 desserts.

Sometimes, the degustation menu will be built on a particular theme ( ex: corn) In this case, the first dessert, to continue with the theme, could involve a corn-meal financier, with corn ice cream and caramelized pop-corn...

Patrice Demers

Along the same lines Stelio, will any appetizers be meat or fish based or will the menu bypass the salmon/tuna tartar and foie gras that every restaurant seems to have these days (not that they're bad, in fact I love both when well done)?
Patrice and i are quite fed up with the tartar thing so if we do feature one it will most probably be of a vegetable. My understanding of a diner`s ritual when he goes for a meal is that he will more likely take chances on the app. course coming back to something that he`s more comfortable with for the main; somebody who has never eaten sweetbreads might try them on his first couse.If he doesn`t like them, he`ll eat more on the next course but it doesn`t work the other way around. You may ruin your night. So all the apps. will only feature vegetables, it will be a great introduction to what our concept is about.

On the foie gras situation, it will be served only when i feel the quality is great. I believe there are seasons where we shouldn`t serve it; it doesn`t sear right and it loses too much fat. Not to mention the taste.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just reading this... very good news. I am an organic producer myslef (for my own kitchen) However, I do have some special vegetables that even some of the best folks in quebec cannot produce, two color alaska melon, Montreal melon and many rare tomatoe heirloom. I am very happy to hear about this new spot.

I think a very good proposition would be to have a seasonal based menu. It would be very difficult to offer tomatoe, cucumber type ingredient in the winter. My kitchen's winter menues mostly trun around choux, ratabaga, petit navet, yellow carrots, salad, beets, celeri rave and others. It would be very nice to have a clear broth, clear produce approach such has Cube has with the seafood... I like that stuff. Guru, this should'nt be a suprise since this is pretty much how the menu travels at Lemeac... but there is plenty of meat there.

Quick question for you ? Will you bring the smoker with you ? The saumon fume is very good but I am very curious to find out if you also actually smoke the hareng on site ?

Welcome Identifiler

It's always very exciting to hear of people like you who have a passion for heirloom vegetables and fruits. I haven't tasted the melon Montreal but I heard great thing about it... :wink:

Our menu will be very seasonal ( read: constatly changing, with the seasons and the availability of products.

The smoker will stay at Leméac...I don't know what smoked vegetables would taste? :hmmm::laugh:

The hareng isn't smoke at Leméac, but I will find from where it come.

Patrice Demers

Hey Patrice, it was the lunar (chinese) new year last week, and I learned that this year is the year of the GOAT!!! :biggrin: and, just wondering, in which year were you born? 'cuz if it is '79 like me, then you're a child of the year of the goat, too... and were you aware of this?

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

yeah. totally. drugs are bad, mmkay?

GRR!!! who are you?!?!?! :biggrin:

i know in french, it is the year of the chevre. at least that's what my extended vietnamese family tells me.

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry Marlene,

You're a year behind  :smile:  Year of the horse was last year. This Year is year of the Ram or Goat depending where you're from in China.  :smile:

oops. :wub:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene,

I really like your Hamster icon, he's sooo kiout!!!!!  :smile:

they like me, they really like me! :biggrin:

thanks!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 month later...

Tonight ( April 14th) Les Chèvres are finally opening!!!

We will be open for customers on wednesday ( April 16th). For a week and a half, we will be open for dinner only and, after, we will be open 6 nights and 5 days. ( close for lunch on saturday and sunday all day).

Patrice Demers

Congratulations and good luck of course. Patrice or Stelio if there's any chance you have some time (very doubtful I realize) I'd love it if you could post the menu or some of it at least. More likely I'll be in before you get a chance to do that though... :biggrin:

Edit to say that I've already heard some buzz about Les Chevres from people who aren't usually very big foodies yet they knew about you guys and about the Opening Soon show, etc. So that should be a good omen.

Edited by Chazzy (log)

Tonight ( April 14th) Les Chèvres are finally opening!!!

We will be open for customers on wednesday ( April 16th).  For a week and a half, we will be open for dinner only and, after, we will be open 6 nights and 5 days. ( close for lunch on saturday and sunday all day).

Glad to hear you've finally made it. Good luck. Bonne Chance. I can't say when I'll get back to Montreal again, but I certain have greater reason to try now.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.