• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Chèvres

Patrice

Dined out at Les Chevres a few weeks ago. Chose the tasting menu and was not particularly thrilled. My complaint is more with the texture of each dish or rather LACK OF. The first three courses were all moussy/puree variations, including a particularly dull mushroom flan. No outstanding flavors.

The somellier was slow, he totally missed one course he was planning to pair with a white burgundy. (This really ticked me off because it was the one wine we were really looking forward to ,'Jean de la Vigne'2001, Domaine Cordier). He did apologize and managed to serve us the burgundy later on.

The cheese course that was offered was a spin on a grilled cheese sandwich. Personally, with all those wonderful cheeses on display, I really would have preferred a simple cheese plate to finish.

I really want to like this place but its just not working for me. Anyone else feel this way? :unsure:

Not me.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Dined out at Les Chevres a few weeks ago. Chose the tasting menu and was not particularly thrilled. My complaint is more with the texture of each dish or rather LACK OF. The first three courses were all moussy/puree variations, including a particularly dull mushroom flan. No outstanding flavors.

The somellier was slow, he totally missed one course he was planning to pair with a white burgundy. (This really ticked me off because it was the one wine we were really looking forward to ,'Jean de la Vigne'2001, Domaine Cordier). He did apologize and managed to serve us the burgundy later on.

The cheese course that was offered was a spin on a grilled cheese sandwich. Personally, with all those wonderful cheeses on display, I really would have preferred a simple cheese plate to finish.

I really want to like this place but its just not working for me. Anyone else feel this way? :unsure:

My experience there last spring was wonderful with great presentation, variety of textures and flavors and superb service. I am disappointed to hear of your experience and hope it is not indicative of a falling off. I found their cuisine to be different, delicious and exciting.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm going there this Thursday night, 24 hour before a once in a lifetime 5 weeks vacation. This is to basically start the holidays.

Looks like the table has voted for the tasting mneu, however it is not the wild mushroom tasting menu anymore. Anyone know what we will get this month ? I'm guessing a root veggie theme ?

My expctations are pretty high since we haven't been back since the opening month, hopefully the service will be better (that was a one off for sure) and the food just as good as it was.

I'll try to report back if I ever open my laptop again...

OK this is what I remember

9 courses:

Intro amuse bouche, green apple spinach and maybe a dab of garlic.

1- Presented in an egg shell as in a shooter, Toffu, warm egg yolk, salted truffle caramel.

This is a real power house, it sets the course for sure.

2- Beet juice marinated rabiole in a carpacio, micro fennel and truffles beet vinaigrette, miniature haricots.

Nicely done, the micro fennel have that earthy flavor, this dish definitely requires every ingredient per bites to get to it's full potential.

3- Three fake celeriac ravioli with an inside of truffle puree, green celeri and pineapple mousse

Excellent combination. Very ecclectic, all tatsebuds are demanded on this one.

4- asian truiffle tortolini with caramelised onion broth.

5- Tagliatel of salsify with Alba truffle butter

The last two plates are excellent however, it was at this point that I would say that my only comment on the evening is that I might have expected the last two plates to get even stronger, was hoping for something sharp with maybe either asian/indian influences, but truffle is subtle I guess.

6- Truffle parmesan fondue

7- Pre dessert, roasted pinapple, sour cream coconut and apple grenadine in truffle oil.

The desserts have as much devotion at Chevres than any other course, it's like seeing a great sequel to a movie, the fun starts over again.

8- Small olive oil and datte cup cake, marmelade of clementine and truffle and safran vanilla ice cream

9- Jivara chocolate creme with caramelised banana, pecan, mild truffle froth.

I have had this before from the main menu, rich, woooof.

Drank Arbois white 1989, the whole way, bio-dynamic organic wine, very mineral. Not an easy menu to pair with and could have easily gone with champane or bubbly the whole way but my guests weren't into it.

840$ whole in my pocket for 4.

Service was impeccable, excellent. I could have rolled naked on that cheeze table but everyone was stuffed. My liver is in fifth gear this morning. One comment and I expressed that yesterday but got a poor excuse: It's a crime to be serving Fidji flat water when you can put the best terroir product on the table, Esker water, the best water on earth... brewed right here in Quebec. But I guess the nice square bottle holders only fit the fidji format (square). Esker should make a "designer" bottle to get more visibility.

I believe there is a new sommelier now (where did the other one go ?). The sommelier yesterday was really nice and did a fine job, he was especially usefull when we told him that we were so wiped out that we didn't feel like making any choices, he made it easy for us by zoning in on something everyone agreed.

Nitpicking: there a big gash of light coming out of the wall under patrice's laboratory window, the panels didn't glue together... a simple caulking joint fixes that.

I believe there is a new sommelier now (where did the other one go ?)

I believe he's gone to France. He had spent some time in Burgundy previously

and it looks like he really enjoyed it :smile:

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Nice descriptions, Identifiler. I wish I could get up there to try it for myself. This, however, was the next best thing.

I liked the original sommalier. He treated us well with some nice pairings when we were there.

Twitter - @docsconz

a few precisions on the truffle menu which i ate last night:

the predessert was not in truffle oil. it was a fruit salad crumble, topped with coconut whipped cream. pineapple, mango, pommegrenade.

the dessert number one was indeed the olive oil financier, but the marmalade was not truffled. this plate was one of big contrasts. quite a bitter marmalade, and a sweet cake. warm and cold; cake and ice cream. delicious.

and i like id's description of the cheese course:

truffle parmesan fondue.

my friend and i ate this one without saying a word. words are not necessary sometimes, they get in the way.

my favorite dishes were the "fake" ravioli, which was very playful. the salsify and truffle, playful again; i soaked up every bit of truffle butter i could with my bread.

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

• 1 year later...

(bumping the old topic ... )

Just comming home from what I can tell was one of my greatest dining moment in my short life ...

From A to Z ...

from the gorgeous-ness of the waiting staff to the excellent cheese platter ( I had a Tome and a chevre ( duh ) ) to the small mise-en-bouche ( a "potage" of something with vanilla and parsnip mousse ( I can't recall ) to the small sweet bites with the wonderfull red tea.

I had the "Champignons" as the first course ( crispy poached egg with trompe-la-mort mushrooms ) and the "Noix the Cerfs" ( with parlsey roots and a nice and surprising chocolat mousse ); the desert was the honey cake with carrot ice-cream and coconut ice cream with pineapple ...

( wine was by the glass ... and was selected by the staff ... very good )

EXCELLENT ....

next time will try the Chou, which looks more like my kind of ambience ...

• 1 year later...

I am very sad to have heard that Les Chevres will be closing. I understand that stelios will be heading to Cube. What of Patrice? Can anyone dissect what happened?

Twitter - @docsconz

I am very sad to have heard that Les Chevres will be closing. I understand that stelios will be heading to Cube. What of Patrice? Can anyone dissect what happened?

I am very confused to see all these things said about me. I have never met anyone from the cube administration and was never approached in any manner by that restaurant. I have heard that rumor before and i can confirm that it isn't true. I really wonder where it comes from... You can still find me every night at Les Chèvres.

Stelio Perombelon

Still Cheffff

Les Chèvres

I am very confused to see all these things said about me. I have never met anyone from the cube administration and was never approached in any manner by that restaurant. I have heard that rumor before and i can confirm that it isn't true. I really wonder where it comes from... You can still find me every night at Les Chèvres.

Stelio Perombelon

Still Cheffff

Les Chèvres

Way to set the record straight Chef!

Stelio Perombelon

Still Cheffff

Les Chèvres

Excellent news!

Twitter - @docsconz

I apologize for any part I may have played in spreading the rumor that I saw here. I am quite pleased that it is just a rumor though as Les Chevres is IMO one of the more interesting restaurants around and though it has been too long since my last visit to Montreal, Les Chevres remains on my short list of restaurants to return to.

BTW, what has been happening at Les Chevres lately? Has the food evolved since the restaurant's opening? Ifso, how? I see that Stelio is still there. I trust Patrice is as well?

Twitter - @docsconz

I've seen this sort of thing happen before in online forums and I think it's such a careless and dangerous act (unwittingly spreading false rumours). I would say that before anyone writes "I heard" they should do some research and make sure they can back it up with hard evidence.