• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Chèvres

Patrice

I very proud to tell you that my restaurant: Les Chèvres, Le bonheur est dans le potager, will finally open somewhere in the begining of March...

We just signed today for the lease. It will be at the 1201 Van Horne ( in the space previously owned by Ouzeri Mykonos)

The place is already really great and I saw last week what our designer will do and :shock::smile:

We are also very proud of having one of Montreal's best chef with us.( I can't tell you his name right now but there's already some rumors... :wink: )

Patrice Demers

Wow Patrice great news...that's an up-and-coming neighborhood, and right near Chistophe! I was sorry to see Mykonos go though. :sad:

I look forward to such interesting restaurant openings this year. 2002 was a bit disappointing.

Let me guess about the chef...is he the fellow whose name was misspelt in a recently published French restaurant guide.

Hee Hee :biggrin:

Congratulations, Patrice. Please keep us posted.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Congratulations! My hubby's business will take him to Montreal frquently this coming year, so hopefully, we can visit.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Patrice: Excellent! I will recommend it to my Ottawa/St. Sauveur relatives. If you can find the time during an Opening (whew!) keep us informed, send us a menu, etc.

Mykonos is gone? :sad: I've had fun there.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The name...

Les Chèvres will serve a LOT of vegetables. There will be some fish and meat but, the main part of the menu will be vegetables. And, like we all know...goat eat salad :laugh:

Goat cheese will also always have a place on our menu.

Patrice Demers

Patrice, that's very interesting. Could you tell us more?

It would be wonderful if you could post about some of your proposed menus.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

HI everyone,

people on this site know me as GURU but my real name is STELIO PEROMBELON and i've been cooking in Montreal for a while.

I've been working for LEMEAC for the past two years(though the place has been opened since november 2001). I was the chef at LES CAPICES DE NICOLAS from 1999 to 2001 and had worked with NICOLAS JONGLEUX himself before that.

I am very proud to announce that "I" will be the chef and a partner of PATRICE DEMERS and mr. CLAUDE BEAUSOLEIL in the LES CHÈVRES adventure.

I`m sure that some of you are not surprised for a lot of rumors have been circulating about my move from LEMEAC.Lesley had guessed right by saying that the future chef had his name mispelled in a recent restaurant guide (voir).

Montreal has become a great food city and i think that people are more and more conscious about what they eat. This project is right on time. :smile:

Bravo, Guru! May you and Patrice and your line and your FOH have great success.

And as a transplanted Montrealaise, I know how great a food city it is, and miss it.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I suspected it was you Stelio, that would join Les Chevres as head chef. Will there be a replacement for you at Le Lemeac, or will co-head chef Richard Bastien take over full responsibities? Good luck at Les Chevres.

------------------

Steve

hey stelio! (guru!)

hope it all goes well, with you and patrice there, when are you expecting to open? is it still around early march? (around my birthday!) i was hoping to get back to leméac with my wife to eat before you left, but she will be leaving for the great white north on monday for three weeks... no chance you will still be there in a month still? keep cool, man... and who knows, pat might be back in the neighborhood around that time, i think he is doing some touring with charlie haden in the north east states around then... keep your fingers crossed.

joey

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I will still be at Lemeac until the end of february. As for replacement, nobody as been named but there will be another chef de cuisine(mr. Bastien has so much going on in the other places).

Les Chèvres's primarly focus will be on vegetables though some meats will be served; one on the menu and others on daily specials.We will try to work with the best quality available and ultimately organic meats/local.There will also be fish every night.

The first part of the menu(apps.)will be based on what i call Études of a product or a theme for example for beets you might have a Chioggia beet and apple terrine in a borsht jelly with beet juice and cider vinaigrette.

The second part(mains) will be compositions so we will see how the vegs. interact when together.

It is important to say that if a mushroom ragoût needs some duck jus to be at its best, then it will added and said.

Need i tell you that i am so thrilled and that i feel like i am returning to what i was doing before. Hope you like it. :smile:

Along the same lines Stelio, will any appetizers be meat or fish based or will the menu bypass the salmon/tuna tartar and foie gras that every restaurant seems to have these days (not that they're bad, in fact I love both when well done)?

Cabrales-I really think vegetables are the most underestimated ingredients. They really offer a wide range of flavors and textures. Here in Québec, we are lucky to have some really great vegetable producers. One of them, Mr. Daigneault, produce some incredible vegetables year around.

There's also a lot of people, vegetarian or not, who are now looking for a more vegetables base alimentation.

Cheeses, fruits, grains and nuts will also have a very important place on our menu.

I'm sure Stelio, as a chef, will be able to explain, better than me, his motivations and his approach toward vegetables.

Chazzy- all the appetizers will be made of vegetables. No meat or fish ( except maybe meat jus, some lardons...)

There's also a lot a chance that a foie gras find its way in our menu... :wink:

Patrice Demers

Patrice, would I be right in assuming that you will also be incorporating vegetables into your desserts as I know you have taught/spoke on this subject in the past? If so, could you possibly give a couple of examples of this (though not necessarily ones that will be featured at Les Chevres)? Thanks...