• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Chèvres

Patrice

Maybe  the rule should be:  If you read it on egullet it is not necessarily fact.

If you want to know the truth watch TV.

One should always be skeptical of any source whether it be a member of the eGullet Society or "on tv" or even a newspaper. (Actually, tv is one of the last places I would go for "the truth.") It would help that if the first person posting a "rumor" either confirmed it prior to posting or clearly labeled it a as a rumor. In your defense you did say "I heard," but unfortunately someone else appeared to back it up. I am sorry that I took your rumor at face value rather than questioning it more closely. The nice thing about the Egullet Forums though is that Stelio was able to come on and personally refute it. The bottom line is that I am glad that Les Chevres is still going strong. I found it in my experience to be one of he most unique and delicious restaurants in Montreal.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Well, Amy, I've also picked up on a lot of other bits of restaurant news on this site, that turend out to be true.

For instance, the first "I heard" of Les Halles closing was on eGullet. So you know, you take the good with the bad, sort through the sources, call the people involved for confirmation and then you have a story. Be it the milkman or an anonymous poster on eGullet, rumours will always be rife in this business.

While that is true, I think when noted restaurant critics in the city say "that's too bad" it almost goes towards confirming the rumour. Of course we must take all with a grain of salt, but I'd hate to see a great restaurant's business affected because of a false rumour. It works the other way too, bien sur, and many rumours later turn out to be true. But I think people should err on the side of caution.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was in New York recently, and heard from two chefs who are actually coming to the Highlights festival (prefer not to name them) that Les Chèvres is indeed closing. So... if this is a false rumor, why do I keep hearing it wherever I go? I even heard the place is for sale and will be closed by March.

Puzzling...

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

Well, I was in New York recently, and heard from two chefs who are actually coming to the Highlights festival  (prefer not to name them) that Les Chèvres is indeed closing. So... if this is a false rumor, why do I keep hearing it wherever I go? I even heard the place is for sale and will be closed by March.

Puzzling...

Our financial problems have already made the news earlier this year. Do you have anything to add. I hear things on other restaurants everyday and i try to ignore them. I am very sad when somebody else is in trouble. To risk your own money, your health and your family is a very big thing. People tend to forget about it. Sometimes we are treated as if we were playing the country's war budget. We are only cooking food.You should know, you own a business too. May be it's time you give me a phone call and see what i think of your statement.As a food writer a i always thought that you would get to the source before putting out a news.

Stelio

I've also picked up on a lot of other bits of restaurant news on this site, that turend out to be true.

For instance, the first "I heard" of Les Halles closing was on eGullet. So you know, you take the good with the bad, sort through the sources, call the people involved for confirmation and then you have a story. Be it the milkman or an anonymous poster on eGullet, rumours will always be rife in this business.

Stelio,

I agree with Lesley on this one (please read her quote above): eGullet is not a magazine or a newspaper, it is a forum where people interested in food discuss ideas, restaurants and yes, rumours. I've read a million things here that given me ideas for my articles - but before publishing anything, I went to the source, I interviewed the chef in question, did research.

When I sign an article, I am "putting out news", as you say. When I share with fellow foodies some information on a food forum, I am not "putting out news", I am just chatting online with people that are as interested as myself in what's being discussed. Please don't confuse what you read on eGullet (which may be true or false or mere speculation, as in this case) with what you read in a reputable publication (which is almost always verified truth). And I made it clear I didn't know the truth, but only heard rumours. From two good sources, I might add.

Last but not least, I don't own any business. You might be referring to the inn and restaurant that my husband's parents own. It is certainly not mine.

A.

Edited by AlexForbes (log)

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

• 5 weeks later...

I would rather that it was wrong. Good luck and best wishes to Stelio, Patrice and the others in future endeavors.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

That is unbelievably sad. :sad:

And my .02$ on the restaurant rumours thing is that there are certain people [...redacted...] who seem to take a perverse *pleasure* in reporting that much-loved spots are to close.

This is loathsome and makes me feel sick, someone taking glee in another's misery. This is livelihoods and reputations and life savings we're talking about... :angry:

[Post redacted to avoid causing discomfort to certain people.]

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Seems to be the case.

Anyhow, look, it was just a restaurant and the two talented chefs who made this a superb restaurant are still alive and well and let's hope ready to take on new projects.

We will taste their food again! So good luck to Stelio, Patrice and all involved.

If the restaurant has indeed closed for good (let's keep in mind we do not yet have a rock solid source on this one), well then we can only hope that a new venture for these talented chefs is just around the corner.

I was sad when Claude Pelletier and Hubert Marsolais left Cube, and just look what came of it: Le Club Chasse et Peche. Not too shabby. :wink:

Seems to be the case.

Anyhow, look, it was just a restaurant and the two talented chefs who made this a superb restaurant are still alive and well and let's hope ready to take on new projects.

We will taste their food again! So good luck to Stelio, Patrice and all involved.

If the restaurant has indeed closed for good (let's keep in mind we do not yet have a rock solid source on this one), well then we can only hope that a new venture for these talented chefs is just around the corner.

I was sad when Claude Pelletier and Hubert Marsolais left Cube, and just look what came of it: Le Club Chasse et Peche. Not too shabby.  :wink:

Nice perspective.

Twitter - @docsconz

It's especially sad to see that the tables are still set.

I always think it's a shame when restaurants close without giving a heads up first. I would have given people a last chance to try out the restaurant before it closed, or regulars the opportunity to say au revoir.

Anyone read Chartier's article in La Presse this morning? It seemed that Les Chèvres was still open while reading it. Or maybe he just wrote it a while ago.

By the way, the tone of this article was really bad, it was VERY pompous and condecendent. Nobody is gonna get anyone to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars in our best gastronomic restaurants by telling them they are poor and cheap. I really didn't like this guy in the first place, but he really took a step downwards.

Food culture is something you need to develope and a lot of people here are working hard on doing this (I think of all our restaurant critics who do an awsome job). It is not something you can force down someone's throat.

I think Montreal's restaurant scene is thriving. I alaways see full restaurants everywere , even very expensive one's. People apreciate good food and dine out often. I guess there is much competition in restaurants and Montreal is not a very rich city, the prices are low, and so are profit margins.

Les Chèvre's closing is certainly very sad, but you can't blame the people for not buying. Maybe one of Les Chèvre's problem was it's location? For one of the most expensive restaurants in Montreal, Van Horne is quite an ungly street.

I know I do my part for Montreal's restaurants. But spending 300$ for a meal for 2 is just not something I can do very often... I am just sad I coudn't spend one of those at Les Chèvres before it close.

Edited by Pielle (log)

Let us not forget that one of the most successful restaurants in Montreal was Chez Bardet, and that was in the middle of nowhere. So I'm not sure I buy the bad location argument.

I'm just not sure the latest restaurant-going generation cares much for innovation, and innovation is an important facet of fine dining. Les Chevres was an innovative restaurant. Not El Bulli, granted, but certainly modern.

What we're seeing now is the never ending rise of the bistro, where portions are large, the ambiance is all buzz, the fries are crisp and the grilled salmon is diet-friendly.

Let us not forget that one of the most successful restaurants in Montreal was Chez Bardet, and that was in the middle of nowhere. So I'm not sure I buy the bad location argument.

I'm just not sure the latest restaurant-going generation cares much for innovation, and innovation is an important facet of fine dining. Les Chevres was an innovative restaurant. Not El Bulli, granted, but certainly modern.

What we're seeing now is the never ending rise of the bistro, where portions are large, the ambiance is all buzz, the fries are crisp and the grilled salmon is diet-friendly.

As someone who occasionally travels to Montreal for dining amongst other things, I think location may have been a factor in its demise. It was out of the way for all but the most dedicated visitors and was probably too innovative for a neighborhood place. The quality of Montreal's dining scene is too good nowadays and there is too much competition for tourists' dining dollars. If it were in Old Montreal or at least closer to downtown on the other side of the Mont, it may very well have been more successful. Of course this is easy to say in retrospect. :sad:

Twitter - @docsconz