• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Shakers - What to buy?

Shel_B

Since it appears, to my great amusement, that we're actually discussing salt shakers, I'm just going to add my personal preferred salt shaker approach.

I entertain a lot, and frequently those events are parties with some sort of a theme honoring friends for one reason or another. Often said friends are leaving the area, either on work relocations, or for vacation. Years ago, I discovered that collecting salt & pepper shakers was a sort of fun and inexpensive hobby. So my dinner table usually features a set of salt and pepper shakers that coincide with the theme.

For example, about a month ago, gave a small dinner party in honor of some close friends that had just bought a condo in Cancun, and were on their way down there to enjoy it for the first time.

Sitting proudly on the table were these two:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tourists-Salt-Pepper-Shakers/dp/B001YKBE50

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Since it appears, to my great amusement, that we're actually discussing salt shakers, I'm just going to add my personal preferred salt shaker approach.

I entertain a lot, and frequently those events are parties with some sort of a theme honoring friends for one reason or another. Often said friends are leaving the area, either on work relocations, or for vacation. Years ago, I discovered that collecting salt & pepper shakers was a sort of fun and inexpensive hobby. So my dinner table usually features a set of salt and pepper shakers that coincide with the theme.

For example, about a month ago, gave a small dinner party in honor of some close friends that had just bought a condo in Cancun, and were on their way down there to enjoy it for the first time.

Sitting proudly on the table were these two:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tourists-Salt-Pepper-Shakers/dp/B001YKBE50

:cool:

Nice anecdote. Don't get me started collecting things .. I saw those shakers and started feeling the urge :unsure:

• Like 1

... Shel

Yes off-topic.

You can also consider a fun and interesting way to salt your food.

Get a nice block of Himalayan pink salt block, either drag you food over it or scrape some with a knife over your food.

dcarch

I actually have one of those. Came with its own grater. Pretty cute. And a real chat-starter at the table.

http://www.amazon.com/Himalania-Cube-Salt-Stainless-11-Ounce/dp/B0025ZLQPQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

ETA: This was actually a gift from my DIL. A great idea for the chef that has everything. So, if you have one on your list, what with the various holidays approaching...

Just saying.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Buy your salt in disposable salt shakers.

Funny you should mention that. Yesterday, while at Trader Joe's, I saw that they had sea salt in a small jar with a shaker cap, seemingly perfect for my needs. The size of the jar was fine, but I wasn't sure about the size of the holes in the cap, so I didn't buy it. However, on the way home, I thought about how I could make it work even if the holes were too big, which was my concern.

The size of the hole is extremely important.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?