• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organizing what you've learned at eGullet

rotuts

Ive learned a great deal at the eG. so much so that its become difficult for me to organize all the posts and references.

Initially I made bookmarks. now have a zillion book marks.

then I did screen shots of particular responses I wanted to save, and tried to call them something that would ring a bell and placed them in various folders.

OK to a degree.

but more and more Im looking for a particular post and cant find it or if its a pic, get back to the original thread to review the ideas more completely.

sometimes the search works but mostly its not so helpful at least to me for something specific Ive seen before.

so: how have you been organizing what you've learned here?

here in one example, from PedroG re SV temps:

SV bourguignon.jpg

its a screen shot.

its # 22 in some sort of thread, but its hard to find that thread and go back to review.

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)

Since I suffer from extreme ADHD and OCD and I'm the world's most disorganized person, I find it extremely difficult to stay organised.

I try to keep everything in folders in either Google Drive or Ubuntu One.

Critical information that I want to have easy access to without a lot of searching I'll email to myself via my gmail account.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It was this forum.

I second Evernote or emailing it to yourself but with both you still need to have an ability to search to retrieve the information. So the question is not so much one of storing (which you have done with the screen shot above) as one of retrieving what you have stored. For this you need a good search engine.

I gave up on the search function in eGullet a long time ago. If you know the sort of content, look it up using google site search (type "site:forums.egullet.org <search term>" into google). That's how I found the forum you mentioned (it was number two on the search list) and every other one I've tried to remember.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

That's what I like about emailing to gmail....the more detail in the subject line better....it makes searching easy.

You can also organize into folders.

Google Drive is also easy to search.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I use MacGourmet to organize recipes and notes. I just copy the information or picture and paste it into the program. The recipe section is quite flexible so for example you can put several versions all under the same recipe. I.e., "Pork Belly": SV or conventional.

evernote it is. Gives the flexibility to combine web clippings, all kinds of documents, photo's and even hand-written notes. Fully searchable, even does character recognition. I store everything there. It also synchronises over all your devices, which is very handy when you are on the move.

• 4 months later...

I just ran across this topic while I was wondering the exact same question that rotuts brought up. Those of you who use Evernote: are you using the standard Evernote, or Evernote Cooks?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown