• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Caja Cooking

Paul Bacino

What a beautiful day for a PIG roast!!

I bought a 58# Pig!! and set up the Cajun Microwave

10776865213_f6b2242e67_h.jpg

WE seasoned it a day ahead, injecting with La Caja Mojo-- Cajun /and a the other side with just salt ( Kosher ) and Malbar pepper. At noon before the cook, we opted to inject with a vinegar based sauce and use a seasoned dry rub . Good to Go

10776928193_ebb3909431_h.jpg

Oh here I am-- the middle dude ( Cheers )

10776994253_44a5276c3a_h.jpg

We added 17 pounds of briquettes in two piles-- heated for 30 mins /45 mins and spread the coals . Adding about 7 pounds every hr and cleaning the ash from the pan underneath.

We started at about 12 :30 PM-- I'll post my temp notes later ( we used a dual temperature probe )-- attached to a wired sensor :(

At 5 PM we had this: we are @ 170 F

10777047983_9a75aa6c9e_h.jpg

at this time, you flip the hog, this is now scoring the skin, for crisping

10776851596_44ea4f32bd_h.jpg

One Hr later-- we had this finished result!!

10777411355_aaad1f9d7a_h.jpg

We allowed this to cool and we pulled the pork..

WE made Banh mi sandwiches and basically had some different sauces to add to the pork, did a Chi-mi cirri ( SP ) and a red Barbeque from Raichlen--Side were blk beans, rice, slaw, tator salad.

Oh and the last we did was a brain croistini with fig butter. :)

10777255113_d2c4e67eee_h.jpg

Reflections:

I was under impressed with seasoning, seemed non prevalent. I thought we injected the heck out of it!! Brine next time ? Thoughts? The pork was juice though

WE were able to keep the box temp between 220F-275F, and used about 50# total charcoal over 5.5 hr period.

We took some of the skin off and broiled it to better make cracklings

Our finished temp ranged between 190-205 depended on the part. The ribs were toast and I think the tenderloin was nicely protected ( probably need to foil ( protect ) this are next time. The hind quarters cooked perfect.

I figured about a 50% yield of usable pork-- could have been more I'm sure

Kinda hectic, getting everything ready. Needed another hand..for sure.

All in all " a fun time and many bottles of wine ". I served about 30 people

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

""" many bottles of wine """

excellent thinking.

BTW Ive seen the caja many times on BBQ w Flay.

its essentially an oven, correct? powered by charcoal.

does the top have a solid layer just under the charcoal to collect the 'embers' ?

Thanks..

RT.

The coals are on a wire grate w a ash box under it. So. Every reload we dumped the ash in a metal wheel barrel.. Many a soul has burned a foot..on the dump coal. Still the hot briquettes on the grate.

The ash box-- probably a 3" edge aluminum catch box

Its good to have Morels

I have had several Caja China's over the years... I currently have two. I cater weddings and when someone wants to have a pig roast, I will often just leave the Caja at the person's home as kind of a present, if they want it.

I have had more success with the skin than you. Maybe I keep it in longer.. I oil and brush the skin before the last charcoal dump and when you flip the pig. I have cooked goats in the caja as well.

In terms of marinade, I like the basic Cuban Marinade. Sour Orange, or orange and lime, oregano, salt, pepper and a crap ton of garlic. I let this soak for at least two days. i may or may not cumin, i am trying to remember, it may go both ways.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

The marinade, I just throw the pig in a huge plastic bag, triple bag it and then pour in the marinade with the pig and tie the whole thing up.. Flip every 12 hours or so.. I have a huge cooler that fits the pig.

I often brine baby pigs in my house.. I have this huge pressure cooker. So, I brine the pig, seal it in the pressure cooker and then leave it on my back porch when the weather is cold enough..

8327363535_42866e86df.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Injecting is overrated, IMHO. You need to rub something flavorful into the cracks & crevices---I like a pasty blend of garlic, EVOO, and some rosemary & fennel, or to keep it in the cajun direction, use cayenne, thyme, sage, and garlic. Work it into any spaces you can find, along the ribs, near the legs...carefully cut a few pockets beneath the skin near major muscles. You don't want to leave much on the surface to burn & get acrid, though.

• Like 1

OK, now I want a Caja China box. And an excuse to use it.

This looks a lot like a commercially-prepared version of a box Mayhaw Man used, way back when, for roasting large chunks of meat. I think he called the topic "Contraption Cooking". If I can find it, I'll post a link...very entertaining, as I recall. I never got around to building one of those, either; I just drooled and admired. As I will on this topic, no doubt.

Edited to add: the topic is called "The boy ain't right in the head" and it's at

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/67441-the-boy-aint-right-in-the-head

The reference to Contraption Cooking is a bit further down, referring to book that was then in progress.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown