• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the minimum temperature to cook beans?

TdeV

Beans will cook at minimum slow cooker temperature, which is > 160 F.

How long?

Depends on many things:

Was there an overnight soak?

Were they brought to a boil then allowed to sit for 2 hours?

Were the beans fresh, i.e. harvested this year?

A wise Mennonite cook once told me, "Some beans never come around."

I prefer a higher temperature in a pressure cooker, typically 35 to 50 minutes in my PC.

If I had to use a slow cooker, it would be overnight, and even so, unreliable.

• Like 2

I don't know what the minimum temp is, but I cook mine in a clay pot on the simmer burner after a 5 minute boil. I get occasional bubbles, one or two every few seconds. I cook them until a bean cut in half no longer has a spot and when the bean is appropriately soft. I never know in advance how long this will be, but the nice thing about low and slow is you can cook longer by a bit without messing up the beans. As I've said elsewhere, I let the bean tell me when it's done.

The cooking time done this way is VERY dependent on the type and quality of the bean. I recently did pintos that took about 6 hours. I'd expect some do the larger runner beans to take most of a day. I did limas or something that surprised me by being ready after a couple hours. I would expect the same of favas.

I do not soak.

Add to the list of factors: growing conditions. I recently had an unusual heirloom bean grown under drought conditions without irrigation. An awesome bean, but a bit uneven in texture.

• Like 2

I cook them until a bean cut in half no longer has a spot and when the bean is appropriately soft.

Have you tried the "blowing on the bean" technique?

When you pick up a few beans with your spoon, and gently blow on them, the skin will wrinkle if they're done.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I cook them until a bean cut in half no longer has a spot and when the bean is appropriately soft.

Have you tried the "blowing on the bean" technique?

When you pick up a few beans with your spoon, and gently blow on them, the skin will wrinkle if they're done.

I've never understood *why* this works. I understand my methods, so I prefer them.

I've cooked beans all day and/or overnight at 190 F in a controlled water bath. (I immerse an earthenware bean pot, a way of praying to all possible gods just in case.) I love how they come out, better texture and flavor this way.

My beans are either Rancho Gordo or imported from Spain, but for this question I suspect age is more important than provenance. However, the people most stunned by these beans haven't tried Rancho Gordo beans before; it would be a mistake for my method to take credit.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

Ripose il cane: "Ho fame e non ho nulla da mangiare."

I've cooked beans all day and/or overnight at 190 F in a controlled water bath. (I immerse an earthenware bean pot, a way of praying to all possible gods just in case.) I love how they come out, better texture and flavor this way.

My beans are either Rancho Gordo or imported from Spain, but for this question I suspect age is more important than provenance. However, the people most stunned by these beans haven't tried Rancho Gordo beans before; it would be a mistake for my method to take credit.

Excellent suggestion on immersing the pot in a water bath! I need to try that. Makes perfect sense. I've marveled at the near perfect beans (texture wise) that come from a can (Eden, Ranch Style) and wondered how they get that texture. Low and slow is my best guess. Some references on a casual search suggest 24-36 hours at 180 F. Sealing them might add the additional benefit of keeping the aromatics trapped in the cooking vessel.

I use beans from Rancho Gordon too. I picked up some gorgeous beans from Kalustyan's in NYC. I also use Purcell Mountain for favorites like Rattlesnake and black eyed peas.

Worth remembering that some beans are poisonous and must be boiled for ten minutes to render them safe. Red kidney beans in particular. Soy beans are also poisonous raw.

Did not know that.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/causesofillnessbadbugbook/ucm071092.htm

It has been shown that heating to 80°C may potentiate the toxicity five-fold

I could not find a temperature/time curve for destroying phytohaemagglutinin. The "boil for ten minutes" rec is coming from the same people who say cook chicken till inedible. At least beans taste great after this initial boiling.

I don't actually like red kidney beans (they're just boring) but my favorite Rancho Gordo-Xocxoc Project beans have probably never been studied by science, one should assume this toxin danger for any bean.

Per la strada incontro un passero che disse "Fratello cane, perche sei cosi triste?"

I don't actually like red kidney beans (they're just boring)

Try cooking those "boring" red kidney beans with a smoked ham hock, smoked turkey wings or necks, or some salted pork, plus celery, bell pepper, and onion, as well as some cayenne pepper. Red beans are a south Louisiana Monday classic, with or without smoked sausage on the side (or a fried pork chop, if you prefer). Keep cooking them until they "cream" and the pot liquor is indistinguishable from the beans.

• Like 2

Ok, I must try rancho Gordo beans, I never cared in my life of beans, maybe I'll change my mind.

Have you ever tried cooking in "a fiasco" Tuscan style, just to compare? I'd be curious

• Like 1

Worth remembering that some beans are poisonous and must be boiled for ten minutes to render them safe. Red kidney beans in particular. Soy beans are also poisonous raw.

I'll look into this. I am skeptical because edamame, most definitely a soy bean, is eaten at room temperature or slightly heated.

Red beans are a south Louisiana Monday classic

Yeah, point taken, I loved these beans in Louisiana, and I've made them. This treatment makes any bean taste good. But if you love red wine, you want to try other wines besides Cab and Merlot. If you love red beans, some of the earth-colored Xocxoc Project beans will blow your mind. They'd be fantastic with this treatment. Also as good as an austere Italian side, plain with salt and olive oil.

Have you ever tried cooking in "a fiasco" Tuscan style, just to compare? I'd be curious

No, though I've heard of it, and it was pretty much what I was simulating. What any such method risks is less evaporation, a clay pot in an oven really is ideal.

A Moroccan tangia is the poster child for such endeavors. Make one by the book once, and it'll change how you make any stew again.