• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China, a Year of Dining

basquecook

Hey thanks all. my sleep has been super screwed up since coming home. I am sure there will be plenty of time for more entrees. I appreciate you all following and reading.

• Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

This is an utterly remarkable thread, BC, and I thank you for doing it!

The photos are compelling, the information terrific. It's really hard to be complimentary enough. It must have taken you quite a while to do it.

As for your title, at first I did think that either you had just returned from spending a year in China and were going to tell us about it in retrospective; or, you are just leaving to spend a year in China and are going to tell us about it going forward.

But I thought your first paragraph explained it perfectly. For the last year, you've been going to China regularly. And you are going to tell us about it.

Liuzhou - as I was reading this remarkable thread, and staring at each new photo much the way an enraptured child stares at the window of a toy store at Christmas, I was hoping you'd swing by and add even more wondrous and delightful information.

It's not too late.

• Like 3

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

basquecook,

Thank you for sharing this. You are obviously an adventurous diner but have you been offered dishes that you simply would not try or really disliked?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Liuzhou - as I was reading this remarkable thread, and staring at each new photo much the way an enraptured child stares at the window of a toy store at Christmas, I was hoping you'd swing by and add even more wondrous and delightful information.

It's not too late.

Not sure what you are getting at. Most of my nearly 1.500 posts have been about food in China. And no doubt there will be more.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This was Xian

So I arrived in Xian... I really did not know much about the history of the place.. I knew of Xian from the terra cotta soldiers, i knew a young emperor that united China through wars, and eventually went crazy and built this labyrinth of terra cotta soldiers that was discovered in the 70's by some farmer digging a well.. I didn't realize it was the center of China for a couple thousand years, that it was the site of the first Mosque in China, the beginning of the Silk Road, (Asias Pipeline to Europe) that there were awesome Old Castle Walls preserved from that time period.. It's just a beautiful city, wonderful people.. There are something like 7 million people there.. It feels Old European and very Chinese at the same time.

I stayed at what i think is the perfect location... It was directly aside of the Old Mosque and the Muslim Section. Muslim section consists of 5 or 6 long narrow streets which are lined with vendors selling food, tshirts, handbags, jewelry, carvings, paintings, and lots of garbage. Sticks of lamb seem to be the real draw here but, there are hand pulled noodle shops, tons of nuts and dried fruit people, and lots of Middle Eastern Influence.. People selling Halava, dates, Flat Breads with Sesame, Sesame Sauces, Sesame Pastry, and Shwarma.. It really was like a large melting pot and you can see the influences from the Silk Road..Even the people looked incredible varied. Women in head scarves, men in white Muslim Caps.. There with Chinese Folk with very Middle Easter Facial Features...All sorts of shades of colors, all sorts of dress.. The people certainly told the story of years of different cultures mixing together, and it appears they were not just trading spices..

6275184177_0344ef5d34_z.jpg

6275185949_eba771e592_z.jpg

One thing that amazed me was no matter how crowded the street was, there was still a bicycle or a motorbike, or the occasional car that would just make its way through the crowd.. the crowd would just move out of the way. there would be no road rage, no chicken, no screaming or middle fingers.. there is a car, get out of the way, the car will try to get out of your way.. it's not a big deal..that would not fly in The U.S...

6275189881_9a8a195afb_z.jpg

This was my first thing I ate.. it was hard to pass up.. large chunks of lamb being cooked over coals, being doused in cumin, being painted with spicy red sauce...

6275714562_52cb9f557d_z.jpg

Sorry the picture was not more clear.. As delicious as it tasted, it was rare in the middle.. i thought i was done for.. mostly because i still ate most of it despite to not being cooked.. it was nicely charred on the outside but, I still had to rely on the quality of the street meat..Since it was hallal most likely, i thought it was going to be ok..

This might be culturally insensitive but, my biggest complaint about the Muslim district.. No beer.. this food is such a perfect match.

6275717100_7245ce979b_z.jpg

This woman is wearing a silver head dress.. she let me take a picture.. my camera skills were not the best that night..

6275194267_094a4b37d2_z.jpg

This reminded me of something from Morocco

6275719406_6e0d6c968a_z.jpg

Grilled quail eggs, will go into it more later.

6275186691_2b914da73d_z.jpg
Had to stop for another stick.. In my two days in Xian, i ate lots of sticks.. you would see these garbage cans with like 400 sticks sticking out of them..it looked really cool.. Another thing i enjoyed but did not photograph where these spiral things. it looked a vegetable that was put in one of these spinner cutters.. then grilled, it turns out they were rice noodles that were grilled and covered in cumin and chile sauce.. they were excellent too..

6275720152_2c37a40a4a_z.jpg

I also stopped and had lamb dumplings.. it was served with a vinegar and pepper sauce.. it was a little disconcerting as the women told me to wait before eating the dumplings so she can empty the three of four used chile bowls into one big one for me to use.. Not to mention, chopsticks are these wooden guys that are in large jars tableside.. there is no running water in these stalls..

6275721342_5e0763b5e6_z.jpg

I sat at that first table on the left.. you can see where the chopsticks are..

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

These things were so good.. some of the best bread i have had.. it came out warm, salty, covered in sesame.. actually, considering it was the first decent bread item i have had in a couple of weeks, it might have been the best piece of bread i have ever eaten..

6275677728_f89c321a11_z.jpg

With a little lamb on a stick.. Oh baby

6275690630_b00561973c_z.jpg

Here is some more bread:

6275680312_e3d547411b_z.jpg

Here is the fastest way to get through the crowd.

6275157105_016209466c_z.jpg

I came upon this young girl.. there were a few of these places.. rice noodles, sesame sauce, black vinegar, and chile sauce..

6275681512_e777d79fe4_z.jpg

Just like in mexico.. They put the plastic bag over your bowl so they don't need to clean it.. Again, i wondered, what about the chopsticks.

This plate of noodles.. oh my goodness it was good..

6275159057_8e7bec2338_z.jpg

I think it was like 75 cents or something..

6275683376_840cf1ab6c_z.jpg

More Middle Eastern flair.

6275161855_bf765c36a4_z.jpg

The bread, the kid, all not very traditionally Chinese..The people are beautiful though..

6275685902_ee55734674_z.jpg

Fire is everywhere.. people welding, huge blow torches are boiling pots, hese guys were making noodles..

6275686420_4ee480a9f0_z.jpg

This lady was making these little folded pancakes or dumplings on this flat top..

6275687900_581f310cf0_z.jpg

Sesame flavored pigs feet..

6275165109_85695a6206_z.jpg

uh um..

6275689188_c1dbe3fff7_z.jpg

Tons of walnuts being roasted in salt.. there were lots of walnuts and peanuts and pomegranites were everywhere.. i ate a bunch of them on my trip.. In fact, the City Flower of Xian is the Pomegranite Flower.. Not spellchecking it..

6275154911_ce298aa97a_z.jpg

Quail eggs:

6275169137_e20214d719_z.jpg

6275169849_ca8af0192f_z.jpg

Last meal of the trip:

6275171463_db023b0918_z.jpg

After seeing the scallions being washed with a dirty hose then being layed on a dirty wheel barrel i said, no fresh vegetables.. so, i decided to give the no hand signal for fresh cilantro.. pickled or cooked vegetables for me.. you can see the glob of chiles around 9 oclock on the bowl below..

6275695396_879de94757_z.jpg

So good.. thick handmade noodles, tons of spice, pickled vegetables, little pieces of beef..

• Like 3

This might be culturally insensitive but, my biggest complaint about the Muslim district.. No beer.

I lived in Xi'an from 1997-1999 and revisit often and I can assure you that they do have beer in the Muslim district - unless I have drunk it all.

They put the plastic bag over your bowl so they don't need to clean it..

No. They put the plastic bag over the bowl so that you don't have to eat from the dirty bowl. They do that all over China.

I'm fairly sure the picture you label as sesame pig's feet is actually sheep's feet. Mutton. They don't do pork in the Muslim district. The sign behind them says 'sheep',

I must say however, Xi'an (that apostrophe is essential in pinyin) food is probably the best in China. I miss the place. Going back in January.

• Like 1

Basquecook, I'm curious as to what your business is. Are these folks that you meet in China clients or prospects or colleagues?

You must be able to speak Chinese if you're doing business with them. Are you of Chinese extraction and spoke it previously, or did you have to learn Chinese before you began traveling there?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm fairly sure the picture you label as sesame pig's feet is actually sheep's feet. Mutton. They don't do pork in the Muslim district. The sign behind them says 'sheep',

You found beer, i found pork, we should team up and then we can have it all .

• Like 2

Interesting!!!! I love seeing how they get the eggs on sticks. And, I'm glad to learn about the plastic covering over the bowls. I would have never known that and probably done a huge blunder by dumping the food off the plastic into the bowl!

You found beer, i found pork, we should team up and then we can have it all .

Haha.

That is definitely sheep / lamb.

The sign reads "Roast Lamb - Roast Lamb Feet / Leg."

羊 is sheep or lamb.

• Like 1

I was saying there is no running water in the stalls I was in so, they put the plastic cover on the bowls so they don't have to clean them, or actually have no way of cleaning them. The chopsticks got no more than a sturdy wipe.

• Like 1

I was saying there is no running water in the stalls I was in so, they put the plastic cover on the bowls so they don't have to clean them, or actually have no way of cleaning them. The chopsticks got no more than a sturdy wipe.

And I'm saying they do it all over China whether they have running water or not.

And, I'm glad to learn about the plastic covering over the bowls. I would have never known that and probably done a huge blunder by dumping the food off the plastic into the bowl!

As Basquecook says, they do that all over Mexico, too. At the taco trucks and food stands. Really an efficient way to serve everybody food on a clean "plate" when you don't have washing facilities.

• Like 1

Yangzhou

RT MART:

This is what the parking lot looks like. Not many cars

10659019385_061927fccd.jpg

Obligatory shot of Durian.. You could smell they had it a few aisles before they had it. They have a dedicated person who is there to chop it up for you and wrap it.

10660871086_595f3f4575.jpg

Perserved duck and sausages.. Chinese Sausage tastes a lot like Portuguese Chorizo and a few kinds of Dried Italian Sausages to me.. Sorry Portugal, I am pretty sure the Chinese taught you and Italy how to make Sausages. Are noodles and ravioli even debated still? On the bottom left is stuff that looks just like prosciutto.. Salted and cured pork.

10660861456_e3840098ed.jpg

Dried Shrimp,seaweed, mussels, clams, various fish and seaweeds. you can see the dried fish hanging from the ceiling.. That giant squid at 12 o clock.

10660842605_121dca0d46.jpg

Fish:

10659065784_2f0631be15.jpg

Shellfish, clams, oysters, snails, snakes, frogs, whatever you can think of, countless fish heads

10659049276_928ea692de.jpg

Crabs:

10659053076_dfecd62204.jpg

• Like 2

And, I'm glad to learn about the plastic covering over the bowls. I would have never known that and probably done a huge blunder by dumping the food off the plastic into the bowl!

As Basquecook says, they do that all over Mexico, too. At the taco trucks and food stands. Really an efficient way to serve everybody food on a clean "plate" when you don't have washing facilities.

Hell, I should start doing this at home. Would save loads of time ;)

• Like 4

yangzhou dinner one night:

I swear this tasted like it had parmesan cheese it in. Gelatin noodles made with potato.

10671458083_c97178b778.jpg

Tofu with some sort of dried clam with tofu.. This was one of the first dishes of the trip I couldn't eat. it was really strong stuff.

10671017824_b3df47e51b.jpg

Salted and perserved pork belly with eggplant in a sweet soy sauce with garlic and chile peppers. this dish was awesome

10671006574_66ce4b461f.jpg

yellow croaker.. super meaty and strong tasting fish.

10671001084_44923cefbe.jpg

Spicy fried chicken: awesome

10670918155_9b5c750684.jpg

• Like 2

Our work host and her husband have a large group of friends and they meet almost weekly.. The men sit at one large table, the women at the other. It is a successful group. Government officials, a manager of a huge Loews Hotel, the Chief of Police, a factory owner, a banker and so on. They rent private rooms.. The men get freaking whacked on whiskey, chain smoke cigarettes, the women and children play cards and whatever.

10575850993_76bc784038_z.jpg

It starts very civil. We sit around and exchange glances, smiles, head nods, sip tea. There are cold dishes on the table.

Shrimp, fried, sea kelp, dates, greens and fava beans, coleslaw, some sort of cold mutton with chili sauce. We are drinking this toasted wheat tea, which is really lovely.
10575410424_bb834e705d_z.jpg
Tiny crab claws in sauce:
10575480294_b5de05ec54_z.jpg

spicy tripe in chile sauce with mushrooms
10574038033_e1e370c7b0_z.jpg
Mutton or something like that:
10575525145_653084564b_z.jpg
Finally, the last guest arrives.. He arrives with a carton of these yellow cigarettes that apparently cost close to 18 dollars US a pack. He starts throwing them around.. Then he opens a bag and there are several bottles of whiskey. All of the glasses are put on the lazy susan and he collects them. He is now pouring them to the top. I try to not drink whiskey and ask for a beer. I am asked, why would I drink beer, whiskey are for men. While I don't understand much, the macho display needs know interpretation.
10575353424_d7cdc40fb5_z.jpg

Then, I guess Jacques Briel's Carousel would be the most appropriate theme song for what happens for the next few hours..

10575535565_6eb62f8a08_z.jpg

There is standing and giving cheers and taking shots and smoking and eating, and plate after plate are places on the spinning lazy Suzanne.. Suzanne was far from lazy last night. She was getting a work for sure.. That is the birthday girl on the left, she is drinking tea.

pork belly with bamboo to cut the fat

10575871584_9731f918cb_z.jpg

oysters like the Cantonese Scallops
10575601976_979ea39aee_z.jpg

this chicken was really lovely..

10575626284_a26fa225cc_z.jpg

Some sort of beef innards with meatballs in a pickling pepper sauce. really nice

10575739943_43493ee2ef_z.jpg

Tofu:

10575493045_a748965b44_z.jpg

crab, you can see some type of glutinous squares in the top left corner too
10573732446_dffce073a6_z.jpg

Flounder and various plates of greens
10573493035_f52e7798a5_z.jpg
Noodles to end.. I flashed my tattoo and out came the noodles..
10573476635_dd343cc7ca_z.jpg

Awesome night.. A fun loving close group of friends.. I feel fortunate to be invited into their circle, if only for a night.
10573476816_0427100c1d_z.jpg

• Like 2

Yeh, the ladies husband I work with is, the chief of police.. He is a good guy to know. We broke down a couple of trips ago and there was a cop car that came up scooped us up and brought us to the restaurant we were heading to. He is a nice guy. Everyone in town knows him. You definitely feel pretty safe when his drivers take you home at the end of the night.

The little crabs, you just suck the meat out. I personally loves these guys. I can admit that I have just crunched up the claws and eaten everything on occasion. Just like eating sunflower seeds or something. I will occasionally eat a whole shrimp head to. After some rice wine, after a few beers, after some rice wine, I care less and less about the proper way to eat tiny little crab claws.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2