• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate

Schielke

I've found that I get the best, thickest, creamiest texture in my hot chocolate (not cocoa) when I heat the milk to steaming, lower the heat as far as it will go, and stir in the chocolate until it's melted. Then I bring the heat up to medium-high until it begins to bubble around the edges -- remove from heat and stir. An immersion blender is nice for this. Then I heat it again to just beginning to boil, remove, stir. A third and final boil and stir would not go amiss, and then I add a little pinch of salt, vanilla, sugar if it needs it, and cinnamon and/or ground chile when in the mood. Something about the multiple boilings really enhances the texture, giving it that luscious, almost puddingish feel.

Yum, now I really want some!

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"