• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Chocolate

Schielke

A discussion of our hot (chocolate) lives would really perk up the boards I think.

Hmmmm. Attention moderators and the powers that be- someone thinks the boards need perking up already even before your new years pogrum :raz:

No reflection on you, Timo.

I recall a thread (I started) over a year ago that was all about hot chocolate. The killer version is served by Angelina's in Paris, and mimicked well by Scott Campbell at SQC. For me, melted chocolate with heavy whipped cream is they way I like it. That weak foamy stuff leaves me dissatisfied.

Edited by jaybee (log)

Thanks, Jason! I guess I am even less inept at using the "search" function than I thought...

Stilllllll...... I only see 2 replies here for the hot chocolate thread, and that thread is a whole year old! Surely, there must have been some sort of technological advances in the hot chocolate field since then that we can discuss...

"Things go better with cake." -Marcel Desaulniers

timoblog!

This is something I think requires intervention from Steve Klc.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

thank-you jaybee for your advice! I was atleast entertained.

eGulleteers who are not interested in having a "perked up" discussion (don't be offended or anything stefanyb, but this comment is directed directly at you) need not read past this post. But those who are maybe considering prematurely perking up the boards by making things just a wee bit more intersting via a discussion about hot chocolate, please... discuss. Isn't that what these boards are for stefanyb?

timoblog!

yes, Jason, intervention by Steve is the best idea I've heard so far! Steve, can you save this discussion? I'm afraid it is already going downhill due to skeptic boardmembers... But, for all you who don't think hot chocolate can be interesting, Steve will make a believer out of you.

timoblog!

thank-you jaybee for your advice! I was atleast entertained.

eGulleteers who are not interested in having a "perked up" discussion (don't be offended or anything stefanyb, but this comment is directed directly at you) need not read past this post. But those who are maybe considering prematurely perking up the boards by making things just a wee bit more intersting via a discussion about hot chocolate, please... discuss. Isn't that what these boards are for stefanyb?

Oh, excuse me. You're right, of course, since you're the resident expert on what these boards are for. Go back and read my post again a few more times and then yours. You think the boards need perking up. I think that's worthy of pointing out and pretty telling also.

Good get, TSquare. Shielke started the thread and I posted several recipes mirroring the Angeline's recipe. Over 20 posts about Hot Chocolate seemed to exhaust the board's interest of knowledge.

Timo, Stefany's post referred to an issue that has little to do with your post, so don't get yourself into hot chocolate. Gosh and golly.

PLEASE - to everyone, don't ever take any of my posts too seriously, all I meant was to start an innocent discussion of hot chocolate.... :sad: I'm not the expert on anything having to do with eGullet, I'm just interested in a good cup of hot chocolate is all... :sad::sad::sad: it all seemed like such an innocent endeavor...

timoblog!

I like hot chocolate!

I have been meaning to do some experimentation too! Could somebody outline their favorite styles of the sweet stuff? Those previous threads were about european and mexican (I think) hot chocolate...how about your other day to day stuff?

Are you pro or con mini marshmallow?

I know nightscotsman digs big homemade mallows. Awww yeah

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Well, I guess I'll repeat here my favorite hot chocolate recipe. I like the Mexican brands. And just like in candy, sometimes I'm in the mood for milk chocolate, and sometimes not. So, sometimes I prepare the Mexican chocolate with milk, and sometimes water. But my very favorite is the Mexican chocolate, prepared with water, with real whipped cream on top. So, as you sip, you draw the regular chocolate up through the milk, winding up with both flavors - regular chocolate and milk chocolate intermingling. Yum. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I recall a thread (I started) over a year ago that was all about hot chocolate.  The killer version is served by Angelina's in Paris, and mimicked well by Scott Campbell at SQC.  For me, melted chocolate with heavy whipped cream is they way I like it.  That weak foamy stuff leaves me dissatisfied.

Jaybee, Scott Campbell (SQC) not only mimicks it, but has taken it to a step closer to being the best in the world.

There is no comparison in my mind between the two. His is far better in taste, while Angelina's has greater nostalgic value. :shock:

Just being honest. :smile:

-This is my homemade Hot Chocolate, I used for venues at Hammerstein Ballroom when I worked for a caterer in the city. It lends itself to any flavoring, liquors, nuts , etc....

Hot Chocolate

1 cups sugar

1/4 cup water

1/2 cups cocoa

1 Tablespoons chili powder

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

2 cups heavy cream

12 oz. bittersweet chocolate, good quality

2 quarts of milk or half & half (if you wnat it really rich)

Make an amber caramel from the sugar and water. Combine the cream, cocoa powder, cinnamon and chili powder. Add to the caramel and bring to a boil. Add the chocolate and stir to melt. Once melted, add the milk and vanilla. Adjust thickness and richness with skim milk. Serve Hot with homemade marshmallows.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I like hot chocolate. With lots of whipped cream. We tend to add a little bailey's to ours :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

bripastryguy - thanks for the recipe! You say it lends itself to nuts etc... How does one use nuts in a drink? As garnish? I had never really thought about it before today - I just came from starbucks (I went only out of convenience, not of choice) and they were handing out smaples of their new drink - something like a "toffee nut latte". Well, I was intrigued by the "nut" part, and tried a cup, but alas, all I tasted was the sugar, with a faint burnt coffe flavor. Alas, I am sure your use of nuts in your hot chocolate is much more worthwhile.

timoblog!

Infuse the milk or cream you are using with toasted nuts, nut pastes, etc...

I have used different liquors as well: amaretto, kaluha, frangelico and grand marnier, my personal favorite

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

The Ferrara (and other Italian brands) of flavored syrups work nice as well, if you don't want to use a liqueur.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know any of the ORIGINAL recipes for hot chocolate from a few hundred years ago?

According to the Chocolate Bible, it looks like the Spanish were the first to drink hot chocolate (up until then Aztecs and other native Central and South Americans drank it cold). They used boiling water, never milk or cream, and added stiffly beaten egg whites to give it some froth. They also added spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and ginger, but only sometimes added sugar.

read brillat-savarin [in translation, of course] for good fun discussion of the imprtance, nay, necessity, of chocolate.

timo, you can still be pretty simple about it--melt good chocolate in milk [or water]--the better the chcolate, the better the hot chocolate. as it's melting, be sure to stir it--whip it, really--often.

yum-thanks stellabella. You are definitely right about simplicity -- as long as the chocolate is good.

But, when I am not in a "simple" mood... I like chocolate with flavorings too. Mostly, I've only had hazelnut (liquid nutella) and this I've only made with the flavored syrups - Ferrara or Big Train. I'm sure liquer would be a big step up- but, alas, it is so hard for a 17 year old to get his hands on a bottle of frangelico these days... :raz:

... Speaking of hazelnut hot chocolate... I hear the hot chocolate at Otto is worth its weight in gold... any details on it?

-Timo

timoblog!

• 1 year later...

Good link on hot chocolate in today's SJ Mercury News:

hot chocolate

Includes recipes from Herme, Laduree and homemade marshmallows.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"