• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal short ribs

rlibkind

Picked up some humanely raised veal short ribs from my fav cheesemaker at a farrmers' market. I'll braise them, figuring a lightter touch than with beef short ribs. Due to some medications Im temporarily on. even if most alcohol cooks off, would like to afoid booze in braising liquid. Any suggestions? Maybe a touch of tomato? Of some simple herbs in light stock? Normally I'd add a toicjh of good riesling, but not today.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Two or three chopped anchovy fillets, garlic, 2T rice vinegar, and a light touch of 1T tomato paste added to braising stock. I would finish the ribs under a broiler with a sprinkle of Provence herbs, while thickening the braising liquid.

if most alcohol cooks off, would like to afoid booze in braising liquid.

The alcohol goes into solution with the other braising liquids. Therefore the alcohol evaporates at the same rate as the other liquids.

Tim