• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unvented Pressure Cookers (Kuhn Rikon, Fissler) and PSI control

simplycumin

It hissed before, just not as much. I was able to suppress the hissing a bit by spinning the indicator around, but in retrospect I highly doubt that did anything. For some reason now it is hissing discernibly more than it used to. I wish I had a better recording device...I recorded that on my iphone 4 and it does not do justice to how loud the hissing actually is. Though it hissed before, as you said in a previous post, some hissing and venting is normal, so I ignored it for most of the year since I did not really have another frame of reference. However, Chris says he has a similar model and his is completely silent without zero venting...so I'm not sure what to make of that. I have emailed Kuhn Rikon and will probably give them a call later.

As for my cooktop, I am using a gas stove. I clean the cooker by hand with regular liquid dish detergent and hot water and a sponge. Sometimes I take apart the valve parts and I rinse the parts with cold water and a tiny bit of soap. 

Edited by takadi (log)

The automatic noise-cancellation in the mic is removing the hiss so we can clearly hear the clanking in your kitchen. : )

I suspect the pressure safety plug may be to blame (again).  The "metal" part of the plug is actually aluminum and contact with anything corrosive to aluminum (acids, salt, chlorine, etc) will damage it. I live right next to the Mediterranean Sea so I have to change those plugs about once a year due to the heavy salinity and humidity in the air.

But before you "spring" for another one see what KR has to say.

Good luck!

L

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

So the mystery is slowly unraveling...

I communicated with Kuhn Rikon and after some back and forth, it turns out the main valve I have is a pre-1998 model, which has two holes on the top, as opposed to the new valve, which only has one hole. According to Kuhn Rikon that might be the reason why the valve was venting.  For some reason, the indicator stem cap is from the newer model but the valve itself is the old model, which is why from quick glance it seemed like the valve matched the pressure cooker model but it really didn't. I checked the pot itself and the manufacturing date on the bottom is from January 1999.  So there was definitely a switch up, maybe from manufacturing error, but most likely an unscrupulous ebay seller (no surprises). This is something I suspected back in my December post on this thread, and now it seems to be confirmed. I could have saved myself all this trouble if I just gave them a call -_-.

I am going to send in my lid to have them inspect it for any other problems to get this year long ordeal over with once and for all. 

Laura, thank you so much for sticking with me this entire time and answering all my questions, it has been an educational experience!

Edited by takadi (log)
  • Like 1