• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tricks for shelling pistachios?

sadistick

The wifey recently was gifted a big bag o nuts, pistachios to be exact.

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to getting the shells off of those ones that are nearly close, but have a little crack, or even no crack at all.

I hate wasting and it would be a shame to throw them out - as the old saying goes, waste not want not! TooTrue!

Not particularly recommended, but does the trick: use your teeth getting a tooth edge into the opening. If gentle pressure does not split it at once, discard. Dental expenses rule the cots/benefit analysis. You should not be getting more than 10% duds.

• Like 1

A dime or sometimes a quarter.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Be warned, pistachios are seriously addictive,

beer and pistachios even more so.

I have had a sore thumb many a time from shelling them sat outside my tent, watching the sun set :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Not particularly recommended, but does the trick: use your teeth getting a tooth edge into the opening. If gentle pressure does not split it at once, discard. Dental expenses rule the cots/benefit analysis. You should not be getting more than 10% duds.

I use a shell half from a previous nut, and use it to pry open any that can't be easily opened by hand (fingers).

• Like 1

... Shel

I just crunch them between my molars until I feel the shell crack, then fish them out to extract the meat.

What I would most likely shell out would be three or four grand to my dentist to repair plates and bridges. My family experience suggests that there are better ways to extract nut meats. I keep a couple of thumb screw drivers handy for pistachios.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Trust me, the method I mentioned above works.

Works for nuts totally not cracked.

Works for other nuts also, just adjust the jaws wider.

I, for one, don't doubt you. I just don't carry a toolkit with me wherever I go, and I often snack on nuts outside of and away from home, mine or other's.

... Shel

mmm, cold worms. :smile:

Well it wasn't wormy when I bought it. Eggs hatched etc. I'll happily eat cold invisible eggs, but webs and worms are where I draw the line.

It was a couple years ago. I've only had a stray pistachio at a bar since then.

• Like 1