• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Category of Pan is This?

Porthos

This may be the silliest question I ever ask - but know that I ask in all earnestness.

Several years ago my DW and I bought a extensive new set of pots and pans. The pan below is part of that set. I put in the cupboard and forgot it was even there. I re-discovered it earlier this year, pulled it out, and it has become possibly my favorite pan for any number of dinners I cook. It is a 5 qt pan, approx 9.75" across and 3.5" deep and has a matching lid.

If it didn't have the handle I would simply think of it as a 5 qt dutch oven based upon its dimensions. But it does have that handle. So my question is this: is it a 5 qt saucepan or is there a more accurate term for it? The engineer in me is looking for a more precise definition than "It's a pan."

IMAG0254.jpg

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

That's a medium saucier, or at least that's what my dad, who is a cordon-bleu trained chef, calls them. I've got two of them, and they are hands-down my favourite pans for most cooking.

• Like 2

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I have a few of these - called shallow sauce pan or "chef's pan" by Calphalon - (3 quart) And others called "sauciers" by various manufacturers.

The largest has a helper handle like yours and holds slightly less than 4 quarts - probably 4 quarts to the brim but I only poured two full 2-qt measures into it. It's copper from Bourgeat and was also listed as an "evasee" pan. I tried to buy another years ago but apparently it was discontinued - the one with the helper handle.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I thought sauciers had more curve on the bottom to aid whisking.

Looking at mine, they are more bell-bottomed than Porthos' pan, but according to dad, both are still sauciers in the sense that they are meant for sauces and some light poaching rather than frying.... Hmmmmm.....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Although it does not have the curved transition from side to bottom that I associate with a saucier I am using it for sauced-based items. It is now most definitely my spaghetti sauce (red sauce with meat) pan. Also, because of its volume, on my recommendation my daughter used it last evening to make creamed spinach from fresh spinach leaves. Knowing how bulky greens are until they cook down I felt that this pan would work well.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

To me it's definitely not a saucier but a saute pan. I also think it has been called a chicken fryer.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Chef's pan = correct. saute pans sides are 2 1/2 " at most. I have a copper set. some quite large. never use them too heavy.

they are for 'Arnold in the Kitchen' ( the large saute ) nothing would jump in those pans unless you were on 'roids.

To me it's definitely not a saucier but a saute pan. I also think it has been called a chicken fryer.

Regarding this pan set: A chicken fryer is part of the same set and it is larger in diameter and has lower (about 2.5") walls.

For some reason I thought a saute pan had to have sloping sides to qualify. Not trying to argue - just indicating my understanding.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I don't think I have ever heard of a "chef's pan" before today. A quick look on the interwebs does make this seem like the most likely name but also it looks like shape of the "chef's pan" is not nearly as tightly defined as say a stock pot.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

no its not

http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/reviewsrecommendations/ig/Cookware-Shapes/Chef-s-Pan.htm

I bet Chef's pan is relatively new. I also bet all my TWTR stock that

Auguste Escoffier never heard of one nor used one. His Loss.

pans evolve, classical names do not. but I can see that this might be an all around winner.

dont have one myself

following TWTR very very closely to look into one for myself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. I remembered about 5 minutes ago that I had finally found the mfg website sometime back and had bookmarked it on my laptop. This website was rather hard to find. Anyway the mfg (Vollrath's home kitchen division) calls it a 5 Quart Covered Sauce Pan/Deep Fryer. Here the link: http://www.pro-hgcookware.com/shop.php?c=20&p=66

Given that they give it a dual name I think within my kitchen I will give it the name of chef's pan.

Thanks for all of your help and input.

Going to my corner now to do my penance for not thinking clearly before asking the question...

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

That shape of pan is called a "sautoir", and has been called that in Europe for at least a century. A "Sauteuse" has the bell-shaped sloped sides to aid in evaporation and whisking in ingredients. Why this is called a "saucier" in N.America is beyond me, and I humbly request N.American cookware companies to describe their reasons for doing so.

no its not

http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/reviewsrecommendations/ig/Cookware-Shapes/Chef-s-Pan.htm

I bet Chef's pan is relatively new. I also bet all my TWTR stock that

Auguste Escoffier never heard of one nor used one. His Loss.

pans evolve, classical names do not. but I can see that this might be an all around winner.

dont have one myself

following TWTR very very closely to look into one for myself.

I don't know...Ask.com is notorious for sponsored posts. Looks like calphalon is behind this one. I never saw the term Chef's Pan till a WS catalog came out with it a few years ago.

""" calphalon is behind this one """

OK

but it is what it is.

its new-- ish

most of us have are life time pan set so this is not for us.

but its a new design that for those just starting out might be well looking into/