• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eat it Because It's Good For You

weinoo

BeeZee: good point and one I had totally forgotten about. I don't like drinking water and probably don't get enough. No, I know I don't drink enough..I can tolerate it with lime juice squirted into it, but am often too lazy and procrastinating to do anything positive about it. You really touched a sore spot for me. Thanks. :blush:

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

BeeZee: good point and one I had totally forgotten about. I don't like drinking water and probably don't get enough. No, I know I don't drink enough..I can tolerate it with lime juice squirted into it, but am often too lazy and procrastinating to do anything positive about it. You really touched a sore spot for me. Thanks. :blush:

I've taken to putting containers of flavored water in the fridge so I'm more inclined to consume...just a splash of fruit juice (maybe 1oz per 20oz bottle) is enough to color the water and somehow that makes me more apt to drink it. Drinking the recommended 64oz/day is really hard for me. At least I eat fruit/veg which contribute to general moisture intake!

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Yes, water is also mine. I got some tips for that from another forum; maybe they'll help someone here:

Drink herbal teas if you prefer hot drinks

Get bigger glasses and mugs

Always carry a bottle in your handbag

Add lemon, lime, berries, mint, cucumber or cordial to improve the flavour

Get a soda stream if you prefer fizzy water

Create a schedule, eg 1 glass with breakfast, 1 at 10am, 1 with lunch etc

Eat wet food like soup

Pair every other beverage with a glass of plain water

Something I can relate to as well. I don't like plain water; and I particularly don't like water at room temp.

I will drink sparkling water (seltzer or club soda) over ice with lemon.

the only "good for you" thing I have to consciously "force" myself to consume at times is water. Ironically, I drink plenty of water at work because I keep a large bottle on my desk which I can refill from the cooler...but at home I actually drink less water throughout the day.

I use to drink very little water a day until I recently had a small kidney stone which made me change my water consumption in a huge way. Now I try to drink 40-60oz of water a day

Lindag, La Croix makes canned, unsweetened flavoured sparkling water, lemon, lime, mixed berries, raspberry peach, etc. Not just sugar free, but totally unsweetened! (Artificial sweetner of any kind gags me, it's sugar or hfcs, etc or nuthin'!) Really good, but not really cheap.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I actually bought some La Croix a couple weeks ago; it was the unflavored variety. I had to throw it out because it had such an odd flavor - I can't describe it, but it was unlike any other seltzer or soda I've ever had before.