• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookie That's Not Homemade?

weinoo

I have had a craving for the coconut cookies like this. Used to be quite available. - no more

1 hour ago, Eatmywords said:

Oooh, those look so good!  Adding to list.   Have you tried the dark chocolate chip?  Insane for a commercial cookie 

Had the Famous Amos choc chip pecan a couple weeks ago.  One of my faves.  Not too many left that have the balls to use nuts. 

image.png.e211d0f5f5c5aa2417ce93d900f11cfe.png.

Between Famous Amos and Mrs. Fields in the 70's I do not know how we still managed our hip huggers and crop tops. Heavily marketed i L.A.  Guess coffee and no real food. T'was a time.   have been craving the coconut biscuits like this but not around much anymore. Sorta like these https://asianmart.com/products/lotte-butter-coconut-sweet-biscuit-10-58oz300g?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, Kim Shook said:

We just discovered these new cookies:

A7A0EA43-2967-4DB9-845D-D76C1D725D42.thumb.jpg.a0c479d883772026f0b5834c6cb914ad.jpg

They are maybe the best store bought cooky we’ve ever had.  They are like Pecan Sandies, if Pecan Sandies were made with butter.  They reminded us of cookies that I make called Dream cookies, but were more airy. 

Shoprite of course did not have them.  In consolation I bought the dark chocolate chip variety.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, Kim Shook said:

A7A0EA43-2967-4DB9-845D-D76C1D725D42.thumb.jpg.a0c479d883772026f0b5834c6cb914ad.jpg

They are maybe the best store bought cooky we’ve ever had.  They are like Pecan Sandies, if Pecan Sandies were made with butter.  They reminded us of cookies that I make called Dream cookies, but were more airy. 

Which exactly is new?  Is it Thin & Crispy cookies or is it the Butter Pecan variety?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Which exactly is new?  Is it Thin & Crispy cookies or is it the Butter Pecan variety?

Not sure.  Though I do notice that the other versions of Thin & Crispy (various chocolate chips) are easier to find in stores than the Butter Pecan.

• Thanks 1

I'm not a big cookie eater but the last thing I have every evening is 3 original Oreo Cookies.  They're just as good now as they were when I was 12.

Although there are many iterations of Oreos these day, I must have the 'original'....don't be screwing with my Oreos.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, Kim Shook said:

I had looked for those several times since the post about them. Finally found some today.  They are very good.  I can see myself buying those regularly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I had looked for those several times since the post about them. Finally found some today.  They are very good.  I can see myself buying those regularly.

You found the pecan ones?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You found the pecan ones?

Yep, i was at a couple of supermarkets today. Safeway didn't have them, but my Kroger affiliate did.   I got the only package they had, and it is disappearing fast.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:37 AM, Kim Shook said:

I found them at my local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store. They had a lot in stock.

They are 30 cents more expensive than their regular cookies (the new Irish Cream Milanos also cost 30 cents more than the regular Milanos).

These Butter Pecans are very good. Very crispy and tasting of butter. I'd say it was more of a "pecan sandie" cookie than a Butter Pecan cookie since the Pecan wasn't very noticeable or evident. The pecan chunks aren't very large. I guess Pepperidge Farms had to save money somewhere. :wink:

One side effect..my fingers smelled of butter afterwards and it was a good thing. xD

• Like 6

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

I found them at my local Walmart Neighborhood Grocery Store. They had a lot in stock.

They are 30 cents more expensive than their regular cookies (the new Irish Cream Milanos also cost 30 cents more than the regular Milanos).

These Butter Pecans are very good. Very crispy and tasting of butter. I'd say it was more of a "pecan sandie" cookie than a Butter Pecan cookie since the Pecan wasn't very noticeable or evident. The pecan chunks aren't very large. I guess Pepperidge Farms had to save money somewhere. :wink:

One side effect..my fingers smelled of butter afterwards and it was a good thing. xD

I got more at Walmart a couple of days ago.  True, not much pecan in them.  The other thing I notice is how fragile these cookies are.  I don't think I've ever bought packages of cookies that had more broken than these.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I got more at Walmart a couple of days ago.  True, not much pecan in them.  The other thing I notice is how fragile these cookies are.  I don't think I've ever bought packages of cookies that had more broken than these.  

Yes, they are quite crumbly. I don't know if you noticed but the usual paper cup that holds the cookies was replaced by a firmer plastic rectangle in the Butter Pecan bag. The top plastic cup did little to prevent the cookies in it from breaking/crumbling, but the cookies in the bottom plastic cup were all intact in the bag I purchased.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 6 months later...

Then there are these, which more often than not, suck. However, if you go to one of the few places which still make good ones, they can be delightful...

IMG_5807.thumb.jpeg.f5d66640caaffc2d6510e11f45f68ad1.jpeg

Yes,  the Black & White (and trust me, a mini is plenty).  I've had a few arguments with allegedly smart people who claim they are never great, but I digress.

In my opinion, a good one is the perfect marriage between cake and cookie, and these are good. Bad ones - well, they suck.

Orawasher's original location, on E. 78th St. 

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Trader Joe's pfeffernuesse.  This is 2nd Christmas I am bereft of these.   Had stalked TJ's for these every November since I first discovered them.

fyi, I asked on local social media if there was perhaps a German bakery in Guadalajara (an hour away) that made them.  No dice.  Then I got a message from a Brit living here who said she'd never made them, but baked for other expats and said she'd make for me.  They aren't the prettiest I've ever seen (a little flat) but flavors are spot on.  

Funny and heartwarming.  Looking for German cookies in Central Mexico and a Brit comes to this gringa's rescue.   

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 6:38 AM, weinoo said:

Then there are these, which more often than not, suck. However, if you go to one of the few places which still make good ones, they can be delightful...

IMG_5807.thumb.jpeg.f5d66640caaffc2d6510e11f45f68ad1.jpeg

Yes,  the Black & White (and trust me, a mini is plenty).  I've had a few arguments with allegedly smart people who claim they are never great, but I digress.

In my opinion, a good one is the perfect marriage between cake and cookie, and these are good. Bad ones - well, they suck.

Orawasher's original location, on E. 78th St. 

Another good place for the Black & White is William Greenberg, on Madison Avenue, not far from the Metropolitan Museum. So after some art, some sweets...

IMG_6933.thumb.jpeg.3d629621a31b55e86c6f6523aed0d112.jpeg

These two made it home. A third one, sadly, didn't!

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

"Not homemade" is a murky criterion. My favorite cookie was always a Florentine. Lacy, crunchy, a little chewy, with a thin dip of chocolate on one side. But like the black and white cookies, these were bakery items and some were great, many were ho-hum. No one I knew, especially not my mother, ever baked one at home.

I think of "not homemade" as being a cookie that's a brand name, and therefore consistent wherever you buy them. These days, for a snacking cookie, I like Effie's. My favorites are the  oatcakes, which is what I can buy here. Effie's also makes a chocolate cookie. We were able to buy them in two places in Asheville, but no one sells them around here that I know of. They were really delicious.

6 hours ago, weinoo said:

Another good place for the Black & White is William Greenberg, on Madison Avenue, not far from the Metropolitan Museum. So after some art, some sweets...

IMG_6933.thumb.jpeg.3d629621a31b55e86c6f6523aed0d112.jpeg

These two made it home. A third one, sadly, didn't!

I my three years in NYC I never had one that didn't look better than it ate.

But I never had those.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

I my three years in NYC I never had one that didn't look better than it ate.

But I never had those.

Both Orawahser's and Greenberg's are surprisingly worthy.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Like many of us, I was introduced to Biscoff cookies on an airline flight.  Still love them and when I (rarely) see them in MX stores I always stock up.  

Yesterday I spotted some at the 99 Cent Store in Tucson and grabbed them as it's been at least a year since I last had them.

When I tore into them at home, I was surprised to see a schmear of chocolate on top.  At first I was dismayed that my beloved Biscoff had been besmirched, but a after a few bites.....mmmmm, good. 

New to me, but guessing they've been around awhile??

biscoff choc.jpg

• Like 2